Max Bird

JfR

Max is grounded. Max is clever and he's still got a lot of work to do at the football club that have helped him get into this position.

If he loves football as much as I think he does, he will want to stay, learn and develop with the wonderful club he belongs too.

As for FL he can stay where he belongs and if his so called football club are such a top club then surely it's own Acadamy and all it's youth teams and all the players they have out on loan etc and all the rest is everything he requires.

If our club ever wants to be in the Premiership and challenge the likes of Chelsea it has to be strong off the pitch and find other ways to do it's business instead of being shafted by Chelsea, Watford and all the rest.

In March, Bird signed a new four-year contract, keeping him at the club until 2022.

Max Bird can still regularly go and play in London in the white shirt of Derby and in the white shirt of England.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Could Huddlestone get a new much reduced contact, Beliek back from injury, Evans still has a year and the players have deferred wages,  we have three players, the club will need the money I feel he may well have to sell, it's a shame but that's championship, if we were prem we would be able to laugh at this but we are in a very difficult situation.

24 minutes ago, JfR said:

My Chelsea acquaintances tell me this lad usually knows what he's talking about

Tammy Abraham would have zero interest in playing in the championship now he's made a breakthrough at Chelsea, even if Chelsea didn't want him he could go to middling PL team.  Glad they're not serious in Max Bird anyway, he's a way off being considered for the Chelsea first team and would most likely been in the championship with all the other Chelsea loan players. 

You’d find it hard to believe if it was any other Championship club.

But since it’s us, you’d have to imagine there’s no smoke without fire.

There have been too many instances of us selling players well below market value to think otherwise.

It flies in the face of everything Mel is looking to build, but you’d have to think that finances come first.

If it’s not Chelsea, another Premier League club is going to try and exploit our financial position.

I don’t think this is the last we have heard of this.

For me, at the start of the season, Max was behind a lot of other academy products. How does he compare with Bogle, Lowe, Knight or Sibley? I think he may still be. He has done incredibly well to force his way through into the team around Christmas time and become an important part player. But only for a fleeting period of time so far. 

If there's a chance to sign for Chelsea, a top Premier League club and likely Champions League football, of course he should be keen to go. If he doesn't want to better himself I'd be surprised. And we have to be realistic, that is bettering himself. 

A transfer to such a high-profile team should always merit a high-profile fee. But we're in strange times and only the key people at the club will know what's required to survive.  If we're desperate and £5m makes all the difference then good business sense says we need to take the £5m with money up front. If we're not desperate we shouldn't be selling to them for less than £10m.

If they're really not interested then where has the story come from? The club trying to flog him or his agent trying to stir up interest are the two most likely scenarios.

18 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

For me, at the start of the season, Max was behind a lot of other academy products.

Earlier in the season when Knight was playing regularly, someone on this forum said that according to the academy coaches, Bird was the furthest ahead. I thought that was strange at the time but then he emerged amazingly.

Anyway, sell anyone but Knight, Bird & Sibley. These are the holy trinity. Sell Rooney first.

Could be a fake story before selling him for £15m. Then everyone goes “oh yes, £15m...that’s much better”.

Steve Nicholson on Derbyshire Live website today:

”To add context. Derby have not received a firm approach or interest for Bird from Chelsea, so we could just be dealing in speculation here. Nor would they sell for £5m. The fee would have to be in double figures millions, I would imagine, although the transfer market is likely to be flat and very different once football restarts following the coronavirus pandemic.

Derby have always said that they would not sell a player unless the offer is right for the club and too good to turn down. That goes for Bogle, Bird, and every player in the squad.”

Derby see both young players, and other youngsters like Louie Sibley and Jason Knight, developing nicely and they probably see the value of Bird and Bogle increasing as both continue to rack up first-team appearances and impress.

2 hours ago, secretsquirrel said:

Think transfer fees will be much changed post lockdown-its hard to guess what the reset market will be.

Quite. I think we will see very few transfers this summer. Clubs have NO idea when they will next be able to earn any revenue.  They certainly won't be wanting spend speculative cash on CHampionship teenagers.

More likely to see lots of players released and clubs relying on promoting their youth who are on low wages.

13 minutes ago, Arsene Titman said:

Steve Nicholson on Derbyshire Live website today:

”To add context. Derby have not received a firm approach or interest for Bird from Chelsea, so we could just be dealing in speculation here. Nor would they sell for £5m. The fee would have to be in double figures millions, I would imagine, although the transfer market is likely to be flat and very different once football restarts following the coronavirus pandemic.

Derby have always said that they would not sell a player unless the offer is right for the club and too good to turn down. That goes for Bogle, Bird, and every player in the squad.”

Derby see both young players, and other youngsters like Louie Sibley and Jason Knight, developing nicely and they probably see the value of Bird and Bogle increasing as both continue to rack up first-team appearances and impress.

I thought Nicholson had been furloughed? Is he now back "working "?

Just now, Duracell said:

Oscar Wilde famously penned that a cynic is "a man who knows the price of everything, and the value of nothing." 

If we sold Bird for £5m, it would prove that we don't know about price or value.

This Bamfordy pretentious post was brought to you by the Covid-19 lockdown.

Archived