Positives about Cocu

MackworthRamIsGod

Actual winds me up some of these fickle fans calling for his head.

Ok. Let’s sack Cocu, lets have ANOTHER reshuffle of our staff, lets bring in Mac pt.3

Lets start all over again like we do EVERY SINGLE SEASON

We was carried in the Rowett season by Matej Vydra in a, lets face it, poor division at that time.

We was carried by Mason Mount, Tomori, Wilson last season.

This year we have pooty loans, Dowell who couldn’t get a game for Sheff Utd, Pato who struggles to get into the team at Bristol, and Matt Clarke, who was in league 1 last season!

To be fair, Clarkes the only one who’s been okay! and thats saying something.

We have had a horrific season thus far with losing our club captain, two of our players being charged for drink driving.

there is definitely an impact of what happened within the team!

Not being funny but i’m sure a lot of the lads are still p*ssed off with it.

You really think another manager would of been able to cope with all this better? No!

I’m sure the signings made in the summer were already drafted up before Cocu came in and having to act quickly he just said yes to them!

For **** sake.

We are not a top 6 team anymore, we don’t have the spine of the squad we did last year.

What we have is a bunch of bang average championship players, with 2-3 decent ones!

January can’t come quick enough when we can actually get some decent quality players in.

Yes the performances have been poo bur what can you expect,

We aren’t the Derby county we was last year and theres the reasons for that, we don't have the players.

Getting rid of Bradley Johnson for one was a stupid decision.

Anyways enough ranting.

We will see results, honestly we will, stay ducking patient because this whole concept of sacking when things go a little tits up is ridiculous.

We will be back to square 1 again.

Cocu is a good manager, we know that from his CV.

Lets get behind the lads and keep going.

Come on you bloody beautiful rams.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

20 goals in 20 games. Jayden Bogle at right wing. I mean come on people. Open your eyes. I’ve defended Cocu a lot earlier this season, but he’s totally lost me these last couple of games. Don’t care what quality of players are at his disposal, if he’s deploying those sort of tactics, then he’s not the right man to lead us forward imo. Can give him all the time in the world, the best we’re gonna do is build an effective Rowett team. Is that the long term aim? Really? With a manager this defensive minded, you can give him until 2050 and we won’t see Mac one esque football, a leopard rarely changes its spots. The PSV fans all said it, and so did the Fenerbache fans.

41 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

20 goals in 20 games. Jayden Bogle at right wing. I mean come on people. Open your eyes. I’ve defended Cocu a lot earlier this season, but he’s totally lost me these last couple of games. Don’t care what quality of players are at his disposal, if he’s deploying those sort of tactics, then he’s not the right man to lead us forward imo. Can give him all the time in the world, the best we’re gonna do is build an effective Rowett team. Is that the long term aim? Really? With a manager this defensive minded, you can give him until 2050 and we won’t see Mac one esque football, a leopard rarely changes its spots. The PSV fans all said it, and so did the Fenerbache fans.

Bogle looks like an attacking threat, always thought he’s better attacking than defending. 

1 hour ago, Ambitious said:

We've got a manager who seems committed to building something, so I'm happy to let him work it out. Not sure I can actually be bothered with another manager change, especially as we're going to be in the Championship either way. 

He seems to prefer straw to bricks

9 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

... based on what?

Oh great, Roy's started his annual managerial vendetta. Last Easter, he was after Lampard's head. Year before, Rowett even though we were top 6. No surprise to see @kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong involved too.

Listen chaps, Steve McClaren will never manage this club again. Process that, accept it & move on.

P.s. Roy, it's based on 3 Eredivises titles. 2 more than your hero ?

9 hours ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

For what it's worth. I don't want Cocu out. But I do struggle to defend him sometimes. Some decisions are baffling.

To me we seem like a team of individuals.

But Cocu has overseen our worst away record since that disastrous Premier League season.

Every away game is the same. We don't create, we don't shoot. It's absolutely pathetic. We don't seem to go into away games to win. Just trying to stop the opposition.

Our team is utterly utterly pathetic. I have no affiliation with any player. Infact it's the most detached I've felt from the club in some time.

Looking at our squad. We need a keeper. Hamer is number one now. But he's not ours. 

