The Politics Thread 2020

G STAR RAM

17 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

Ridiculous post.. 

For some people, it clearly is oppressive. 

Look at it this way. I read one US based person say they'd also passed a counterfeit note at some store, one they got from an ATM. The police were not called and nobody was arrested. 

The person was white. 

When people talk about white privilege, it's things like this. No presumption you're trying to screw someone, more likely you just get a pass. If you aren't white, your chances drop of not being automatically suspected of doing something illicit. 

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

At least when Diane Abbott got her numbers mixed up she wasn't talking about actual deaths in the middle of a pandemic. 

Unreal. 

IMG_20200601_221802.jpg

Doesn't make them seem less believable, somehow. They were always bobbins. 

1 minute ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

I'm just trying to figure out how they have somehow missed 445 deaths out from todays announcement based on the numbers they have published. 

Probably they rolled a double six. 

14 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

At least when Diane Abbott got her numbers mixed up she wasn't talking about actual deaths in the middle of a pandemic. 

Unreal. 

IMG_20200601_221802.jpg

4 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

I'm just trying to figure out how they have somehow missed 445 deaths out from todays announcement based on the numbers they have published. 

Theres a 'Notes' section on the daily tweet that explains this, they haven't missed them, they didn't previously include deaths from 'Pillar 2' testing, they have now, so that's the 445 difference.

In case anyone's not aware, I believe Pillar 1 testing is via NHS labs (including 'people with a clinical need', and health and care workers), Pillar 2 testing is via commercial labs (key and essential workers, care home residents and workers), Pillar 3 is antibody testing and Pillar 4 is the testing for research purposes.

1 hour ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I can see this is going to go on for a little while.

For Angry's point, I think 'oppressive regime' is an inaccurate when the likes of China are running literal concentration camps, Saudi Arabia have only just let women drive, etc. Relative to a lot of countries, the USA is extremely libertarian.

But to Gboro's, Schtive's, etc's point, that doesn't mean it can't be criticised. It's quite clear that, on average, it's easier being a white person in America (and every other Western country) than it is to be a person of any other colour. It might be difficult to accept that we're in a lucky position, but it's true. This is manifested everywhere: how people are able to walk down the street, who gets jobs interviews, how people are treated by the police, how people are treated by the POTUS, etc. 

As always, I think both sides will bring forward valid points but I don't see anyone coming to a consensus.

Excellent post...

Although I would add that there is something deeply dysfunctional about the police force in the US and it's attitude towards minorities.  Coupled with their propensity to use excessive force, it has rapidly become a precarious place for a non-white person to be confronted by law-enforcement.  More so than other western states I would think. 

It's genuinely quite disturbing seeing the pictures from America. I wish the Democrats had a leader that could unite the nation, but with Biden it would unfortunately be a continuation of the same. Very, very clear that big changes need to be made in that country. A lot of the rioting has seemingly been started by the police being completely aggressive. We're far from perfect in this country, but we're a million miles ahead of the US.

9 hours ago, GboroRam said:

For some people, it clearly is oppressive. 

Look at it this way. I read one US based person say they'd also passed a counterfeit note at some store, one they got from an ATM. The police were not called and nobody was arrested. 

The person was white. 

When people talk about white privilege, it's things like this. No presumption you're trying to screw someone, more likely you just get a pass. If you aren't white, your chances drop of not being automatically suspected of doing something illicit. 

Come on, no society is perfect but the US is far from oppressive. Let’s have a bit of context. 
Now if you want to talk North Korea, that’s oppressive. 

7 hours ago, Needlesh said:

All makes me rather glad to be British.

I'm sure someone mentioned this earlier, but it's not that long ago that this country suffered nationwide riots and looting because the police had the temerity to shoot an armed drug dealer. I'm afraid we're just as stupid and easily manipulated as the Americans.

15 hours ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

our local news said 70ft, but still a completely dumb thing to do.......one bloke apparently did a running jump, but over-rotated and belly-flopped into the sea from 70ft up.

Yeah sorry, that was me.

awkward tsunami GIF

9 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

As always, I think both sides will bring forward valid points but I don't see anyone coming to a consensus.

