Max Bird

JfR

I still get grumpy when my Watford mate reminds me of how little they paid for Will.  Why do we never seem to cash in like other clubs.  OK I don't expect us to sell him for £15m+ but £5m feels ludicrously low considering his quality.  Unless he goes for £5m, with an immediate guaranteed (no recall) season long loan back, plus a 10-15% sell on fee......

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don’t think we will see him go or sold cheaply. The long term for this club will be 100% playing the academy players.

We will lose circa £7 million at a guess of the wage bill this summer/between seasons.

The club will look at this and investment externally to keep us going in the short to medium term. Morris May write cheques to get through these few months but I can only imagine he will loan it this time.

Every club will be in a similar predicament - little cash around this summer and out of contract players may find less offers/money from other clubs.

The very big boys though will spend money and splash it around.

1 hour ago, Ram-a-lama fa fa fa said:

What would be the point in selling him. I want bird, knight and sibley to be our midfield trio for the next 10 years

Oh how I hope that you are Mel Morris! If not, unfortunately finances will probably dictate what happens with all of those three.

2 hours ago, Ram-a-lama fa fa fa said:

What would be the point in selling him. I want bird, knight and sibley to be our midfield trio for the next 10 years

That would undoubtedly be great, but the reality of the situation is if one or all of them are as good as we think they are then they will end up playing elsewhere eventually.

On 13/04/2020 at 17:28, angieram said:

I agree we should keep our youngsters if we can and I happen to think they would want to stay, too - at least for another season or two.

Interesting your comment about Bird's role being under-appreciated. If any set of fans has an appreciation of the importance of that midfield anchor role, it ought to be Derby County fans, given the roller coaster ride we have had trying to fill it since's Thorne's unfortunate injuries! 

Sorry @angieram what I meant is that position is generally under appreciated compared with those that score goals and I mean that in the world of football not Derby and I agree that we know the value to the team of a Bird, huddlestone or Thorne. It’s just that Sibley and Knight are always more likely to go for more money than Bird because of their forward play although Bird has played more games for a very good reason.

2 hours ago, Woodley Ram said:

Sorry @angieram what I meant is that position is generally under appreciated compared with those that score goals and I mean that in the world of football not Derby and I agree that we know the value to the team of a Bird, huddlestone or Thorne. It’s just that Sibley and Knight are always more likely to go for more money than Bird because of their forward play although Bird has played more games for a very good reason.

Thanks for clarifying and I agree.

We are very fortunate to have three such talented young players and I only hope we can get them out there continuing their development very soon.

I thought (probably) like many others that Mel's whole point of setting up, expanding and 'adequately' funding the Academy/ Moor Farm was produce home grown players for 'our' first team. That being the case as soon as 'one' of these players breaks through and begins to show some fulfillment of their promise surely, to sell them straight away would go against everything were trying to achieve long term. 

But what about sustainability, I hear some cry. Yes, that is important but so to is building towards success. 

Will a club and supporters like ours be happy with a mid-table. well run club with little or no ambition for the long term ?

I think not.

Rightly or wrongly we believe we should always strive and be destined for far better than this.  

So in this case 'a Bird in the hand may well be better than (maybe) two in the bush'

We have tremendous talent coming through not just the 3 mentioned and high praise should go to Mel and the coaching and recruiting staff, my only concern is to ensure that this is a conveyor belt of talent and not just a one off of a talented generation .

everything at moor farm is set up for it but recruitment of youngsters is key and not just from the greater Derby area, we have done well with Ireland but needs to looks wider 

Max has sent a message amidst the speculation as reported in this excellent piece by the excellent DET, just came up on my Facebook. They really go the extra mile at the DET - this piece really gives a personal insight into how the lad himself is feeling and not just the usual will he go/will he stay bluster. Excellent piece. I can't understand why the DET doesn't have a pay wall? Would be money well spent in my opinion.

Screenshot_20200416-175147_Facebook.thumb.jpg.742d7653aceac7394f2b0874fa5ea62d.jpg

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/chelsea-transfer-news-max-bird-4045932

If for any bizarre reason you don't want to read through the excellent article, which is excellent, then here's the message from Max in full, the pinnacle of the article, money shot... 

Screenshot_20200416-175302_Facebook.thumb.jpg.df5789373a991d804645adb568ae6ab4.jpg

33 minutes ago, Pastinaak said:

Max has sent a message amidst the speculation as reported in this excellent piece by the excellent DET, just came up on my Facebook. They really go the extra mile at the DET - this piece really gives a personal insight into how the lad himself is feeling and not just the usual will he go/will he stay bluster. Excellent piece. I can't understand why the DET doesn't have a pay wall? Would be money well spent in my opinion.

Screenshot_20200416-175147_Facebook.thumb.jpg.742d7653aceac7394f2b0874fa5ea62d.jpg

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/chelsea-transfer-news-max-bird-4045932

If for any bizarre reason you don't want to read through the excellent article, which is excellent, then here's the message from Max in full, the pinnacle of the article, money shot... 

Screenshot_20200416-175302_Facebook.thumb.jpg.df5789373a991d804645adb568ae6ab4.jpg

Pretty much what he'd be posting every weekend if he joined Chelsea.

Sorry Frank, my old mucker but you can jog on. Loved your time here but the way you handled your exit and the the blind one copped since you left has me thinking that unless you've £15 mill plus add-on's and resale %'s in mind, you can do one.

Max is one of the brightest talents in the league and if Cairney was worth bids of £27 million at 26 years of age, you shouldn't be expecting much change from 20 mill for our Max. Besides, if you try and nick him for Chelski, Wazza will probably stick you on your arse. He loves the lad.

1 hour ago, Pastinaak said:

The links between DET articles and their titles are about as tenuous as the link between 5G and the bloody coronavirus

15 hours ago, Pastinaak said:

I think we can all read between those lines! ?

Archived