Yet another Chris Martin thread.... Yes really

IslandExile

Chris Martin  

206 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

9 minutes ago, BondJovi said:

A lot of love for someone who chose to leave the club and as of yet has made no public thanking for the support of the fans and what not.

It is like clinging on to a former love interest even though it is quite clear they aren't looking back.

To be fair I don’t think he’s a huge social media user, he only joined Instagram fairly recently.

Keogh likewise, first you heard from him was when he joined a new club and did the standard, thanks and hi to his new fans.

Huddlestone is fairly active on social media and released something straight away. 

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, David said:

Lyle Taylor, he’s what, 18 months younger than Martin? 11 goals last season. 

Out of contract, free transfer, number of clubs after him, and yet there’s no real credible reported interest in Martin.

If he's a Cocu choice then Taylor will be here. I didn't realise that 'credible reports' ie Twitter were what counted else how did we sign Marshall? ?

4 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

If he's a Cocu choice then Taylor will be here. I didn't realise that 'credible reports' ie Twitter were what counted else how did we sign Marshall? ?

Your turn to be on watch for the martintologists today roy?

4 hours ago, Will Hughes Hair said:

So for the record Eranio managed 108 appearances for Derby (95 in the league). The error seems to be around cup games. He played four FA Cup games in our run to the quarterfinals in 1999 alone.

We can now restore him to the 100 club with other legends like Jay McEvely (101 appearances), Gary Teale (104 appearances), Gareth Roberts (104 appearances) and Tom Ince (115 appearances).

He’s also a founder member of the ‘100 but tainted’ club with Richard Keogh (355 appearances) ?

Thanks mate the numbers on wiki and transfermarkt sort of didn't sit with my memory of it.

However i m getting old and senile and with Covid my stats brain is being fried on that 16 hours a day at present.

Why is he tainted i know about the "racist" comment but i only count the ones whilst in employ at DCFC? ?

3 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

So no explanation then?

I have a theory, Martin has a particular skillset that only works in certain situations. 

13/14 prime Chris Martin was a joy to watch, he went out on loan later to Fulham where he did well as they had a similar player in Mitrovic. Remember when he arrived at Fulham? Literally turned their season around. Martin was the perfect alternative options.

Hull, Reading he was let’s be fair a bit of a flop as they didn’t know how to use him, they weren’t setup for him.

If you can create that team with pace around him, that intelligent pivot to create things he is top draw, if you don’t he can be a complete passenger where you’re playing with 10 pretty much.

Back in his prime there was never any real credible talk of interested clubs.

Fulham, Sunderland, Reading and Hull are the only clubs off the top of my head.

I think he’s a brave man turning down our offer, brave but silly due to what will be extremely limited options out there for him.

I don’t think for a second he would be Cocu’s number one choice as he was McClaren despite wanting him to stay. If he was I’m sure Mel would have pulled out all the stops to keep him, as we did when Burnley came in for Bryson, McClaren wanting Martin back from Fulham.

I think he was offered a squad role, play a few games but wouldn’t be first choice. That’s just my belief.

Pace, power is what saw so many clubs in for Taylor, those 2 attributes are not as limited into which systems they can work in. 

It’s what we need now, even Marriott isn’t ideal as he doesn’t have either, but he’s a lot more mobile than Martin who I believe will struggle to find a new club. I wouldn’t be surprised if the season starts with him still sat at home. And that’s sad to see.

5 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

He probably just wants to go drinking with Keogh in the banging nightlife of Milton Keynes. Maybe even go on nights out with boys up to towcester or visit the national computer museum at bletchly park.

An evening at Towcester Mill Brewery and then over to the Dilraj - what’s not to like..?

3 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

Was Brit Vegas banned under the totting-up rule (in his case every other post)?

He admitted to posting controversial posts in order to get bites. Didn’t believe half the stuff he was actually posting.

Was given a temporary ban, number of years later went again.

Shame really as he was one of the few members I actually invited to join the forum as he was a great poster. Not sure what changed tbh. 

3 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Flutter on the horses and food from China house then all up to the shell garage to mumble incoherent nonsense at the poor till staff

Ha yeah horses no longer unfortunately just the greyhounds nowadays but the brewery is doing great just off there myself for the late afternoon session online advanced booking only post Covid sadly 

1 hour ago, cannable said:

I don’t understand the idea that he will suddenly deteriorate as a footballer now he’s in his 30s

His whole game is based on technical ability and intelligence, you don’t lose that

Sorry, I'm not trying to single you out, but I see this repeated so often that it's become a bit of a cliche.

If technical ability & intelligence was the only thing that mattered then good players would never retire. You'd have Glenn Hoddle commanding the Spurs' midfield at the age of 62, what does it matter that he had a heart attack in 2018? His footballing brain's still there!

Martin hasn't 'suddenly' deteorated because he's in his 30's, no, he has slowly deteriorated due to both age illness though - despite this he's still a very capable Championship footballer but he becomes a lot less effective the more he plays and any contract handed to him has to represent the fact that you can no longer play him week in, week out over a 46 game season and expect him to keep the standard of play up.

Just because a player's game has never relied on pace it, it doesn't mean they can do all of their work within a 10 yard diameter of their starting position and still be as effective as they were earlier in their career. There are some exceptions which prove the rule of course, like the way Paul McGrath played when we had him, but that was in 1996 and the physical side of the game is even more demanding now than it was back then.

5 minutes ago, David said:

He admitted to posting controversial posts in order to get bites. Didn’t believe half the stuff he was actually posting.

Shame really as he was one of the few members I actually invited to join the forum as he was a great poster. Not sure what changed tbh. 

He got bored with the quality of the debates as the membership expanded, so you used to stir things up to get a reaction. 

His words not mine. 

Peterborough Away. ?

2 minutes ago, Monty said:

Ha yeah horses no longer unfortunately just the greyhounds nowadays but the brewery is doing great just off there myself for the late afternoon session online advanced booking only post Covid sadly 

I thought it was the other way round and they had horses bug not greyhounds, anyway been a while since I was staying there with work a bit back.

I'd have banned Bris the second he tried to lay claim to scouting Wayne Rooney before he was even publicly 'known about' at Everton (when he'd have been about 14, Bris about 9), saying something like "we could see how good he was going to be before anyone else caught on" ?

Weird little narcissist...

...although at least he knew the value of Simon Dawins to the team.

21 minutes ago, David said:

Too much Tequila and thinking he was something he wasn’t. Same case now on Twitter when he bought a shedload of followers 

16 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

I thought it was the other way round and they had horses bug not greyhounds, anyway been a while since I was staying there with work a bit back.

The whole place closed for about eighteen months but reopened in May I think but with no more horse racing and a modified greyhound track. A pity to lose the horses as it was a good course 

5 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

No none. ?

To be fair it’s a decent question, why no rush for Martin as a free agent at this level let alone real prem interest/ bids for hi now or in his Derby legend days ? Now that not meant to be offensive to Martin but rather a wake up nudge to those that over rate him and can’t move 

Archived