Yet another Chris Martin thread.... Yes really

IslandExile

Chris Martin  

206 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

12 minutes ago, Ramarena said:

Possible, although there’s a lot of moving parts for him and he may miss out in general!

Hes clearly been left on the shelf as if he was in demand he’d have a contract by now.

He may get offered a contract by a decent champ team after they have exhausted their other options and he becomes an option.

He may never get a decent contract from a decent Champ team after waiting it out.

He may decide to come back to us but we’ve found the players we want and the offer/budget for him no longer exists.

When he left I thought it was a risky move given the state of football at present and nothing has changed my mind since.

Not sure where he will end up.......but I’m betting it won’t be what he was hoping for!

Because of the market he could end up in any of the three divisions.

A prem side may see him as a gamble but a decent sub option on relatively ok wages.

A champ side who can offer him a better package than Derby can currently

League 1 with ambitions of promotion on a decent contract.

Thing is I can’t see him saying no to Derby without a better option in the pipeline 

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Ramarena said:

Possible, although there’s a lot of moving parts for him and he may miss out in general!

Hes clearly been left on the shelf as if he was in demand he’d have a contract by now.

He may get offered a contract by a decent champ team after they have exhausted their other options and he becomes an option.

He may never get a decent contract from a decent Champ team after waiting it out.

He may decide to come back to us but we’ve found the players we want and the offer/budget for him no longer exists.

When he left I thought it was a risky move given the state of football at present and nothing has changed my mind since.

Not sure where he will end up.......but I’m betting it won’t be what he was hoping for!

I don't blame Martin for going out and seeing his 'market value' and I don't doubt we offered a significant wage reduction to stick around. I just don't see many clubs offering anything close to what he was getting, I mean he's done poorly in his last two loan spells. I think it just makes sense that we offer him a  fair deal to stick around and he will take it. 

11 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

I don't blame Martin for going out and seeing his 'market value' and I don't doubt we offered a significant wage reduction to stick around. I just don't see many clubs offering anything close to what he was getting, I mean he's done poorly in his last two loan spells. I think it just makes sense that we offer him a  fair deal to stick around and he will take it. 

Agreed, I was happy for him to stay. 

We don’t know the figures but obviously we are only willing to offer him x amount of our budget.

Not sure if it’s fair or not, but it’s what we are offering in what is now most definitely a buyers market as far as out of contract players go.

1 hour ago, TuffLuff said:

A prem side may see him as a gamble but a decent sub option on relatively ok wages.

Thing is I can’t see him saying no to Derby without a better option in the pipeline 

Can’t see him getting a Prem deal. 

Champ he’s certainly good enough for but there’s huge completion for squad places and dwindling budgets at most clubs. I don’t think he’s going to get many better offers from our rivals unless our offer was crazy low.

I doubt anyone in league one could afford to better our offer given the state of finances!

Depends what’s important to him in suppose, we all assume it’s money but maybe it’s something else?

7 minutes ago, Ramarena said:

Can’t see him getting a Prem deal. 

Champ he’s certainly good enough for but there’s huge completion for squad places and dwindling budgets at most clubs. I don’t think he’s going to get many better offers from our rivals unless our offer was crazy low.

I doubt anyone in league one could afford to better our offer given the state of finances!

Depends what’s important to him in suppose, we all assume it’s money but maybe it’s something else?

Well yeah, I’m not sure many champ clubs or league 1 clubs are going to afford him or would have enough to entice him away.

That’s why it’s logical that there may be a prem club being interested. I’m not saying he’d go and be a week in/week out, but all things considered he could probably pick up a decent wage at a lower end club and play a minimal bit part and be pretty happy with it. It’s not likely and I’m not being daft and saying he’s defo premiership level, but it’s not too big a stretch to think that it’s the option he wanted to persue. His stats are decent and because of age/health he’d be pretty happy to be in the background, so it’s a reasonable gamble.

15 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

Well yeah, I’m not sure many champ clubs or league 1 clubs are going to afford him or would have enough to entice him away.

That’s why it’s logical that there may be a prem club being interested. I’m not saying he’d go and be a week in/week out, but all things considered he could probably pick up a decent wage at a lower end club and play a minimal bit part and be pretty happy with it. It’s not likely and I’m not being daft and saying he’s defo premiership level, but it’s not too big a stretch to think that it’s the option he wanted to persue. His stats are decent and because of age/health he’d be pretty happy to be in the background, so it’s a reasonable gamble.

It’s possible but IMO it’s highly unlikely.

5 hours ago, TuffLuff said:

Sorry. This is just a wild guess.

34 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

How do we know what he was offered and if it was fair?

(as per Bennett's 'apology',it's an unknown)

True, I’ll give you that one.

Cocu made his feelings known, giving the club the benefit of the doubt they have made a fair offer knowing how Mel backs his manager 100% until the day they leave.

11 minutes ago, Steve How Hard? said:

Yep, why Rowett never played them up front together is a travesty. 

I think they’d have taken up each other’s spaces to be honest

Martin’s more of a Sherringham/Goddard type than an out and out #9. He drops into the pockets and looks to play. He just has the physicality to compete for goal kicks. 

Vydra would start in the pockets, get the ball, turn and run.

That being said, Martin’s intelligent and Vydra was more of a striker at Watford 

Archived