How will Coronavirus affect football?

Carl Sagan

From a purely football point of view, this must be an absolute nightmare of a situation to manage.

No one route that could be taken seems right for various reasons.

• Behind closed doors: costs involved when teams aren't getting much income from these matches, lighting, heating, water, hospitality for the small amount of media that would be allowed in to broadcast, etc for the home team. Travel costs for the away team and it could be risky for them if they have to stay in hotels. Win and goal bonuses that would still need to be paid over and above the normal wages, if any clubs lower down the leagues have any players on a pay as you play at all then they're left in a situation where they probably can't play them because of the extra cost. Still an unnecessary risk for everyone that is in attendance and they always say football is nothing without the supporters. Also as soon as any one person from a team/club gets it then once again it's thrown into chaos.
  • Suspension/postponement of the league: difficult as we don't exactly know how long this will go on for and when things could start up again, what do the players do in the mean time, still train on the proviso that as soon as anyone displays any symptoms they are immediately isolated from everyone and then tested? So they're ready to go as soon as they can? Still a risk but at least everyone there for training is from the club itself and health can be kept an eye on more easily. What happens if this drags on into next season, nine games (for our league) added onto the already hefty schedule? What then happens to teams that go up/down have vastly different budgets/resources and needs and will have to buy/sell players for their situations when they normally have months to plan and execute this?
  • Cancellation: then what do you do?
  1. Effectively start over again next season with the same teams as this one? Seems especially unfair that teams in the Premier League that would've otherwise got relegated would get another huge wad of cash for next season, and ones that would've otherwise got promoted likewise the other way around. Could that potentially be a legal nightmare?
  2. Take things as they are and without any playoffs promote and relegate teams in the positions they are in? Also seems unfair as in some leagues teams will have played an uneven amount of games, then some will have played harder/easier fixtures than others which could skew the table. Then you've got the situation that both us and Sheffield Wednesday are in, where the EFL want to deduct us points and we await the Independent hearings, what happens to this if the season finishes as is? Does it drag into next season, keep us in limbo and potentially affect us in a further season? If the cases do go ahead and the EFL win them and deduct points during this season would that then get reduced pro rata for the amount of games not played as neither of us has had the chance to pick up points from nine games this season so you'd be getting doubly punished?

Players (and staff) still need to be paid in any event.

An unprecedented situation.

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, RandomAccessMemory said:

Take things as they are and without any playoffs promote and relegate teams in the positions they are in?

If that was to be done, then for example Bournemouth would be relegated on goal difference, seems like the amount they'd lose when they'd have a legitimate case that they could have stayed up would be too large. Seems unlikely this approach could happen without huge legal challenges.

1 minute ago, Andicis said:

If that was to be done, then for example Bournemouth would be relegated on goal difference, seems like the amount they'd lose when they'd have a legitimate case that they could have stayed up would be too large. Seems unlikely this approach could happen without huge legal challenges.

Agreed. I honestly don't know what the best course of action would be, seems there are major pitfalls and possible legal ramifications to all of them.

I like the idea of games behind closed doors but streamed to ST holders as long as you can bid to have a microphone linked to one of the giant speakers in the ground.

'ffs Malone pass the bluddy thing' etc

50 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Think the obvious thing to do is cancel/postpone the Euros now giving domestic leagues the opportunity to play on later into and through the summer as required.

I think postponing the Euros should happen regardless of the league situation as it seems far too risky to have a multi-country Euros with all the travel that will include this summer.

I've just thought, if the leagues were postponed and continued through the summer and that dragged past the end of June (bearing in mind the season would normally end at the end of May that's only a month) some players' contract situations are slightly awkward as that's when they end isn't it?!

Does next season start later too?

Or is Pre-season going to be a hell of a lot shorter? Be a real headache for any club with a lot of work to do between seasons if so.

1 minute ago, Millenniumram said:

Its a shame on the Euros, but I guess we have to catch up on postponed fixtures. Part of me thinks though that we may be better off playing the Euros in the Autumn and starting the new season next January, so we’re in sync for the World Cup in 2022. 

When does that cycle end, though?

39 minutes ago, RandomAccessMemory said:

I think postponing the Euros should happen regardless of the league situation as it seems far too risky to have a multi-country Euros with all the travel that will include this summer.

I've just thought, if the leagues were postponed and continued through the summer and that dragged past the end of June (bearing in mind the season would normally end at the end of May that's only a month) some players' contract situations are slightly awkward as that's when they end isn't it?!

I wouldn't be surprised if the transfer window is extended in relation to when the new season starts. Clubs will have the option to extend existing contracts (by just a month if required). Any new signings won't be eligible to play until the following season.

Pretty much all sports in North America have been suspended and those that haven't (golf) are going to have no spectators from tomorrow.

I am shocked that UK is still allowing games to go ahead and allowing spectators to attend, I can't see how that is consistent with the "flatten the curve" delay strategy.

Archived