v Northampton FAC4R replay - Matchday Thread

OohMartWright

On a lighter note, another encouraging win!

As much as I think the semi finals should be held at Old Trafford and Villa Park, it's also amazing to think we are just two games from another Wembley appearance. It would be a bonkers end to a bonkers season.

United at home will be a fantastic occasion and an excellent measure of how the team has progressed over recent weeks. I just hope we don't pay them too much respect and that we give a good account of ourselves. I think we have a really good chance of causing an upset if we play with the same fire, intensity and positivity we have displayed in the last 4-5 weeks.

Our home form is strong and anything can happen in a one-off game, after all.

The main thing is just for us to leave it all out there on the pitch and for everyone to be able to walk away with their heads held high. You can't ask for much more than that.

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Ruda Harliss said:

Why will you have to give up your usual seat? It can’t be a season ticket seat if you’re usually in it ?

They extend the away allocation that eats in to our East Stand (For cup games)  Those (ST Holders) in that end of the East stand know that their ST seats are not guaranteed for a cup game, but are given priority to purchase a ticket elsewhere in the stadium.

3 hours ago, Jourdan said:

On a lighter note, another encouraging win!

As much as I think the semi finals should be held at Old Trafford and Villa Park, it's also amazing to think we are just two games from another Wembley appearance. It would be a bonkers end to a bonkers season.

United at home will be a fantastic occasion and an excellent measure of how the team has progressed over recent weeks. I just hope we don't pay them too much respect and that we give a good account of ourselves. I think we have a really good chance of causing an upset if we play with the same fire, intensity and positivity we have displayed in the last 4-5 weeks.

Our home form is strong and anything can happen in a one-off game, after all.

The main thing is just for us to leave it all out there on the pitch and for everyone to be able to walk away with their heads held high. You can't ask for much more than that.

I get your point re neutral grounds, but Villa Park would now surely be replaced by newer stadiums like Tottenham’s? 

5 hours ago, Ruda Harliss said:

Why will you have to give up your usual seat? It can’t be a season ticket seat if you’re usually in it ?

Because just like tonight the Man Utd fans will be given 15% of the ground and as my ST is east upper next to the away fans I will be told to sit elsewhere.... tonight me seat had a Northampton fan in it so I had to relocate to the west stand.

Good game, good goals. Holmes and martin developing a telepathic understand, the 1-2s were lighting quick. Lawrence has his 3rd good game in a row, not losing the ball anywhere near as much, even if sometimes opting for a “safer” pass. Rooney cut above, wisdom solid.

Side note, would anybody make a bid for the Northampton captain Charlie Goode In the summer? MOM in the first game, good leader, decent footballer could see him just before the second half geeing up his team mates, seconds later he absolutely smashed Marriott with a brilliant tackle which set the tone and they scored a minute later. He’s 24 so a good age and playing league 2 so unlikely to break the bank. 

I couldn't make it to the game so only watched the highlights (so a big caveat over this entire post!) but my word, Rooney is class. That pass from deep to Marriott was top drawer. Shame Martin got caught out by the defender on his heels.

Davies... gave the ball away so, so badly from his own box. He's a lovely bloke but if he wasn't so popular in that way he'd be absolutely slated for his passing. It's dreadful. He got played for the penalty too - the guy bent over to make it look like a foul (fair enough) but Davies should know better than that. As much as I like the guy, he's not the answer - not just based on this game but based on this season - a good stopped but not right for our system at all. I know my comments about this particular game are based on highlights so we get the best and worst but it just stands out for me that he's a weak link.

Not sure why Clarke gave their winger so much space for their first goal - very odd decision as he was too far away to cut off the pass - really weird positioning.

But a good result and going forward we looked excellent.

Roos - decent goalkeeping but why does he have to play so much around his box when the numbers are against it 

wisdom - at last a goal 

Davies - struggled at times 

Clarke - decent enough 

Malone - good run out for him

Rooney - looks to have so much time but you get that with quality

shinnie - decent run out for him

Holmes -  he is so much better when he is further forward and away from our back line - the Rooney effect 

Lawrence - again looks a better team player when Martin starts 

Martin - should have Dispatched his chance but yet again an assist for Marriott and with his dummy an assist in all reality for Holmes 

Marriott - never looked likely but got a goal and we may have had more if he looked around a bit but his time will come

subs - n/a  

1 hour ago, QuitYourJibbaJivin said:

Side note, would anybody make a bid for the Northampton captain Charlie Goode In the summer? MOM in the first game, good leader, decent footballer could see him just before the second half geeing up his team mates, seconds later he absolutely smashed Marriott with a brilliant tackle which set the tone and they scored a minute later. He’s 24 so a good age and playing league 2 so unlikely to break the bank. 

Played well at Northampton but looked a clumsy mule last night. Also had a terrible habit of crashing to the floor if Marriott touched him. Looked as fragile as a self-assembly wardrobe.

Just now, RamNut said:

Played well at Northampton but looked a clumsy mule last night. Also had a terrible habit of crashing to the floor if Marriott touched him. Looked as fragile as a self-assembly wardrobe.

I know he did it twice second half but it got them free kicks in dangerous areas, which is exactly what we used to laud the real wardrobe for. They did it throughout the whole first game and the ref gave a foul every time, the ref was as accommodating last night though. 

1 hour ago, Raich Van Carter said:

Not sure why Clarke gave their winger so much space for their first goal - very odd decision as he was too far away to cut off the pass - really weird positioning.

Is what I thought, except I would be less polite, it was terrible defending!

I’ve been reading these posts about playing out from the back .. this is a perfectly reasonable tactic and style of play that can pay dividends in stretching / wrong footing an opponent ... However, students of the game should be aware this tactical gambit gets misunderstood in certain quarters. 

“Playing out from the back” - see - tactics, chapter 4 section 1 

This is entirely different from 

“Playing about at the back” - see - self harm in football, chapter 1 section 1

9 hours ago, Ruda Harliss said:

? Tongue in cheek. 
I just read loads of posts about sh1t3 commentary. 
If I can go the match I do. If I can’t, I’m glad I can get commentary even if it’s not very good.  

Thankfully, we were able to listen to a pair of decent commentators last night. Unfortunately, we won’t be able to listen to them again for a long time as they were Northampton’s commentators. 

Good result, nice to see them respond well to it becoming 2-1 - earlier in the season I've no doubt they would have crumbled. 

Aside from the result, good to see Wisdom get a goal and also to see Shinnie back out there hopefully he stays fit and gets a good run of games I really do think he will be a key part of this team, even more so with Bielik now out. 

Plenty of positives for Saturday.

Archived