Yet another Chris Martin thread.... Yes really

IslandExile

Chris Martin  

206 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Sith Happens

hopefully he will end up at a higher level than mk dons,  but if he does we have no idea what the deal we offered was, its feasible the mk dons one could match or better it, especially In length. 

we could have offered 1 year at 5k a week for all we know 

there may also be an element of him being fed up of being farmed out on loan as often as he was.

good luck to him anyway,  we are poorer for not having retained him imo.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sith Happens
1 hour ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

We need to move on. 

nah we will be discussing him for a good while,  lets face it we still talk about if nigel was a good manager for Derby or not so let us talk about chrissy for a bit yet

Sith Happens
1 minute ago, Gaspode said:

If he turned down a deal with us, I really can't see him dropping to League 1 - they now have the salary cap in place, so I doubt any offer would get even close to our deal....

how will that work anyway? do they have several seasons to meet it?

Its feasible clubs like Sunderland are exceedingly the cap significantly. you cant surely expect clubs to drop salaries over night

23 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

If he turned down a deal with us, I really can't see him dropping to League 1 - they now have the salary cap in place, so I doubt any offer would get even close to our deal....

Unless it wasn't all about money. Maybe we said he'd only be a squad player if he stayed with us, and instead he wanted regular first team football.

You know, like what various posters have criticised Anya and Joe Hart for not doing. 

32 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

how will that work anyway? do they have several seasons to meet it?

Its feasible clubs like Sunderland are exceedingly the cap significantly. you cant surely expect clubs to drop salaries over night

I'm pretty sure (without looking up the details) that the announcement was that it would apply from the date of the meeting a couple of weeks back - so any new contracts would need to fit within the cap though there must be some flexibility for exisiting contracts - as you say, a lot of teams will already be paying wages way above the cap. It's likely to cause all sorts of issues....even between 'new' and 'old' players at a club. Seems to be yet aanother poorly thought through policy that simply penalises the bigger clubs in the name of 'fair play' and equality....

Sith Happens
1 minute ago, Gaspode said:

I'm pretty sure (without looking up the details) that the announcement was that it would apply from the date of the meeting a couple of weeks back - so any new contracts would need to fit within the cap though there must be some flexibility for exisiting contracts - as you say, a lot of teams will already be paying wages way above the cap. It's likely to cause all sorts of issues....even between 'new' and 'old' players at a club. Seems to be yet aanother poorly thought through policy that simply penalises the bigger clubs in the name of 'fair play' and equality....

imagine a team going from pl to league one in a couple of seasons which happens quite often. 

200 million to 2.5 million 

for me it should be a percentage of turnover,  while I hate Leeds their turnover when in league one must have been significantly in excess of most clubs 

22 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

imagine a team going from pl to league one in a couple of seasons which happens quite often. 

for me it should be a percentage of turnover,  while I hate Leeds their turnover when in league one must have been significantly in excess of most clubs 

anyone seen Chris in Homebase or is def not coming back home

1 hour ago, Crazy said:

Unless it wasn't all about money. Maybe we said he'd only be a squad player if he stayed with us, and instead he wanted regular first team football.

You know, like what various posters have criticised Anya and Joe Hart for not doing. 

I think that may be a big factor for him ,it’s been a long time since he commanded a regular first team start either at Derby or any club he s been on loan to , truth is we have no clue what he was offered in wages or contract length and as such no clue of the sticking point 

5 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Jesus,I hope he suddenly comes back just for that attitude.

This “attitude” of not agreeing you you? 

Some of us can appreciate what he did for us whilst being excited as to what the future may hold, not pining after days gone by.

And 51% of the poll agreed it was time to move on.

Find it interesting that he’s not found a new club yet, IF he is still as good as some of you think, he wouldn’t have been a free agent for long. 

Or maybe his agent has been flooded with offers from Barca, Real, PSG and taking his time to weigh up his next destination.

1 hour ago, Paul71 said:

Existing contracts are given a value of the average of the Cap across the squad.

So a player on 5k a week under his current contract, will be recorded as earning £1.7k per week until the end of their contract. 

Relegated teams will also operate under the same rule until existing contracts are expired.

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Yes we are, and according to Cocu he was hoping that would include Chris Martin. ?

Really does feel like Groundhog Day

I never ever heard Cocu say he would be the focal point of the team, our number 9.

He wanted him to stay at the club but Martin chose not to take the contract on the table and left.

His choice. 

He’s still without a club.

I would be extremely surprised to see him come back, tail between his legs....erm....is that offer on the table.

22 minutes ago, David said:

This “attitude” of not agreeing you you? 

Some of us can appreciate what he did for us whilst being excited as to what the future may hold, not pining after days gone by.

And 51% of the poll agreed it was time to move on.

Find it interesting that he’s not found a new club yet, IF he is still as good as some of you think, he wouldn’t have been a free agent for long. 

Or maybe his agent has been flooded with offers from Barca, Real, PSG and taking his time to weigh up his next destination.

Ere , you trying to nick my job?

3 minutes ago, David said:

Really does feel like Groundhog Day

I never ever heard Cocu say he would be the focal point of the team, our number 9.

He wanted him to stay at the club but Martin chose not to take the contract on the table and left.

His choice. 

He’s still without a club.

I would be extremely surprised to see him come back, tail between his legs....erm....is that offer on the table.

A lot of love for someone who chose to leave the club and as of yet has made no public thanking for the support of the fans and what not.

It is like clinging on to a former love interest even though it is quite clear they aren't looking back.

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

Who said he did say that?

No doubt it'll be ol' snip leading the line?! ?

I’m hoping Marriott personally and seeing more of Hector Ingram. No idea why Waghorn amuses you so much.

I would be interested to hear your thoughts on this.

Lyle Taylor, he’s what, 18 months younger than Martin? 11 goals last season. 

Out of contract, free transfer, number of clubs after him, and yet there’s no real credible reported interest in Martin.

Do you not find that a bit bizarre, just I know you like myself have ambitions of seeing this club back in the Premier League. I would argue your desire maybe possibly stronger than mine.

And you have so much belief in Martin, assuming you think he’s the perfect man to take us back up. 

So there’s this free agent, proven Championship scorer over a number of seasons that’s good enough to take a club up and...yet nothing.

Lyle Taylor the journeyman, here 5 minutes, scores a few goals and in demand over Martin. Doesn’t that ??

Archived