Misconceptions About Celebrities

Bob The Badger

I was reading @Gee SCREAMER !! and @DarkFruitsRam7 knock Richard Madeley and I felt I needed to correct their misconception about him.

Madeley was the presenter of a TV quiz program back in the 80s called Runway.

I was crazy into quizzes then and did a bunch on TV and Radio 1 including that one.

Anyway, the perception of Madeley that I read about isn't accurate at all when you meet the guy in person and I think it's only fair to put the record straight.

He's actually a much bigger dick than most people think.

He's smarmier and more aloof than can you possibly imagine.

He swanned into rehearsal (that he never took active part in) smoking a cigarette, wearing sunglasses and sipping a can of diet coke and never once spoke to the participants.

He looked at some random notes and then swanned back out again.

Then on the actual show he was all smiles and fake bonhomie.

Knob.

And I know you wondering if I won. I actually did, thanks for asking.

The premise as it was called Runway was you got to pick a holiday destination as your prize.

I said I wanted to go to the Super Bowl to which the greatest living comedian retorted, 'What? The supermarket?' (and I swear I'm not making any of this poo up).

What I actually got was a cheque for about 20% of what it would have cost me to have gone to the Super Bowl.

Any misconceptions you want to correct?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Bob The Badger said:

I was reading @Gee SCREAMER !! and @DarkFruitsRam7 knock Richard Madeley and I felt I needed to correct their misconception about him.

Madeley was the presenter of a TV quiz program back in the 80s called Runway.

I was crazy into quizzes then and did a bunch on TV and Radio 1 including that one.

Anyway, the perception of Madeley that I read about isn't accurate at all when you meet the guy in person and I think it's only fair to put the record straight.

He's actually a much bigger dick than most people think.

He's smarmier and more aloof than can you possibly imagine.

He swanned into rehearsal (that he never took active part in) smoking a cigarette, wearing sunglasses and sipping a can of diet coke and never once spoke to the participants.

He looked at some random notes and then swanned back out again.

Then on the actual show he was all smiles and fake bonhomie.

Knob.

And I know you wondering if I won. I actually did, thanks for asking.

The premise as it was called Runway was you got to pick a holiday destination as your prize.

I said I wanted to go to the Super Bowl to which the greatest living comedian retorted, 'What? The supermarket?' (and I swear I'm not making any of this poo up).

What I actually got was a cheque for about 20% of what it would have cost me to have gone to the Super Bowl.

Any misconceptions you want to correct?

So did you like him or not 

A mate of mine worked for a phone shop around the year 2000 and Ulrike Jonsson came to do a big promotion. She spoke to everyone like poo and demanded he go out and get her a water. On the way back from the shop he took the top off, wiped his finger under his armpit and then wiped it around the bottle opening before replacing the cap. Karma. 

1 minute ago, sage said:

A mate of mine worked for a phone shop around the year 2000 and Ulrike Jonsson came to do a big promotion. She spoke to everyone like poo and demanded he go out and get her a water. On the way back from the shop he took the top off, wiped his finger under his armpit and then wiped it around the bottle opening before replacing the cap. Karma. 

LMAO, the first time I read that I thought you'd said 'he took her top off'. I thought that was a #metoo moment if ever there was one.

Was sitting in a car waiting for a green light in Walnut Creek California.  After a few minutes of waiting my mother and i began wondering what was going on.  Shortly thereafter 4 motorcycle cops rolled through the intersection followed by a few black limos and more motorcycle cops on the end.  Some guy was waiving from the backseat of one of the limos as if he owned the place.  Almost missed my dental appointment because of him.

What a Gerald Ford

Met a lot over the years.

Des Lynam was great.

Gordon banks was lovely . Both through mate who was a rep for first choice holidays

The bloke from two unlimited was not, Dean Gaffney was a *******, Naseem Hamed ditto.  Mick Hucknall had an annoying habit of clicking fingers when wanted attention, but tips like no one else . Meet loads over the years out and about in clubland during my youth.

The foulest celebrity I met was Don Estelle from Aint half hot mum at the age of about 11. Awful, awful pretentious man

My brother was once in a lift with just him and David Jason. 

He loved it so flustered 'Can I just say how much I love you in Only Fools and Horses, Del Boy's probably my favourite character ever'. 

To which David apparently kinda sighed loudly and sneered 'I have been in a lot of other things you know'. 

Maybe he had just had a long day but my brother refused to watch it ever again saying he was totally obnoxious. 

My missus has met quite a few through her work.

Danny Dyer, who was lovely but insisted on walking her to the bank to make sure he was paid in cash, rather than invoice.

Jimmy Carr and Rachael Riley, pleasant but professional.

Naga Munchetti(sic), BBC news, too nice for words, and very elegant and pleasant in real life.

Chris Kamara after two League cup finals, 1st time he insisted on signing gear for our lad once she'd chatted with him, next year he asked for her by name and handed over a load of signed goodies having remembered the name!

Ben Sheppard, needs all the make up he can get.

Alex Zane is one who stands out, she had to fetch him 3 packs of Fags during his day at her company, he was the last one standing at the evening event, then returned the next year uninvited and unpaid because he'd had such a great time the year before!

1 hour ago, reverendo de duivel said:

Chris Kamara after two League cup finals, 1st time he insisted on signing gear for our lad once she'd chatted with him, next year he asked for her by name and handed over a load of signed goodies having remembered the name!

Met Chris Kamara at the 2007 play off final, always assumed he was a Bamford, was proven wrong, he seemed a genuine guy who couldn’t believe how lucky he has been to be a professional footballer. 
He was very modest and spoke very highly of Derby as a club.

3 hours ago, Chester40 said:

My brother was once in a lift with just him and David Jason. 

He loved it so flustered 'Can I just say how much I love you in Only Fools and Horses, Del Boy's probably my favourite character ever'. 

To which David apparently kinda sighed loudly and sneered 'I have been in a lot of other things you know'. 

He should have said “ yeah, but you were Shiite in everything else”

1 hour ago, reverendo de duivel said:

Naga Munchetti(sic), BBC news, too nice for words, and very elegant and pleasant in real life.

She was on Richard Osman's House of Games the other week. Bangable ?

Seriously though, despite not being much of a fan of Pointless or Osman, you can quite often get a decent read on the character of the contestants on HOG because they're there for 5 shows and there's not much room for pretense.

During school & university holidays (back in the late 80's & early 90's) I used to work at Fischers (Michelin Star hotel in Baslow) and met quite a few celebs & footballers/managers based in Sheffield at the time.

They were all very pleasant and friendly except for one: ITV weather girl, Sian Lloyd. She was an utter cow the whole evening and even uttered the immortal words "Do you know who I am". My now Sister in Law simply said "No" at the time, which didn't go down well. Of course what she should have said is "Yeah, you're the one who's going to get dumped in the future by Lembit Opik for a Cheeky Girl!"

We live just down the road from Lady Gaga and when I was passing her house, she stopped me for a chat. She was very nice indeed and even had a selfie with me on my bike.

...........although this may have been a dream. From last night, in fact. Weird.

1 hour ago, Van Wolfie said:

We live just down the road from Lady Gaga and when I was passing her house, she stopped me for a chat. She was very nice indeed and even had a selfie with me on my bike.

...........although this may have been a dream. From last night, in fact. Weird.

Weird you didn’t poker face.

Archived