v Northampton FAC4R replay - Matchday Thread

OohMartWright

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, CaptainOakley said:

Good result, nice to see them respond well to it becoming 2-1 - earlier in the season I've no doubt they would have crumbled. 

Aside from the result, good to see Wisdom get a goal and also to see Shinnie back out there hopefully he stays fit and gets a good run of games I really do think he will be a key part of this team, even more so with Bielik now out. 

Plenty of positives for Saturday.

I agree, but think Shinnie will have a job on to displace Max Bird who of the recent youngsters seems to be coming to the fore

in the last 18 months we have seen Lowe come back from Aberdeen with some polish, Bogle cementing a place, Knight easily make the step up. Sibley knocking on the door and being recognised. Bird for me is the surprise package. Looked so young and slight but I just feel he’s part of the bigger plan now

15 minutes ago, jono said:

I agree, but think Shinnie will have a job on to displace Max Bird who of the recent youngsters seems to be coming to the fore

in the last 18 months we have seen Lowe come back from Aberdeen with some polish, Bogle cementing a place, Knight easily make the step up. Sibley knocking on the door and being recognised. Bird for me is the surprise package. Looked so young and slight but I just feel he’s part of the bigger plan now

I could see us going Shinnie more for away matches and Bird at home. Shinnie clearly needs to get match fit but I think his grittier style might help.

1 hour ago, SaintRam said:

(Watchable) Highlights are up!

Sounds like Malone had a decent game, but I'm so fed up of our full backs (Malone in particular) almost willing the opposition wingers/full backs to cross it. When we're on the attack usually we're made to work for the opportunity to cross, either through a piece of skill from Bogle/Lawrence or a good overlapping run. Against us, just like for Northampton's 2nd goal, they have time to pause, look up to see who and where their teammates are in the box, set themselves and then cross. 

97ac2ccae1272e29eae83336bf3c15a7.gif

I just don't get what the point of that is, but we seem to see it week in week out. He's not marking anyone and not pressuring the crosser ..... what is he actually doing? Even their 1st yesterday came from a low cross after Clarke stood off him and applied no pressure. 

58 minutes ago, jono said:

One of the most pleasing things about this season has been seeing the youngsters grow into first team football

Max Bird - I wouldn’t have expected him to progress based on last season’s performances but he has 

Max Lowe - similar as he was all at sea in the first team last season yet being at Aberdeen has done him the world of good 

Jason Knight - progressed from sitting on the bench at the end of the season to possibly being the young player of the season 

which leads me to 

mason Bennett - he could still become very good for Derby county if we persevere with him

59 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

One of the most pleasing things about this season has been seeing the youngsters grow into first team football

Max Bird - I wouldn’t have expected him to progress based on last season’s performances but he has 

Max Lowe - similar as he was all at sea in the first team last season yet being at Aberdeen has done him the world of good 

Jason Knight - progressed from sitting on the bench at the end of the season to possibly being the young player of the season 

which leads me to 

mason Bennett - he could still become very good for Derby county if we persevere with him

Mason Bennett looks about 57 at this point. Not sure he’s fooling anyone he’s a young player anymore. 

4 minutes ago, Cobb said:

Well time to sign off, thanks for the experience last night, good day out all round. Enjoyed the game and the result was too be expected and fair.

So good luck to "Wayne Rooneys Derby "  against Man Utd. 

Good luck to the Cobblers for the rest of this season ???

9 hours ago, Grumpy Git said:

The worst aspect of last night was how easy it was for their left winger to waltz uncontested into our box to set-up their first.

Watching it back, Clarke glances back behind him and sees just one Northampton player in the box, marked.  This obviously made him think we weren’t in much danger, and didn’t make much of an effort to close player down quickly. Displayed a slight  lack of awareness as the goalscorer was breaking himself to get in the box, outrunning Sir Wayne. This is all in hindsight of course as I still consider it a good goal as opposed to a bad mistake.

15 hours ago, Sparkle said:

I’m his biggest fan, but he irritated me with a couple of long distance back passes. I’m happy for him to sit on the bench if he’s going to start doing that. 

9 hours ago, Ruda Harliss said:

Watching it back, Clarke glances back behind him and sees just one Northampton player in the box, marked.  This obviously made him think we weren’t in much danger, and didn’t make much of an effort to close player down quickly. Displayed a slight  lack of awareness as the goalscorer was breaking himself to get in the box, outrunning Sir Wayne. This is all in hindsight of course as I still consider it a good goal as opposed to a bad mistake.

I’ll need to look again, I saw that glance back  .. my impression was that he didn’t think the centre was secure/covered so didn’t want to commit himself to going for the man with the ball - It seemed like he was in two minds ? ... back in a mo ?

2 minutes ago, jono said:

I’ll need to look again, I saw that glance back  .. my impression was that he didn’t think the centre was secure/covered so didn’t want to commit himself to going for the man with the ball - It seemed like he was in two minds ? ... back in a mo ?

You’re right @Ruda Harliss .. there was cover in the middle .. he hesitated, should have closed him down, but credit to their scorer for determination and timing. 

mind you I really like Matt. Usually has great composure, more so considering his youth and the position he is playing. 

