Joe Hart - Signed for Spurs

Charlie George

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Ted McMinn Football Genius said:

As it looks like CM is leaving us and his wages are now left in the coffers, maybe we have already decided to utilise those funds to draw JH in to the club. 
Im a CM fan don’t get me wrong..... but, I would trade CM for JH we need a decent keeper more than CM right now. 
Just a thought ??

Whilst I would be happy with Joe Hart ( actually delighted) we would still need for me two more centre forwards for the championship on top of Waghorn and Marriott which we just can’t rely on ( maybe hector Ingram can step up ) 

1 hour ago, Ramfan1958 said:

If you pay cheap you get cheap I can't think of 2 worse goalkeepers in the championship than Roos & Hammer .

Hart is still young in goalkeeping terms .

Maybe he is young in goalkeeping terms and yes he's got to be better than Hamer and Roos but I just do not rate the guy.  I never have.  I much rather we go for an up and coming young goalkeeper.....there must be some around surely?

2 hours ago, oldtimeram said:

Maybe he is young in goalkeeping terms and yes he's got to be better than Hamer and Roos but I just do not rate the guy.  I never have.  I much rather we go for an up and coming young goalkeeper.....there must be some around surely?

Quite funny. He has achieved far more than our best 3 goalkeepers of the last 40 years. Would you have Shilton back? We signed him and he was deemed past it. Even though he was outstanding he was still known as a bit of a flapper. And we were in the top flight and paid a fortune for him (at the time). We are now in the 2nd tier and while I think many are too harsh on Hamer/Roos, we could improve on them. 

29 minutes ago, R@M said:

Quite funny. He has achieved far more than our best 3 goalkeepers of the last 40 years. Would you have Shilton back? We signed him and he was deemed past it. Even though he was outstanding he was still known as a bit of a flapper. And we were in the top flight and paid a fortune for him (at the time). We are now in the 2nd tier and while I think many are too harsh on Hamer/Roos, we could improve on them. 

We didn't pay a fortune for Shilton it was a nominal fee of £100k. The oft quoted figure of a million was largely made up of his wages, a large proportion of which were bonus and incentives which probably were in part never realised. 

8 hours ago, Ramfan1958 said:

If you pay cheap you get cheap I can't think of 2 worse goalkeepers in the championship than Roos & Hammer .

There's Simon Sluga for a start.

He'd have been worse (he was worse!), but rewind the clock 16 months, retain your knowledge of Roos/Hamers ability, watch his highlight reel and you'd maybe be first in line calling him an improvement and saying we should sign him!

7 hours ago, R@M said:

Hart is not in the same league as Shilton.  I just think we could do better by looking for a talented keeper on the way up, not a keeper on the way down wanting his final pay cheque.

7 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

We didn't pay a fortune for Shilton it was a nominal fee of £100k. The oft quoted figure of a million was largely made up of his wages, a large proportion of which were bonus and incentives which probably were in part never realised. 

It was widely reported we smashed our wage structure and he was in the top 20 best paid players in the country. Whether he was 100k or 1 mil signing, that is still a substantial outlay. My actual point remains the same, Hart has not fluked his achievements and he is on a free. If he takes an offer we can afford it would be n immense signing. 

If he joins i will assume Cocu knows best. My personal opinion is that he can only be better than what we presently have,although I am sure we could find better taking into account his probable high wages. Would be a surprise if he joined as I thought city got rid because he was weak playing the ball out from the back,some thing Cocu has tried to encourage and implement.

50 minutes ago, ram1964 said:

If he joins i will assume Cocu knows best. My personal opinion is that he can only be better than what we presently have,although I am sure we could find better taking into account his probable high wages. Would be a surprise if he joined as I thought city got rid because he was weak playing the ball out from the back,some thing Cocu has tried to encourage and implement.

The ‘weak from playing out from the back’ comment I’ve seen numerous times and I really struggle to understand. 

Not good enough to play from the back for Man City who can pay tens of millions for a replacement I understand. Man City wanted a Rolls Royce and could afford to go and get one.... we aren’t in that position. I have an 06 reg Skoda Fabia. It’s not pretty but does the job and does the job well for my budget. If I could I’d go and get an Aston Martin but I can’t.

If and it is a big if we can afford Hart I really can’t see why we wouldn’t do it. We won’t get better in this division.

I dont think the whole talk of wages is really too much of an issue either, everyone knows he would have to take a pay cut but he will have to do that wherever he goes and from what he has said I reckon he is willing to do so to get first team football.

Lets say we sign him for free on a 3 year deal at say 25k per week that would make his contract worth £3.9m, even on 30k a week its £4.68m

Imo we wont be able to find anyone better than Hart for that price. If you want someone on a lower wage, say 15-20k for 3yrs they would have to cost under £1.5m transfer fee to cost less than Hart. 

I just cant see us finding better for that value. Happy to be proven wrong.

Anyone wanting Carson back then dismissing Hart is also ridiculous, Hart is a much better goalkeeper than Carson and even more so playing out from the back.

41 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

Lets say we sign him for free on a 3 year deal at say 25k per week that would make his contract worth £3.9m, even on 30k a week its £4.68m

Imo we wont be able to find anyone better than Hart for that price. If you want someone on a lower wage, say 15-20k for 3yrs they would have to cost under £1.5m transfer fee to cost less than Hart. 

I just cant see us finding better for that value. Happy to be proven wrong.

That's the kind of crazy wages that have got us into trouble.

We need to have some sense of reality. Clubs have lost a whole load of income since March. There will be no fans in stadia until October at the earliest.

And with the trials of live attended events that were due to go ahead this week now postponed, who is to say if October will even happen.

The fact is that budgets are way, way down.

The only Championship clubs that might be able to afford to pay those kind of wages are those that have been recently relegated and are in receipt of payments from the Premier League.

We need to move on and look at options from leagues that have a much lower wage structure, so we can offer something attractive.

Joe Hart would be a brilliant signing in my opinion.  Aside from his qualities as a goalkeeper,  consider the leadership qualities he would bring into the squad. The wealth of experience that he has gained from being in and around the highest levels of football for the majority of his career would be hugely beneficial to our young team.

26 minutes ago, thekingofbuxton said:

Joe Hart would be a brilliant signing in my opinion.  Aside from his qualities as a goalkeeper,  consider the leadership qualities he would bring into the squad. The wealth of experience that he has gained from being in and around the highest levels of football for the majority of his career would be hugely beneficial to our young team.

we've already got that in Wazza tho - we'd be paying twice for the same sort of resource.

5 hours ago, therealhantsram said:

That's the kind of crazy wages that have got us into trouble.

We need to have some sense of reality. Clubs have lost a whole load of income since March. There will be no fans in stadia until October at the earliest.

And with the trials of live attended events that were due to go ahead this week now postponed, who is to say if October will even happen.

The fact is that budgets are way, way down.

The only Championship clubs that might be able to afford to pay those kind of wages are those that have been recently relegated and are in receipt of payments from the Premier League.

We need to move on and look at options from leagues that have a much lower wage structure, so we can offer something attractive.

What kind of wages do you think we should be paying a top end goalie who can play out from the back? Because even at 15k a week with a transfer fee that would be similar to Hart on 25k

Archived