EFL charge Derby over ffp

alexxxxx

26 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Not this time I don’t think. This isn’t a threat. This is a charge.

Even if we do get away with it, this doesn’t happen if a club is being run correctly. Players get paid on time if a club is run correctly. A club that’s run correctly has foreign scouts. A club that’s run correctly doesn’t need to sell it’s stadium. A club that’s run correctly has transfer windows where they actually make the signings they set out to. A club that’s run correctly doesn’t employ a succession of managers that play entirely different styles. A club that’s run correctly doesn’t blow its whole transfer budget on entirely unsuitable players.

No, this isn’t an overreaction. The signs have been there for a long, long time. This just confirms it. Mel Morris is running this club into the ground. This could have a devastating effect on the long term future of this club. I’m not having anymore ******** excuses for a bloke who quite clearly doesn’t have a clue how to run a football club just because he’s from Derby. If MM was foreign, there’d be protests on Saturday.

Fwiw, I agree with the majority of the above.

I'm just past caring is all.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Van Gritters said:

How do you value a football stadium. Is it the cost of purchasing the land + the cost of construction or is it the constructed cost + potential revenue income. I reckon PP would cost more than £80m to build.

I think construction cost has nothing to do with it as it is a sunk cost, it will be a combination of land value+  estimated purchasing price at moderate rate if someone was looking to buy it.  I seriously hope we aren't deducted 11 points or so , as that would seriously leave a bitter taste towards Mel in my view and not the EFL becuase their rules are clear and I don't know the ins and outs of FFP people inside the club are to blame and not the EFL.

1 minute ago, Topram said:

Hopefully won’t effect our transfer business 

Oh it will; as I assume the lack of Investment is due to this - and waiting for this to be sorted is essentially the same as pulling out. Unless they're renegotiating the value of the investment. 

1 minute ago, Uptherams said:

I'd say the independent valuation will be more accurate than the one conducted by the EFL as it will take into account the potential commercial expansion of the stadium. 

It’s not one conducted by the EFL. OUR accounts had the stadium listed as an asset worth 41 million. We sold it for 80 million. If anyone submits accounts with a 39 million discrepancy it would rightly risk prosecution. It appears we have tried to have the best of both worlds and come a cropper 

8 minutes ago, Uptherams said:

My two cents. Our valuation was based upon the stadium being turned into a venue that would host none sporting events, and also things like the extended concourse and commercial outlets. This is what the investment is all about. The EFL have valued the ground based on our current use of the stadium and not accounted for anything else. 

This is probably the main point. It may well also be the point that there was not sufficient wording in the rules at the time to say we clearly couldn't do what we've done (which will be the case Derby put forward I expect) vs EFL just regarding it as clearly not the "football" value of the ground - so it could end up the yes they could sell it for £80 valuation, but only the "football related" part of that could count towards FFP.

Gonna be some very clever lawyers on here over the next few weeks.

1 minute ago, SaintRam said:

Oh it will; as I assume the lack of Investment is due to this - and waiting for this to be sorted is essentially the same as pulling out. Unless they're renegotiating the value of the investment. 

Is there a possibility that a delay is being caused by 'planning applications' being in place for infrastructure changes at the stadium? 

13 minutes ago, Uptherams said:

My two cents. Our valuation was based upon the stadium being turned into a venue that would host none sporting events, and also things like the extended concourse and commercial outlets. This is what the investment is all about. The EFL have valued the ground based on our current use of the stadium and not accounted for anything else. 

Understand the logic, but what changes would be needed to make into a venue that can host none sporting events (considering that we have already done that)?

Surely any improvements requires would have been factored into the valuation?

Let's not forget the accounts have also been audited.

2 minutes ago, ossieram said:

How do some of you cope if you have a real crisis in your lives? Some of the reactions on here are a joke.

How many of those slagging off Mel for overspending , have also called for him to spend big on players and moaned when he hasn't?

This is probably a lot of people's escape from crap in their lives, hence the over dramatic reactions

33 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Not this time I don’t think. This isn’t a threat. This is a charge.

Even if we do get away with it, this doesn’t happen if a club is being run correctly. Players get paid on time if a club is run correctly. A club that’s run correctly has foreign scouts. A club that’s run correctly doesn’t need to sell it’s stadium. A club that’s run correctly has transfer windows where they actually make the signings they set out to. A club that’s run correctly doesn’t employ a succession of managers that play entirely different styles. A club that’s run correctly doesn’t blow its whole transfer budget on entirely unsuitable players.

No, this isn’t an overreaction. The signs have been there for a long, long time. This just confirms it. Mel Morris is running this club into the ground. This could have a devastating effect on the long term future of this club. I’m not having anymore ******** excuses for a bloke who quite clearly doesn’t have a clue how to run a football club just because he’s from Derby. If MM was foreign, there’d be protests on Saturday.

I don’t always agree with you but you make some valid points especially the part about scouts and selling the ground ...

Also the drink driving incident was not dealt with correctly 

perhaps now you might see how difficult it must be for Mr Cocu ...seems quite shambolic to me 

Kevin Maguire just been on the radio he says this all revolves around the stadium valuation if you took out the sale the ffp losses would have been £53million which on the Birmingham style punishment would equate to a  eleven point deduction.However has they have allowed the sales of stadiums of other clubs grounds they will have to allow it to be taken into account but at a reduced value which would he guessed be similar to Readings at £27 million which would still mean Derby comply with ffp.

The interesting thing he says is that Derby have received the £80 mill into their bank but the other sales were purely numbers moving around on paper.

if the efl have charged us because we have sold an asset for a larger fee than what the efl consider it is worth, then surely they have to look at all sales of assets of all clubs. 
Shouldn’t players be classed as assets? 
If you do this to one club then all clubs should be treated the same, next tine a player is sold for big bucks what’s to stop someone complaining that he wasn’t worth that much and the efl having to value the player?
Or am I just being petulant 

3 minutes ago, 1967RAMS said:

It’s not one conducted by the EFL. OUR accounts had the stadium listed as an asset worth 41 million. We sold it for 80 million. If anyone submits accounts with a 39 million discrepancy it would rightly risk prosecution. It appears we have tried to have the best of both worlds and come a cropper 

I understand. But that isn't to say the stadiums valuation has been falsified. It could have been undervalued as an asset. 

My opinion, at £41m, it was. 

I feel indifferent for a few reasons 1) I don't think it matters too much to me, personally relegation would probably make next season more interesting than staying up. Not better, but certainly more interesting. 2) I'm not totally convinced that this will lead to anything. Mel is above all a smart guy and I'm sure he will not go down without a fight. 3) This is becoming typical - the club has become a comedy show that needs a reset. 

Therefore, we get punished by FFP or we don't get punished by FFP - I actually think there is pros and cons to both. 

8 minutes ago, GenBr said:

If we had to sell the ground to remain compliant then we are incompetent. We knew how much we were allowed to spend. 

Agreed.

As an aside though do you remember our fanbase when we were being run by GSE, bottom 6 wage bill and still running up annual losses of £9m/£10m?

I do, the numbers dwindled, I believe there were even protests outside the ground against them because they would only sanction 'Barker like fees'. The manager and scouts were abused because we shopped around the lower divisions and Scotland.

Some people have very short memories.

Archived