Misconceptions About Celebrities

Bob The Badger

Rik Mayall - Despite his on-screen/stage crazy persona (and funny with it), offstage he was a lovely, polite man when I met him. Much missed. My brother met Keith Chegwin and Melvyn Hayes on a sky tv talent show. Cheggers was the presenter and good fun and friendly Hayes was a judge and a sour-face.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Linda Lusardi, back when she was famous and proper fit, innit!  

She never once responded to any of my letters, and refused to answer the door when ever I visited.  Despite numerous requests, she flatly refused to send me a "keepsake" of hers.
In fact I never actually met her face to face until the court date.

I got off... quite a few times, to be honest!

5 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

I bet Sunderland fans absolutely hate the FACT that all away fans who are staying over, all seem to spend the evening in Newcastle!  ?

Just sayin'.

My dad's maternal side of the family all came from South Shields and support Sunderland, so probably should have been a bit more loyal. When your with 12 others the mob rules.  Can't say I took too much convincing.  I did get stuck in the lift back at the hotel with four other  blokes including a very large and stressed scouser who regretted he hadn't took the stairs ( or words to that effect) so I served my penance.

A couple of celebrity tales from my early working life;

I once refused A.P McCoy entry to Uttoxeter racecourse when I was marshalling on the car park because he didn't have the right badge to enter the area I was looking after and I had no idea who he was. He dropped the "Do you know who the duck I am?" line, after which I got a gentle tap on the shoulder from my boss and sent for a break. He called me a series of expletives as he wound his window up and drove off ?

Second one is that I sold Tony Christie a mobile phone contract when I worked at EE, I didn't realise who he was until I had to ask him various questions to run a credit check.

Despite me not knowing who he was for the first half of our conversation (which he likely put down to the fact his heyday was a bit before my time) he was an incredibly polite and charming bloke.

I spent a couple of seasons going to the games in the Directors Box and VIP suite with my Dad. Met loads of visiting managers. coaches and scouts.

The nicest was Nigel Spackman, who had a chat about the game and asked what I thought to tactics and substitutions etc. Just like talking to a fellow fan.

The worst by far was Howard Wilkinson who had an awful cream coloured overcoat and a face like Victor Meldrew licking urine off a nettle. Just turned his back if someone spoke to him.

My brother was next to Jeffrey Holland (Spike from Hi de Hi) at a urinal in a Portsmouth pub, My brother farted and Jeffrey said 'more tea Vicar?'. I think he was in panto at the time.

Met BC once in a hotel bar. He was only slightly drunk and gave me and my mates loads of football advice. All simple stuff but genius nonetheless.

Bumped into 4 England cricketers on a beach in Antigua and they all hired Jet Skis. One drove like a loon and got them thrown off. Yes you guessed it Ben Stokes. They joined in our game of cricket and I was about to face Bairstow's bowling when I hit the last ball from my mate into a river and the players all left. They were friendly enough though. Also on a cricket note, Ian Bell bought me a beer in a Mumbai hotel (the same one that terrorists attacked a year later), He was a top bloke and had a brief chat. 

I also swam in Kinkladze's swimming pool when Derby were playing away and no one was in.

Oh I forgot one. I sold Lee Dixon car insurance over the phone and only worked out who he was when I quizzed him as to why he was retired at 36. Nice modest bloke and had a good chat about Derby.  

Did hear a great one on the radio once .

A couple were out in Dublin for there engagement weekend break in some fancy restaurant .  They spot Bono and his mate at a table .

Bono go's off for a minute and the bloke heads over too his table and asks his mate if  he could ask Bono on there behalf for a picture/ autograph after there meal. Explains there in Dublin celebrating there engagement and it would finish the weekend of lovely. That there big fans of U2 Etc

Bono comes back and a minute later his mates waves the couple over . Bonos very pleasant -signs a menu and his mate takes a couple of pictures

On leaving the couple go to pay there bill.  Bloke behind the desk says someones already paid . 

The lady asks was it Bono , isn't it lovely he paid for our meal.

Bloke behind the desk says ' no your man sat with him Bruce Springsteen did . He says enjoy the rest of your engagement weekend.

Archived