Our current centre half pairing isn't what we want. If someone said we would have Davies and Forsyth as our centre halves at the start of the season nobody would have been happy.

I love Davies, he seems to be the only one that cares. But he's not really the answer now. 

Waghorn is a typical Derby signing. Has a good season at Championship level and we spunk stupid amounts on what essentially is a bang average striker. Doesn't hold the ball up. Can't play on his own. Can't play in a two. Not really good on the wing. Misses chances.

Lawrence is a disgrace. Has a good game. Then disappears for the next 7/8 games. Absolute luxury who most of the time doesn't look interested. Sooner he's gone the better. Been the same for 3 years. Get rid.

Holmes hasn't got an end product. Got everything before that. Doesn't assist doesn't score.

Marriott starts last week. Gets no service at all then a week later is dropped. 

Martin is the only player we have that can bring others into play. We played him and Marriott up top against Boro and it looked promising. But rather than stick with that and give it time to develop. We haven't seen it since.

We need so much work it's frightening. 

Only reason I'll stand by Cocu is this isn't his squad. It's 3 different managers squads. 

Personally I'd give him January and the summer transfer windows. If we get to October/November and we're still around this mark in the table he's gone.

Absolutely nailed it mate 

I echo every single word to the letter 

the only thing I’ll add would be 

that if a neutral fan had watched yesterday and seen the lack of care, effort and crass application of some of those players you would go away thinking the manager is a dead man walking 

it was pathetic and it’s not an isolated performance... especially on the road 

People allude to “ transition” but in my mind u still need to either see a direction , a purpose or something you can see that is being built .... I’m seeing nothing and quite frankly with every week that passes the players look more alienated and devoid of ideas and cohesion 

quite frankly I’m simply concerned 

this season could still take an u pleasant twist if we continue to perform like yesterday and every other away game 

8 hours ago, Squid said:

Actual winds me up some of these fickle fans calling for his head.

Ok. Let’s sack Cocu, lets have ANOTHER reshuffle of our staff, lets bring in Mac pt.3

Lets start all over again like we do EVERY SINGLE SEASON

We was carried in the Rowett season by Matej Vydra in a, lets face it, poor division at that time.

We was carried by Mason Mount, Tomori, Wilson last season.

This year we have pooty loans, Dowell who couldn’t get a game for Sheff Utd, Pato who struggles to get into the team at Bristol, and Matt Clarke, who was in league 1 last season!

To be fair, Clarkes the only one who’s been okay! and thats saying something.

We have had a horrific season thus far with losing our club captain, two of our players being charged for drink driving.

there is definitely an impact of what happened within the team!

Not being funny but i’m sure a lot of the lads are still p*ssed off with it.

You really think another manager would of been able to cope with all this better? No!

I’m sure the signings made in the summer were already drafted up before Cocu came in and having to act quickly he just said yes to them!

For **** sake.

We are not a top 6 team anymore, we don’t have the spine of the squad we did last year.

What we have is a bunch of bang average championship players, with 2-3 decent ones!

January can’t come quick enough when we can actually get some decent quality players in.

Yes the performances have been poo bur what can you expect,

We aren’t the Derby county we was last year and theres the reasons for that, we don't have the players.

Getting rid of Bradley Johnson for one was a stupid decision.

Anyways enough ranting.

We will see results, honestly we will, stay ducking patient because this whole concept of sacking when things go a little tits up is ridiculous.

We will be back to square 1 again.

Cocu is a good manager, we know that from his CV.

Lets get behind the lads and keep going.

Come on you bloody beautiful rams.

So who’s fault is it we signed pato, Dowell and bielik ?

at what point does the buck stop with the manager ?

if u were Mel would u not be considering how much to allow cocu to spunk on players that contribute little to the squad 

Amongst other things ... results and performances being the obvious ones transfer recruitment is usually something managers are evaluated on 

no one can defend cocu on this front our recruitment has been shocking under him 

if u were Mel would u not be thinking twice about letting him go at it again ? 

11 hours ago, Yani P said:

Simple question for me.. What is Cocu actually building? Like I've said already players here are more than good enough to be challenging at the top.. Something is fundamentally wrong when you watch the same disjointed mess week in week out.. 

