Cocu In

Bazal77

I can't think of a manager who's had more bad luck in his first six months at a club. 

It's like the gods have lined up against him and are taking potshots at him. 

I wouldn't blame him if he walked if we get the points deduction (I wouldn't have blamed him if he'd walked at any point in the last three months to be honest).

But if he stays and turns this around... that would be something incredible.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As things stand right this minute (seeing as I don't have a crystal ball), I can't see him walking anywhere.  Why would he?  

Those of us (fans) with any semblance of common sense acknowledge that all the off-field crap that has gone on since his arrival cannot in any way be attributed to him. 
This in turn, more than excuses any events relating to on-pitch team selections/performances/results/league position etc.  (Injuries/Suspensions/Not his players/Can't coach monkeys etc, etc...)
His employers know that... and he knows they know that!
He'll be on a good screw, on a long contract.  Plenty of time to become the new messiah yet a while! 
Whilst he has these "excuses", what he hasn't yet done is show his true worth/potential (certainly within these shores), which may well limit where he could go next.
Assuming no in-comings in this window, again that will not now be attributed to Cocu, but "the other stuff" going on behind the scenes.

No, he has absolutely no cause nor reason to walk. Personally, I think he'll come good (to put it mildly), and we'll all be glad he stayed.

Now... about this personal grooming, Phillip...

You could easily build a case for cocu being one of the most likeable managers of recent times. Never bad mouthed people talks so well and the gleam in his eyes after we win tell a 1000 words. He absolutely loves managing us. You can tell. He’s like a shy girl that you chat to and as you spend more time together you realise how lovely and likeable she is. Same for our Phil his smile is infectious. It’s clear to me cocu is here for the long run and is clearly enjoying life. My king 

55 minutes ago, Big Trav said:

You could easily build a case for cocu being one of the most likeable managers of recent times. Never bad mouthed people talks so well and the gleam in his eyes after we win tell a 1000 words. He absolutely loves managing us. You can tell. He’s like a shy girl that you chat to and as you spend more time together you realise how lovely and likeable she is. Same for our Phil his smile is infectious. It’s clear to me cocu is here for the long run and is clearly enjoying life. My king 

She’s dippy though. 

Results appear to be improving whilst still fielding a mixed team of youth players ,Hudds and Rooney have no doubt steadied our performances,whilst players such as Marriott ,Lawrence and the likes aren't automatically in the first eleven .Players coming back from injury give us good versatility .All in all with Bogle, Holmes,Beilick, Knight, we have a good mix of youth and experience within the squad which should serve us well. Would think strengthening in goal and Centre back would give us the opportunity to push for promotion next season. Whilst giving Cocu the time to further establish his footballing ethics and management upon the squad whilst improving the youngsters.

Quietly Confident of the future with Cocu and Mel's continued commitment.

Just need time for everything to click and fall into place

Perversely, I would say the FFP fiasco actually increases the chances of Cocu staying.

It seems the case that Cocu is a club/squad builder rather than a short term transformational manager. Before becoming manager of PSV, he insisted on a year in charge of their youth team & he has often spoken of his job at Derby as being a long term project. Clearly managers who only want short terms success generally tend not to be that interested in the youth teams as they only want ready made players to help get results.

Although we've been top 6 or thereabouts for much of the last 5 seasons, it's created a burden of expectation that we will always be top 6 - which I think has driven some of the extreme reactions on here when we were struggling in December & probably some of the home crowd frustration at times too. That's a very difficult environment to operate in when you're trying to remodel a squad, introduce youth players & change the culture of the club.

The inevitable consequences of the EFL charge - whether it is an actual points deduction or just weeks of uncertainty - has totally changed the dynamic of the season. No sane person would now expect a top 6 push & instead the emphasis will be to get as far away from the bottom 3 as possible just in case points are deducted. It doesn't reduce the pressure on the club but this is now an external pressure rather than an internal pressure. It might be a blessing in disguise in the long term as I believe its a lack of continuity that is holding this club back - nothing else.

Really liked Cocu's interview after the game yesterday & in particular his reaction to people attacking the club. He's bought into Derby & I hope he gets all the success his talent & commitment deserves.

I want all Derby managers to succeed, of course. But, I don’t think there’s a manager in recent times who I want to succeed more than Cocu.

He has had everything thrown at him in his first six months and yet he has battled through and hopefully will reap the rewards. He is a man of class, integrity with a steely determination to succeed. Nothing would please me more than the ground belting out Cocu’s Barmy Army as we storm to promotion in 2021. Cocu In!!

His late start to the season and poor pre season would take some time to recover from. The Joiners saga could easily have ruined the entire season. The large number of injuries at once. Our two main signings of the summer,Dowell was crap and Bielik is out for the season having barely been fit. And now the EFL charge. 

Rooney has clearly been a big lift, but you can't deny that Cocu has had a real rough hand dealt so far this season and none of that is of his doing. He has handled all of it with class and integrity and should have our full support. You wouldn't blame him for making an exit but he has got stuck in and is hopefully riding out the storm.

Archived