v Charlton Athletic (H) - Matchday Thread

Rampant

Great win and very relieved !

Not done anything to change me being concerned about Cocu though - always thought the squad should be doing better.

But onwards and upwards - keep playing like that and I’ll soon be more convinced by Phil 

• Replies 927
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, David said:

Would have been easier with 11, not sure what Bielik was thinking, continued his rampage from the Wigan game and finally got his Red card. 

Love to see a player fight, but you have to be sensible and thankfully it didn’t cost us the 3 points as the remaining 10 put in a real shift. 

Hamer, Clarke, Lowe, Bird, Holmes, all had great games, 9/10’s

Wisdom, Waghorn, Marriott, Davies 8/10’s

Knight?....10/10, the lad has everything you want from a midfielder, faultless performance tonight in what was a big game given the recent form and league table. Pour that man a shandy.

Loved that team performance, always nice to win a few quid as well from a free bet

51383E6B-835F-4A6A-8E95-CAA365FEDDE3.png

PlEaSe GaMbLe ReSpOnSiBlY ?

On 29/12/2019 at 16:37, jono said:

It means he can control the ball, run with it and keep the ball close to his feet when doing it and at pace. 

gives the ball away ?  An issue common with most of our makeshift patched up injury hit team. Wrong to single him out especially as he is consistently our most energetic player who takes the fight to the opponent rather than going backwards. At least he takes the right sort of risk ! 

personally I am looking forward to him playing with Rooney rather than Lawrence. 

Holmes was awesome tonight to be fair 

What a lovely game of football. So much grit and passion.

And Duane "Bulldozer" Holmes, I love you. I didn't know bulldozers can slalom like he did today. He went past their players like they weren't there. Absolutey amazing performance, MOM even with Knight's brace.

The reason for this is obvious. He got the ball way more today as Lawrence wasn't holding and losing it. These youngster around him (and Waggy) actually can pass it to him so he can show what he can do.

Such a special performance. Our best of the whole season. The grit, the fight, the passion the team showed was magnificent. To play 75 minutes with 10 men, and for the most part play the opposition off the pitch. If that is how we're going to play in the future, I can buy into that completely. 

Jason Knight. Wow. He did not stop running all night, found himself into a Bryson esque position at the back post for his second after showing incredible bravery for the first. Some talent. Absolute critical member of the squad, we've got an absolute gem there. His attitude was absolutely spot on.

Duane Holmes. Special, special performances. The only thing stopping him getting man of the match is the goals of Knight, he was everywhere. Defensive tackles, drifting past players like they weren't there, covering absolutely miles of ground. 

Max Bird, had a lovely drive forward through midfield to set up Marriott in the second half, lovely ball to find Knight for the second. Seems to have matured his game a lot since I last saw him play. Big positive. Deserves to keep his spot for Barnsley.

Max Lowe worked so hard. At one point Solly came flying into him with a strong challenge and Max went in equally as hard and came out absolutely unphased. He is top quality on the ball, and he was even sprinting back to cover at 97 minutes on the clock. I love our young players, they have so much desire. 

Those are just the players I want to highlight especially, but everyone worked so hard. Waggy and Marriott ran themselves into the ground, Clarke, Davies and Wisdom won big headers, Hamer made a great string of saves towards the end of the game. 

Archived