It looked promising when we finally got the diamond and Marriott and Martin. Then what happened? He changed it! Anyhow, let’s not have another managerial change so let’s carry on watching this inchoate dross; I’m looking forward to seeing Florian Josephzoon and Roos return next week in a 3-1-1–2–1-1–1-1 formation. Let’s hope we score from the 1 chance we create against Wednesday. Hey relax. We’ve got Rooney! ???

If we sack Cocu, a few months into a 4 year deal on £2.5m it would be an FFP disaster. Furthermore - it won’t get this squad of players in the top 6 because the balance of the squad right now isn’t good enough to enable that. Which then begs the question - unless we are at serious risk of relegation - what would be the ducking point?!

He can only manage with the tools he has and they are not very good. We expected this sort of season last year with Lampard but Chelsea did him a favour with Mount and Tomori and he got Wilson - they carried us without them we’d have been where we are now. We don’t have the FFP wiggle to throw money at another manager, therefore the alternative is a rebuild which will take time. Other posters have alluded to Hughton and Farke struggling in their first seasons at Brighton. I think this will be similar but Cocu has the pedigree to succeed and the hunger as let’s face it, lose his job here it will be a long road back.

The Preston performance set the benchmark. That has given me hope that given time, we’ll get to the point where that performance is the norm and not the exception. We should not lose sight of the injuries during and since Preston. A big factor. 

As for playing Dowell, he had to play him, all the others have failed, need to look at him again before making a decision in Jan. I agree though I’m getting frustrated he’s not playing Knight, it’s time to play him but we have to expect good and bad performances from him and continued inconsistency whoever is manager.

A couple of box to box midfielders in Jan could transform this team, but they have to be the right ones, we can’t throw money at it, we also have to be sure they don’t stifle development of academy players as that is the route we are following.

On the positives - I fly to Oz on Weds until early Jan so will miss Sheff Wed through to Barnsley. That’s a good chunk of games - Derby’s record when I’m in Oz is P12  W11  D1 L0 - it’s insanely good and took in Mac 1 climb up the table and Rowett’s run to 2nd in the league!! Let’s hope for similar this time!!

10 hours ago, RamNut said:

Today was a tight game. We weren’t getting smashed. We just aren’t very creative or exciting and we are dropping points.

its not bad enough to sack anyone. It’s not good enough to excite anyone.

the problem is all the tinkering and tactical buggery. That combined with poor performances and defeats will be toxic in the dressing room as yet another plan crumbles. Ultimately blame will be apportioned. Whatever we think is irrelevant, but if it falls apart behind the scenes then that will be what matters.

That. Tinkering and tactical buggery. That encapsulates it. It’s a mess. 

Phillip Cocu is Dutch.  That is enough positive for me!

As someone who goes camping in France each year... which let's face it, is a national pastime for The Dutch... it is clear that The Dutch are the most considerate, kind, intelligent and witty nation in the entirety of Europedom!
Our camping motto is "We like The Dutch, don't we dear?".
Without fail, when we pull up on our pitch and see one of those lovely bright yellow NL reg plates on the neighbouring pitch, we simply whoop with delight.

Oh... and we have what is considered by many to be arguably "the best tent on the market"... which just happens to be hand made by... wait for it... The Dutch!

He'll do for me.  

15 minutes ago, NottsRam77 said:

that if a neutral fan had watched yesterday and seen the lack of care, effort and crass application of some of those players you would go away thinking the manager is a dead man walking 

People allude to “ transition” but in my mind u still need to either see a direction , a purpose or something you can see that is being built .... I’m seeing nothing and quite frankly with every week that passes the players look more alienated and devoid of ideas and cohesion 

this season could still take an u pleasant twist if we continue to perform like yesterday and every other away game 

I’ve been a supporter all my life. I’m a season ticket holder. I bought tickets on Thursday for Wigan away. Yesterday I didn’t even bother to follow the game after I saw the team selection. I’m even considering not bothering to turn up on Wednesday. There is simply no method to the madness that is behind the selection and the tactics. I’d love to be a fly on the wall at Phillip’s staff team selection meetings. Remember the Austin Allegro built by British Leyland? It had a square steering wheel. Somebody, as Clarkson once pointed out said “I know...let’s give it a Square steering wheel” then somebody else said “ what a good idea”. 