There isn't one, You'll need a lot of fences for people to either sit on or stand on eitherside, We're not built to think by the maker, We develope our own thoughts through, Social, Peers, Work, Friends, Media, Neighbours and more many more, There's protesters who genuinely believe a protest can lead to change or for their voices to be heard, There's protesters who come from far and wide or local that see this as an opportunity to hit back at those they see as the oppressors, These oppressors are the local Churches, Shops, Cars, Bars, Petrol stations, Police stations, It's their towns and Citys that are burning.

The White officer that has been charged with Murder had 17 cases already against him by his employers(reported on the BBC)17, And yet he was still able to wear his uniform and kill some one, The system whatever the system is in the States looks to be broken or at least fractured, Below are figures of killings by USA Police by Colour and year from 2017.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/585152/people-shot-to-death-by-us-police-by-race/

Until we, Yes we create a society that's a good fit for all(Eutopia)this will carry on until we eat ourselves, I was in the States some 20 yers ago, The Brother-in-Law had an apartment in Clearwater Florida(we didn't stay there)we flew into Orlando Airport then drove for around 90mins west before finding our Villa, I remember the roads name Orange Blossom Drive/Grove we stayed on, It was lined full of Orange trees it was nothing i'd seen the like of before or since, It was my 1st and only time in the States, After a couple of days we drove to his apartment in Clearwater and went through Tampa, We pulled off the highway and drove for around 5mins, We had left a beautifull town to view what I could only call as a $hithole of an area, Trailer park after trailer park of poor WHITE folks, The Brother-in-Law wanted to show me that all is not what we see on USA TV soap operas, The underbelly for the Black AND White underclass is there for all to see...if they choose too, Back on the Highway and over some long bridge over water and there was Clearwater, A beautifull resort but a million miles from what i'd seen in Tampa.

The riots in the States is down to anger, Decades of anger, It will subside and calm will return eventually, But it will always be there, A little spark waiting to ignite, Can it be cured...I believe it can, Will it be cured...NO!

39 minutes ago, TramRam said:

Until we, Yes we create a society that's a good fit for all(Eutopia)this will carry on until we eat ourselves, I was in the States some 20 yers ago, The Brother-in-Law had an apartment in Clearwater Florida(we didn't stay there)we flew into Orlando Airport then drove for around 90mins west before finding our Villa, I remember the roads name Orange Blossom Drive/Grove we stayed on, It was lined full of Orange trees it was nothing i'd seen the like of before or since, It was my 1st and only time in the States, After a couple of days we drove to his apartment in Clearwater and went through Tampa, We pulled off the highway and drove for around 5mins, We had left a beautifull town to view what I could only call as a $hithole of an area, Trailer park after trailer park of poor WHITE folks, The Brother-in-Law wanted to show me that all is not what we see on USA TV soap operas, The underbelly for the Black AND White underclass is there for all to see...if they choose too, Back on the Highway and over some long bridge over water and there was Clearwater, A beautifull resort but a million miles from what i'd seen in Tampa.

Class issues, regardless of race, are very real, but acknowledging that racism exists doesn’t mean denying that poor white communities also face hardship. I don’t think that’s what you’re saying in your reasoned post, but I do think that it’s important to stay focused on the issue at hand when it comes to the protests. There’s a place and a time for asking ‘what about...?’, but I don’t think that’s here and now.

Institutionalised racism exists alongside institutionalised classism, but the aim of the current protests is to stop the former, and hopefully we can work towards ending both in time (as idealistic and potentially unrealistic as that sounds).

Can't believe Trump, he stands in front of a church as a photo opportunity. Then makes a speech saying he will use the full force the military to stop the protests. He says he his doing this to protect the nation. Why did he also say it would preserve the second amendment, which is the right to bare arms. This is an open invitation for all the white supremacist to come out on to the streets with their automatic rifles.

Is this moron trying to incite even more violence on the streets of America than there already is

2A is essential. Numerous mayors are refusing to deploy police in areas because it's too dangerous whilst their citizens businesses and homes are being looted and destroyed. Citizens have the right to defend their property and themselves. 2A grants them the means.

2 hours ago, Angry Ram said:

Come on, no society is perfect but the US is far from oppressive. Let’s have a bit of context.

Context? OK. The US is far from oppressive when you don't live there and you aren't a poor non-white person.

In that respect you are right. It's far from oppressive

image.thumb.png.77cda586c7191c432a2979c3c0394d8d.png

Archived