What is best away grounds been to past and present

B4ev6is

3 hours ago, FindernRam said:

I was born and lived near Newton Abbot till I came to Derby at 18. Hence my affiliation even today for Torquay. Our family were poor and depended on a friend to get me and Dad to most home gains in his battered Ford Pop. Got to occasional Exeter games (without parental knowledge) by taking train on a platform ticket.

Exeter in those days had  (maybe still has) a good speedway team and Rugby Union which I think drew crowd away from the Grecians!

Think it is one of my favourite cities though.

i did the opposite, born in Derby and live just outside of exeter,work in plymouth.

its hands down in a better condition then argyles now, home park is really run down at the moment,wheras city are attempting to spend some funds on repairing theirs after years of neglect

speedway has long gone,flattened into a housing estate now, rugby's the sport here most people follow.built a new stadium for chiefs on the outskirts by digby a few years ago,its quite nice tbh,a bit like bournemouth's

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 24/04/2020 at 15:02, Jimbo Ram said:

I lived in Waghorn Road in Upton Park for a year, road just off the tube station. Police horses used to go passed my front door on a Saturday and I could hear the crowd from my house. Saw the Rams at Upton Park a few times, including the infamous League Cup quarter final when the Dean Saunders winner was ruled out......

I was there that night, as a 17 year old, a cracking atmosphere in the away end, Derby fans in home seats to the left of us, got there late on the tube asked a policeman the way to the Derby end, shouted at the top of his voice your Derby then, got chased down the road by a few locals as Derby had smashed the pub up early on, great game, and outside it was crazy, yes West Ham was a great away day, also enjoy Fulham, Palace and QPR, had some great day and nights out, also enjoy my trips to South Yorkshire as well, enjoy a few drinks in Sheffield before hand. And Barnsley we always seem to take great numbers, worst ground I have been to Chesterfield old ground had splitters sitting on a old bench with no back to it lol, also port Vale was a bit of a dive. 

22 hours ago, SIXTEEN AGAIN said:

The season before for the abandoned game, me and my old man drove down and got delayed due to the car breaking down. Just got over the Severn Bridge hoping to get in at half-time only to hear that it had been called off

For the  game after the abandoned one, my mate got banned for throwing bricks after a welsh copper arrested him. Mistaken identity though so i had to suffer the next year with him whinging how he couldn't get a season ticket for 1986/87 due to the copper's myopia?

i was soaked in a packed home end but it was ok with my accent .. i probably got battered in the Derby away end tho ?

20 hours ago, Derby blood said:

I was there that night, as a 17 year old, a cracking atmosphere in the away end, Derby fans in home seats to the left of us, got there late on the tube asked a policeman the way to the Derby end, shouted at the top of his voice your Derby then, got chased down the road by a few locals as Derby had smashed the pub up early on, great game, and outside it was crazy, yes West Ham was a great away day, also enjoy Fulham, Palace and QPR, had some great day and nights out, also enjoy my trips to South Yorkshire as well, enjoy a few drinks in Sheffield before hand. And Barnsley we always seem to take great numbers, worst ground I have been to Chesterfield old ground had splitters sitting on a old bench with no back to it lol, also port Vale was a bit of a dive. 

I was in the home end, behind the goal that Saunders didn't score in....

Archived