v Northampton FAC4R replay - Matchday Thread

OohMartWright

Thought Lawrence played well and seems to be coming into a bit of form, some of Rooneys play was awesome and his passing sublime. He and Holmes are the key to our play, Holmes rightly got a standing ovation when he went off. Martin played well. The 2 youngsters sibley and knight showed their talent when they come on.

should have won by more but encouraging signs especially for the future when you add Bird etc to the 2 subs 

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I watched the first game on a Spanish hotel telly with sound off.  I kept losing concentration, but from what I did see, at the very least, Northampton matched us for every stride, and every kick... and I may be being kind to Derby there!
I had absolutely no intention of going to tonight's game.  But after Friday's tonic, I decided to give them my backing, and purchased my ST seat yesterday.  Come 18:30 this evening, after a busy day at work, and feeling the bitter cold wind all morning, I really didn't fancy it.  If it had been a ST game, I doubt I would have ventured out, but seeing as I forked out my £15 yesterday, I had to force myself to go.

I AM GLAD I DID!

OK, we weren't perfect.  Yes, we were sloppy at times, in front of both goals.  But the difference in both quality and league positions was clearly evident tonight.  It was an enjoyable game, with a bit of a weird atmosphere.  6 goals. A thoroughly deserved win.  A decent enough performance with certainly more positives than negatives... and all for £15!

I made the right decision.

COYRs

1 hour ago, IslandExile said:

Not been reading this thread so apologies if Radio Derby's coverage has been mentioned already.

Living in exile, I don't get to listen to Radio Derby these days but with BBC allowing streaming for cup matches and no commentary from @SaintRam I've had no choice.

My word, the Dawes/Ramage combo is poor, their whinging and negativity are shocking - they make certain individuals on here appear more happy go lucky and positive than the great Desmond Tutu.

And if they are influencers at all on the listening public, their treatment of Roos will only lead to more booing and sarcastic applause.

And the contradictions...... Pick the same team that played Stoke one minute then the next.... By picking Martin who missed those chances, it will damage his confidence.

Chris in the studio had to tell them it was Marriott's goal - they didn't even realise it was a goal - and about a substitution they had missed, along with facts about past games.

Come back @SaintRam with your balanced and considered commentary.

I’ve given up listening on RD now.  Can’t stand listening to the whining and winging.  I wait for the goal alerts which means I do actually get to know what’s happening.  Last game I listened to was Boro away and within 30 secs the missus was making her displeasure known - well I assume it about the commentators!!

1 hour ago, Edtheram said:

My only gripe tonight is that Curtis Davies should be nowhere near our match day squad - Davies gives away a penalty after Sibley have the ball away 

My gripe with the penalty was that Laurence ( I’m not a hater btw!) lost the ball and made absolutely no attempt at winning if back, this led directly to the cross and the penalty. Pure complacency and then a goal.

Not a bad game from him overall but these little things like the tackle he jumped over when on the break near the end sticks in crowds minds and doesn’t do him any favours fan base wise. ?‍♂️

Rooney, Martin and Holmes stood out tonight in my opinion. Rooney's passing and composure is just above anything at this level. Some weird messing about at the back- Roos, Davies, Clarke. Looked shaky at times although Roos made a good save and Clarke deflected a certain goal. Why are we passing it around when the other team presses? It's bizarre. Fine if there is no pressure but we want to play it around our penalty area and get caught out. 

Good win and some fine goals. Thought we had some excellent attacking play and was a good cup tie overall. 

Glad I went, should have scored more, and not been so sloppy at times, but thought Rooney was a joy to watch his vision is top draw, so glad he came to Derby to show case his skills and his desire, attitude and will to win is a great example to all of the team, also thought Holmes was again very good and took his goal well, so plenty of positives to look forward to, now let's go to Swansea and get our 2nd away win in the Championship, play on the front foot and I think it will happen 

Reading through the thread, there is a lot of criticism of Ramage and Dawes.  I was suprised actually about how many posters were not at the game.  Don’t get me wrong, i work shifts and have to use holidays to go to some midweek games so I know it’s not always ideal or possible.

However if the commentary was brilliant ( and all these so called streams) it wouldn’t  be at all necessary to go to a match.  Maybe Ramage and Dawes are a Mel Morris deterant ?  Suprised EFL haven’t looked into this!!

49 minutes ago, Squid said:

just got home, great game to say its my first in a while i’ve been able to go to!

Said to me self a couple of times, we are far better with wisdom and clarke in cb.

Te Wierik will fit in nicely for when Clarkey leaves..

