Matches suspended

atherstoneram

56 days seems a reasonable estimate, but I’m still not convinced we’ll have that amount of time. If we can’t even start training until mid May, I suspect even behind closed doors we won’t be able to play until July. It’ll take a lot of organising to fit it all In.

• Replies 787
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, maxjam said:

The English Football League season can be completed in 56 days when it is safe to resume amid the coronavirus pandemic, clubs have been told.

But it is assumed that matches will be played behind closed doors.

A letter sent to all 71 EFL clubs by chairman Rick Parry, and obtained by the BBC, said no training should resume until at least 16 May.

The EFL is hopeful the campaign can finish in the summer, but there is no indication when it might begin again.

Leeds would have completed it quicker, closed more doors, and started training sooner... and... erm... their summer would have been warmer too!

48 minutes ago, TramRam said:

A similar expert has said that festivals wont return until autumn 2021 at the earliest also.

There is no way large gatherings will occur in the next few months and I would be absolutely amazed if they happened this side of Christmas, unless a vaccine is made and used.

We better get used to watching football on a laptop because I reckon that will be how we watch footy for the foreseeable. 

2 hours ago, TramRam said:

The report has worried Manchester United legend Gary Neville and joint Salford City owner Gary Neville who believes that while the news will cause havoc amongst the Premier League, the effects will be far more severe further down the footballing pyramid.

Neville told Sky Sports: “That would cause horrific consequences for clubs at all levels.  “Not just in the Premier League but right across the football pyramid".

I want to know which Gary Neville was being quoted there.  Was it Manchester United legend Gary Neville, or Joint Salford City owner Gary Neville? 

Maybe only his dad, Neville Neville, can clear up this whole sorry mess!   

33 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

The report has worried Manchester United legend Gary Neville and joint Salford City owner Gary Neville who believes that while the news will cause havoc amongst the Premier League, the effects will be far more severe further down the footballing pyramid.

Neville told Sky Sports: “That would cause horrific consequences for clubs at all levels.  “Not just in the Premier League but right across the football pyramid".

I want to know which Gary Neville was being quoted there.  Was it Manchester United legend Gary Neville, or Joint Salford City owner Gary Neville? 

Maybe only his dad, Neville Neville, can clear up this whole sorry mess!   

Pretty sure it's the Gary Neville who works for Sky TV, The 2 other Gary Nevilles your asking about I know nothing of, HTHs ?

3 hours ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

A similar expert has said that festivals wont return until autumn 2021 at the earliest also.

There is no way large gatherings will occur in the next few months and I would be absolutely amazed if they happened this side of Christmas, unless a vaccine is made and used.

We better get used to watching football on a laptop because I reckon that will be how we watch footy for the foreseeable. 

Welcome to my world comrade

I wonder that if the antibody test gets going, then people who have passed it could be given some kind of passport, which would enable them to have greater access than the rest of the population. 

Cruel I know, but it would help various businesses to function prior to the vaccine being widely available. 

21 minutes ago, ram59 said:

I wonder that if the antibody test gets going, then people who have passed it could be given some kind of passport, which would enable them to have greater access than the rest of the population. 

Cruel I know, but it would help various businesses to function prior to the vaccine being widely available. 

There seem to be quite a few articles proposing something along these lines. I've attached one. I have no idea how reliable or credible this particular source is, I'm just posting it as an example.

https://www.businessinsider.com/uk-plans-coronavirus-immunity-passports-so-brits-can-leave-lockdown-2020-4?r=US&IR=T

35 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

There seem to be quite a few articles proposing something along these lines. I've attached one. I have no idea how reliable or credible this particular source is, I'm just posting it as an example.

https://www.businessinsider.com/uk-plans-coronavirus-immunity-passports-so-brits-can-leave-lockdown-2020-4?r=US&IR=T

A test is only good for the time it is done.  Test today get infected tomorrow, no point testing anyone not showing symptoms.

1 minute ago, MickD said:

A test is only good for the time it is done.  Test today get infected tomorrow, no point testing anyone not showing symptoms.

Unless the test proves you have had the virus and therefore (hopefully - still unproven but, I understand this seems to be case with similar viruses) you're unlikely to be able to catch it again or pass it on.

There IS a point testing anyone not showing symptoms given some will have had the virus and either have no symptoms or had them so mild they may not have associated them with the virus. If you have the test and it is negative for the antibodies then yes, you could catch it tomorrow.

I think this is the point of the proposed passport system (before anyone jumps on me, I'm not saying I support the idea or think it will work). To identify people that have had the virus (regardless of the severity of any symptoms they may have had) so that they are relatively safe to be allowed out again.

1 minute ago, Tamworthram said:

Unless the test proves you have had the virus and therefore (hopefully - still unproven but, I understand this seems to be case with similar viruses) you're unlikely to be able to catch it again or pass it on.

There IS a point testing anyone not showing symptoms given some will have had the virus and either have no symptoms or had them so mild they may not have associated them with the virus. If you have the test and it is negative for the antibodies then yes, you could catch it tomorrow.

I think this is the point of the proposed passport system (before anyone jumps on me, I'm not saying I support the idea or think it will work). To identify people that have had the virus (regardless of the severity of any symptoms they may have had) so that they are relatively safe to be allowed out again.

Unfortunately some people are getting re-infected .

Troubling headlines have been cropping up across Asia: Patients who were diagnosed with COVID-19 and seemingly recovered have been readmitted to the hospital after testing positive for the virus again. South Korean officials announced 111 such cases as of April 12.

11 hours ago, MickD said:

Unfortunately some people are getting re-infected .

Troubling headlines have been cropping up across Asia: Patients who were diagnosed with COVID-19 and seemingly recovered have been readmitted to the hospital after testing positive for the virus again. South Korean officials announced 111 such cases as of April 12.

The stories are true but last time I checked it wasn’t quite as clear cut as that. Again, I’m not saying I agree but, maybe they’re thinking in terms of risk management that if only a very tiny minority get re-infected or whatever, on balance it’s a risk worth taking to get the economies going again and live sort of back to normal.

I’m no virologist but, doesn’t vaccination work pretty much the same? People are injected with a very low dose of the disease/virus (plus whatever else they add to the potion) so that “they have had it” and built up antibodies. Having the flu job doesn’t mean you you’re guaranteed not to get flu but it very much reduces the chances.

Disclaimer: I may have got all that wrong.

16 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

Can you imagine a line on your CV where "Have had Coronoavirus" is one of your successes in life?

The other thing that worries me with this approach (Not saying its wrong) but a lot of people may want to catch it intentionally to get it out of the way.

Archived