What is best away grounds been to past and present

B4ev6is

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really enjoyed peterborough when I wen was a cracking atmosphere and was nice to stand on an actual terrace. Been to Wembley a few times and as long as I'm not in the top tier I think it's a really good experience. Wasn't a fan of the old Ashton Gate when i went but would like to give it another go, Elland Road is a weird one as it's a good stadium but it's the only time i've ever really felt pretty nervous after a game. I liked Luton when i went in 06 season, bit like peterborough very old fashioned and close to the pitch although there is 0 leg room. Stoke would be good if it wasn't for the wind blowing in the ground which makes you absolutely freezing.... 

Been to Old Trafford a few times and it's a great ground but not so great if you're in the away end and don't like heights....  also went to Anfield the year we got relegated but i was so young i can barely remember it. Barnsley is always a good trip and if we take a few thousand sheff wednesday is always fun just because of easy access to the pubs, actually prefer it to sheff united as a ground i think.. although it is close. Preston is a nice ground and i always stop over with a mate in lancaster when i go so i have a good time no matter what. Although getting back last year was a nightmare.  City ground used to be good when we had a big allocation and i saw the 10 man win live so i'll always enjoy that... 

Really don't love Birmingham, Ipswich nor Blackburn really but they're the only ones i can think of that i actively don't like.  Even though at Blackburn i saw a cracking 3-2 win.... 

Hawthorns  when terrace was pretty good. Main Road, great atmosphere (Kippax in full voice, only around 200 Rams there trying to blend in as Citehh fans in amongst us. 

Worst Bradford City before the fire has to be up there. Falling apart, Roy Mac had just left them and the locals decided concrete tennis was a great game, spent most of game looking up at the heavens dodging the stuff, it was the little bits that got you, couldn't see them coming

I used to love a trip to Ninian Park. I’m not old enough to remember the days of terraces at every ground. It felt to me like experiencing what football used to be. Stood on a dingy terrace and always a good and hostile atmosphere.

Barnsley is good when they let you take 8000 ?

I also like Craven Cottage.

On 23/04/2020 at 15:06, TexasRam said:

Brentford, griffin park. The pubs around the ground are great and it’s terracing, doesn’t get better than that. Shame it’s going away ?

enjoyed the last few visits there even tho the results have been less desirable 

On 01/05/2020 at 08:16, popside ossie end popside said:

Hawthorns  when terrace was pretty good. Main Road, great atmosphere (Kippax in full voice, only around 200 Rams there trying to blend in as Citehh fans in amongst us. 

Worst Bradford City before the fire has to be up there. Falling apart, Roy Mac had just left them and the locals decided concrete tennis was a great game, spent most of game looking up at the heavens dodging the stuff, it was the little bits that got you, couldn't see them coming

I can remember getting concrete launched at us from a flyover at Bristol Rovers Eastville Stadium in the 80's.

I can also remember I had to get the service train there because the football special was full. £15 for the train ticket was a helluva lot for a 17 year old back then !!

On 23/04/2020 at 16:49, Robram said:

Thats brought the memories back . Newport away new years day and it was peeing it down. Mark Wallington walking up and down the goal line pretending to hold an umbrella like in Singing in the Rain . 

Do you remember the season before at Newport County , last game of the season Div 3 1984/85? Just 4 seasons later we finished 5th in Div 1

Derby fans smashed up the ground & smashed the buses taking the Derby fans back to the station. The previous season Derby fans had smashed up Shrewsbury's Gay Meadow on the last day of the season

Also, the train back stopped briefly right outside Birmingham's St Andrews where some Brum fans were trying to beckon us off the train to help them fight with the Leeds fans ( where a young fan had died )

Very different times !!

Sadly, it was also the day of the Bradford City fire

6 minutes ago, SamUltraRam said:

Do you remember the season before at Newport County , last game of the season Div 3 1984/85? Just 4 seasons later we finished 5th in Div 1

Derby fans smashed up the ground & smashed the buses taking the Derby fans back to the station. The previous season Derby fans had smashed up Shrewsbury's Gay Meadow on the last day of the season

Also, the train back stopped briefly right outside Birmingham's St Andrews where some Brum fans were trying to beckon us off the train to help them fight with the Leeds fans ( where a young fan had died )

Very different times !!

image.thumb.png.d6deba5b40c7c78262d7a8bb1425c3a6.png

Definitely the City Ground, Nottingham. Really smart ground, great atmosphere, character, great facilities and the way the home supporters share their piss with the away fans...well that is just a unique feature.

Actually, I'm feeling a bit feverish, running a temperature, headache, dry cough...........delirium. 

Personally Ashton Gate has improved from bad to quite good for me - and it is my closest ground

I went to a concert at the new west ham ground london stadium whatever it is called and I thought that was pretty special apart from beer prices - I was not expecting that after the amount of whinging the hammers fans had done lol

but for Derby away I thought the Emirates was good but we were hammered - have we only been there once ??

Hawthorns is OK and Wolves is pretty good too

Dislike the Ricoh

The old Lancashire grounds bring back a good deal of memories :

Turf Moor, Burnley - always enjoyed the banter, which to me has always been friendly and no aggression.

Burnden Park, Bolton, which once had a railway line behind one end and appeared in several films.

Gigg Lane, Bury - the only time I've been there was in the 1968-69 old 2nd Division.

Maine Road, Manchester City - brilliant atmosphere and dodging the thugs going back to Piccadilly station.

2 hours ago, SamUltraRam said:

Very different times !!

Was at Newport that day as well , was a wild day

On 01/05/2020 at 08:16, popside ossie end popside said:

i remember that my owd... forget football it wa all about dodging conrete.

Archived