v Northampton FAC4R replay - Matchday Thread

OohMartWright

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

OK, I appreciate that we have a heavy schedule and that you can’t play the same eleven in every game. Rotation and squad management is a must at our level.

But I think for a manager who has struggled to find his best eleven all season, surely you stick with the same team that produced the best performance of the season and try to build upon that. We won’t be resting anyone when Man Utd come to town, for instance. Why is it different tonight on the back of our best display of the season?

Now granted if Bird, Waghorn, Forsyth and Bogle are injured or struggling for fitness, then of course, Cocu was entirely correct to rest them.

But now we’ve won, what does he do? Do Malone, Shinnie, Marriott and Davies keep their places? Does that not complicate things for Cocu?

The result was never in doubt, but people may question the selection if we go back to the Stoke XI on Saturday and they don’t look sharp.

If he'd kept the same starting eleven that played last Friday and we won, then did the same after that etc etc etc, when does he change it and rest players - when fatigue sets in and we lose because of it? Let the manager and his staff decide - Cocu's experienced enough to be aware of the demands on modern day players.

2 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Now granted if Bird, Waghorn, Forsyth and Bogle are injured or struggling for fitness, then of course, Cocu was entirely correct to rest them.

Bird and Bogle young players, managing loads while still maturing physically is an important part of their development.

Waghorn pretty much ever present, need to keep him as fresh as possible with so many games coming up in a short space of time.

Fozzy still feeling his way back after a 3rd serious injury in recent times, returned to near his best last time out back in his natural position, absolutely the right decision to sit him out, I'd expect he'll start Saturday.

Wisdom another game towards full fitness after a slow start to his season, will surely move back into the centre alongside Clarke, with Bogle coming back in.

Malone and Davies probably know they are back up at the moment, Marriott had another chance to make an impression and scored, so possibly the only one who gives Cocu a nice headache come Saturday.

Shinnie can fight against Bird for the spot alongside Rooney, nice to have options in good form.

15 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

Not been reading this thread so apologies if Radio Derby's coverage has been mentioned already.

Living in exile, I don't get to listen to Radio Derby these days but with BBC allowing streaming for cup matches and no commentary from @SaintRam I've had no choice.

Just curious how you listened. I thought they said it would be available (and it was for the first match) but tonight I got the annoying BBC "sport not available" repeating message through my speakers, BBC Sounds and TuneIn. But I'm in the UK - maybe it's different overseas (I'm guessing you're there) or was it something else?

That said it sounds as if I had a lucky escape!

Job done. Enjoyed it.  Had to sit in the West stand for a change.  Wouldn’t want to do it every week (was sat far too close to Dawes and Ramage for their own good).  

Unless the Man Utd match is on the Friday then I’m gong to miss it because of  work.  Annoying to miss a home banker like that.  Oh well.

2 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Just curious how you listened. I thought they said it would be available (and it was for the first match) but tonight I got the annoying BBC "sport not available" repeating message through my speakers, BBC Sounds and TuneIn. But I'm in the UK - maybe it's different overseas (I'm guessing you're there) or was it something else?

Worked ok for me on Sounds app in the UK.

1 minute ago, LazloW said:

Job done. Enjoyed it.  Had to sit in the West stand for a change.  Wouldn’t want to do it every week (was sat far too close to Dawes and Ramage for their own good).  

Unless the Man Utd match is on the Friday then I’m gong to miss it because of  work.  Annoying to miss a home banker like that.  Oh well.

Next round are all midweek fixtures

4 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

It was here...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/football/51284877

mission accomplished. A handful of decentish performances - Rooney shone again.

Malone, Roos and Davies looked like they's slot in the Northampton side - or at least get a place in their squad. They aren't good enough for ours.

Marriott doesn't look sharp enough. He need a run of games. Martin similar. That said our 'Stoke' side looks our best 11 right now.

Archived