Max Bird

JfR

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Given that Cocu’s remit as manager is to bring through young talent, I can’t see us selling any of our emerging stars. 

Knight, Bird and Sibley will all stay as they know there is chances for them here. Keep Lowe as he is a top class championship left back when he is 100% fit. 

The only one I could see us selling is Bogle as he will have a value around £10 million allowing us to balance the books for any much needed incomings (centre back and winger). 

Ebosele could be the one to step up and replace him. In an ideal world we wouldn’t sell Bogle as he is the best RB in this league.

1 minute ago, Millenniumram said:

5m is the absolute bare minimum I’d be entertaining for Bird, given what he’s shown so far, and more significantly, his potential.

Why would you even entertain 5m? Not only is he phenomenal and only 19, but it'd also probably cost more than that to adequately replace him.

17 minutes ago, Dcfcsr92 said:

Derby holding out for 5m for max Bird is this some kind of sick joke! 

https://www.footballinsider247.com/exclusive-Derby-county-price-tag-revealed-as-chelsea-sniff-bargain-deal/

Forgive my ignorance, but has "footballinsider" even broken a real story before? This seems a classic case of reputation building. 

If we choose to sell Bird (big if), then it's likely going to be above 5mill. "Football Insider" could then claim they had inside knowledge when in reality anyone could have worked it out and made that statement. 

1 hour ago, Andicis said:

Why would you even entertain 5m? Not only is he phenomenal and only 19, but it'd also probably cost more than that to adequately replace him.

Probably didn’t make that clear - I meant I would entertain 5m (at a minimum) if Bird wanted to leave. No point keeping a player who doesn’t want to be here - and you couldn’t blame him wanting to leave if the big boys come calling with big contracts. Personally I’d still try and get a couple of million more than that for him, but the trouble is if we have to sell him this summer, then he’ll have only played about 20 pro games - which means he won’t be worth real big money just yet. We would be selling potential, not proven quality. 

And that’s exactly why I wouldn’t entertain selling him at all if he didn’t want to leave. We simply wouldn’t be getting good value for him at this moment in time. We’d be much better off waiting until he’s worth real big money before we cash in, after a full season or two playing regular football for us. If we are in desperate need of cash, then I’d be looking at selling Bogle not Bird - he’s the one who would be likely to raise an 8 figure sum at the moment in my opinion.

I usually have a little chuckle on the valuation of some of our players on here but even I think 5 million is not enough for our crown jewel currently. I would be looking for 7-8 million plus a season long loan back to us for next season. I think we have to be realistic and understand that part of the remit of the academy is to create some funds though......

Archived