Also more criticism towards Ted bundy and Craig Rampage today? what they done now?

te Wierik is a right sided centre back and Clarke plays on the left side so I’d of thought he was more of a replacement to fill the Keogh shaped hole in the defence and to provide competition to Wisdom if Cocu is looking at playing him there permanently next season.

Unless Clarke arrives on another season-long loan deal next season, I fully expect Cocu to be in the market for another CB to partner te Wierik on the left hand side of defence.

21 minutes ago, Ruda Harliss said:

Reading through the thread, there is a lot of criticism of Ramage and Dawes.  I was suprised actually about how many posters were not at the game.  Don’t get me wrong, i work shifts and have to use holidays to go to some midweek games so I know it’s not always ideal or possible.

However if the commentary was brilliant ( and all these so called streams) it wouldn’t  be at all necessary to go to a match.  Maybe Ramage and Dawes are a Mel Morris deterant ?  Suprised EFL haven’t looked into this!!

tom cruise what GIF

Enjoyed the game tonight but did miss my regular seat in the East stand which I guess I will have to give up again for the United match! 

Good performance from most, thought Davies was a bit edgy and not sure what’s happened to Knight but he has caught the dcfc negative backward passing bug.

Marriott needs to be taking his chances but got his goal and hopefully give him a boost.

Thought Lawrence was excellent, never gave the defenders a minutes peace and some of his runs were great but never got spotted.

Oh and that Rooney lad can pass a ball, the through ball to JM in the first half was stunning.

Been treated to 8 goals in 5 days, let’s keep it going at Swansea & Bristol now ?

Well I can't vouch for the commentary as I was at the match, but I thought there were a lot of positives in the game. 

Marriott got his goal, but like in previous games he seems too eager to please and is snatching at everything. He just needs to relax a bit and it will start flowing. 

Thought Roos did well enough. Couldn't do anything about the goals, and spread the play well when we were passing it from the back (one very dodgy pass aside). He was much better catching the ball as well, they've clearly been working on that. 

I thought for large parts of the game we played it around them like it was a training match. We passed it around them so easily I was quite impressed I have to say. Martin performed his usual link-up masterclass, while Rooney dictated play from deep and Holmes buzzed about as normal. 

Thought Davies showed why he's been superceded by Wisdom at CB. He gave it his all, and performed well in the air, but he just isn't comfortable with the ball at his feet. Not his fault, it's late in his career to change that.

Special mention to Tom Lawrence and Scott Malone, two players I've had a go at in the past, but I thought they both did well tonight. 

I'm aware it's against a League Two team, but I was glad to see the patterns to our play continue to emerge and at the fight they showed when Northampton got their first goal back - many a Derby team would have folded at that point, but we raised our game again and put it beyond them.

3 hours ago, reverendo de duivel said:

Bird and Bogle young players, managing loads while still maturing physically is an important part of their development.

Waghorn pretty much ever present, need to keep him as fresh as possible with so many games coming up in a short space of time.

Fozzy still feeling his way back after a 3rd serious injury in recent times, returned to near his best last time out back in his natural position, absolutely the right decision to sit him out, I'd expect he'll start Saturday.

Wisdom another game towards full fitness after a slow start to his season, will surely move back into the centre alongside Clarke, with Bogle coming back in.

Malone and Davies probably know they are back up at the moment, Marriott had another chance to make an impression and scored, so possibly the only one who gives Cocu a nice headache come Saturday.

Shinnie can fight against Bird for the spot alongside Rooney, nice to have options in good form.

Rev, I'm just of the opinion that when you know your best team, you should let it blossom. Especially if you have spent two thirds of the season to trying to find it!

I understand rotation and squad management is important and normally I wouldn't bat an eyelid over playing a changed side in the cup competitions. I was completely unmoved by the changes made in previous cup games this season.

But I would argue that building momentum, cohesion, confidence, understanding and consistency amongst the players is just as important and something we have lacked this season, be it through injuries, poor form, or indeed at times Cocu's selection policy.

Tonight would have been an ideal opportunity to start establishing that consistency, following up on such a resounding performance as it was vs Stoke. When you are winning and playing well, you just want to play and feed that fire.

Young players like Bird and Bogle would surely respond well to playing game after game and taking on that trust and responsibility, in the same way that Tomori, Wilson and Mount did the previous year. And I'm sure even for an experienced player like Waghorn, he would rather be playing from the start too and ready to fill his boots. There is only really a case for Forsyth and Martin to be handled with care.

Personally, I thought it was a valid point to make. I'm not sure how it's been construed by some as having another pop at Cocu. Everyone was very happy with they saw on Friday. They want more of the same. Is it unreasonable to think that playing a consistent eleven would help to achieve that?

Archived