So quite late in the day but here's my two penneth worth on the match.

Back in the West Stand lower for this one immediately in front of the Northampton analytics team.  Was quite excited when we first arrived as the lady in the purple coat sitting next to my daughter fitted my mental image of what @angieram would look like but as it would be downright weird to ask a random women if she was called Angie I thought better of it ?

So I'll start with some apologies.  First off to the aforementioned NTFC analytics team who I think I managed to annoy by explaining to my wife several times why Northampton were limited, lacking in quality and their playing style.  I also need to apologise for the first NTFC goal, I gave in to pester power from the boy for sweeties and got stuck in queue and missed the first two minutes of the second half.  That goal obviously wouldn't have happened if I'd been more punctilious.

As for the game itself, I thought it was thoroughly enjoyable.  There were some great passages of interplay from Derby that were peak Mac 1, with Rooney absolutely running the show, Holmes at times unplayable and Martin knitting stuff together further up the pitch.  No one had a bad game.

As for playing out from the back.  At one point in the first half an educated soul (sitting not too far away from the esteemed Ramage and Dawes) yelled 'Forward!'.  I turned to my wife and said, 'Some people don't understand do they?  Every time we have managed to beat the press playing out from the back we have created a chance, and their back line is terrified of us running at them with the ball on the floor.'  It was blatantly obvious.

Reading on here that the Radio Derby commentary team were also doing the equivalent to yelling 'Forward!' is really disappointing.  Yes the tactic didn't work every time and sometimes the press resulted in the ball going back to Roos to go long, but if it's creating 4, 5 or 6 opportunities in that first half hour why can't they try and explain the game in context?  I only get to hear them on the drive in and drive home and tbf Ramage was still going on about how Derby fans won't accept a possession based game at 22:10hrs.  He does not speak for me.

As for Roos?  I feel sorry for him purely on what I've read about the RD commentary.  Bar one mistake he had a good game.  He commanded his area coming for the high ball on several occasions (and claiming it above his head), he's still a brilliant shot stopper and his distribution is fairly similar to Hamer's.  But because of the commentary, the next time he plays (and he'll have to against Huddersfield) people will have doubts and be on his back.  It's infuriating.

Anyway final thought to the Northampton fans.  Thought they were amongst the best we've had this season and didn't begrudge them their penalty in the grand scheme of things.

UTR

17 minutes ago, Will Hughes Hair said:

As for Roos?  I feel sorry for him purely on what I've read about the RD commentary.  Bar one mistake he had a good game.  He commanded his area coming for the high ball on several occasions (and claiming it above his head), he's still a brilliant shot stopper and his distribution is fairly similar to Hamer's.  But because of the commentary, the next time he plays (and he'll have to against Huddersfield) people will have doubts and be on his back.  It's infuriating.

I think Roos was actually really good on Tues, where I was sat about 10 minutes in the blokes around me were already on his back shouting calling him poo etc because he passed to rooney who had a man behind him.

2 hours ago, Will Hughes Hair said:

So quite late in the day but here's my two penneth worth on the match.

Back in the West Stand lower for this one immediately in front of the Northampton analytics team.  Was quite excited when we first arrived as the lady in the purple coat sitting next to my daughter fitted my mental image of what @angieram would look like but as it would be downright weird to ask a random women if she was called Angie I thought better of it ?

So I'll start with some apologies.  First off to the aforementioned NTFC analytics team who I think I managed to annoy by explaining to my wife several times why Northampton were limited, lacking in quality and their playing style.  I also need to apologise for the first NTFC goal, I gave in to pester power from the boy for sweeties and got stuck in queue and missed the first two minutes of the second half.  That goal obviously wouldn't have happened if I'd been more punctilious.

As for the game itself, I thought it was thoroughly enjoyable.  There were some great passages of interplay from Derby that were peak Mac 1, with Rooney absolutely running the show, Holmes at times unplayable and Martin knitting stuff together further up the pitch.  No one had a bad game.

As for playing out from the back.  At one point in the first half an educated soul (sitting not too far away from the esteemed Ramage and Dawes) yelled 'Forward!'.  I turned to my wife and said, 'Some people don't understand do they?  Every time we have managed to beat the press playing out from the back we have created a chance, and their back line is terrified of us running at them with the ball on the floor.'  It was blatantly obvious.

Reading on here that the Radio Derby commentary team were also doing the equivalent to yelling 'Forward!' is really disappointing.  Yes the tactic didn't work every time and sometimes the press resulted in the ball going back to Roos to go long, but if it's creating 4, 5 or 6 opportunities in that first half hour why can't they try and explain the game in context?  I only get to hear them on the drive in and drive home and tbf Ramage was still going on about how Derby fans won't accept a possession based game at 22:10hrs.  He does not speak for me.

Anyway final thought to the Northampton fans.  Thought they were amongst the best we've had this season and didn't begrudge them their penalty in the grand scheme of things.

UTR

Totally agree with you analysis of the match. A really enjoyable game.

Alas, it wasn't me, I was in West Stand Upper (next to the posh seats but not in one!)

Archived