23 minutes ago, NottsRam77 said:

I agree mate.

The lack of effort sometimes away is staggering. 

But they seem to put the effort in at home. So I still think they are playing for the manager. 

There is no direction. You're right. But I think Cocu is working with what he's got and it's not good enough at all.

Couldn't argue against anyone who wanted him out at all. I just think nobody would get anything out of this squad.

The signs were there last season. We lost Mount for 10 weeks and we were awful. No creativity at all. We still had Wilson then. 

Needs a couple of windows. But I think the summer one is already huge regardless of January.

If I was cocu I would be playing Martin and Marriott up top for an extended period of games. Mix it up. Play some balls over the top for Marriott to chase. Turn teams round, stretch them, put them in two minds.

Dowell can go. I would take him and his lack of ability and lazy attitude to the train station myself. I would play knight for ten games and find out if he has it or not. If we don’t do that now when will we.

i would also expect us to run more and work harder in and out of possession. We look unfit and lazy. How much is down to the boozing? That question will forever hang a shadow over this group of players I’m afraid. Poor pre-season added to midweek drinking does not a professional athlete make.

i would also stick to the same system. Pick what I thought was my best 11, barring injuries, and stuck with it-let partnerships develop.

if we did that then I think we would all understand what he was trying to do. As it is no one has a clue what the short or long term plan is. I don’t think it’s complicated, I just think we make it so.!

16 minutes ago, Steve Buckley’s Dog said:

If I was cocu I would be playing Martin and Marriott up top for an extended period of games. Mix it up. Play some balls over the top for Marriott to chase. Turn teams round, stretch them, put them in two minds.

Dowell can go. I would take him and his lack of ability and lazy attitude to the train station myself. I would play knight for ten games and find out if he has it or not. If we don’t do that now when will we.

i would also expect us to run more and work harder in and out of possession. We look unfit and lazy. How much is down to the boozing? That question will forever hang a shadow over this group of players I’m afraid. Poor pre-season added to midweek drinking does not a professional athlete make.

i would also stick to the same system. Pick what I thought was my best 11, barring injuries, and stuck with it-let partnerships develop.

if we did that then I think we would all understand what he was trying to do. As it is no one has a clue what the short or long term plan is. I don’t think it’s complicated, I just think we make it so.!

It’s cerebral weetabix. Mash it all up. 

13 hours ago, Nuwtfly said:

- His work with the academy has been outstanding so far. A lot of that has been behind the scenes, which is unfortunate for us fans, but I'm sure someone like @OwenB87could attest to that. 

- He's trying to instil a long-term vision. Not something based immediate success or results. It's something that will take time. You either have to be on board with that, and commit, or you're not on board with it, which is absolutely fair enough. People were saying last season under Lampard that, due to the mass loss of players over the summer, that this would be the real transition season: yet some seem shocked that our season is playing out exactly how a transition season normally does. See Brighton in the early days of Hughton. First season of Farke at Norwich.

- He's the most successful manager (trophies wise/games won) to manage us since I've been supporting Derby (my first season was George Burley's last). That has to count for something.

- Results have been very, very mixed. I understand and appreciate that. Some games we played well enough to win and didn't. Some games we've been really poor but managed a win/got away with a draw. Other times we've been rightly punished for being absolutely awful (first Forest game, Fulham, Charlton, Blackburn). I have seen greenshoots, at times.

I am Cocu in and will be Cocu in until he's gone, I think, because I have heard things about what's going on behind the scenes at Derby and it's massively positive, especially under the circumstances (do we really appreciate the impact these incidents have had on our team spirit/other factors?)

However, I do understand and can see why fans are turning on him. Results and performances have not been good enough for a squad like this, and other managers who are very qualified for this division are currently available.

December is going to be a huge month for him. 

Great post @Nuwtfly. I like to think he's trying out every possible option and challenging every one of his players in the first half of the season, the first half of the race, so he knows exactly what he's got and what he needs in the January window, which he will go and get and thereafter at future transfer windows. 

At the same time he will be with his team of coaches and staff working out how to beat all the opposing teams in the second half of the season when we fly like @Nuwtfly who is capable of being patient and positive and can realise the time it takes to turn around a team that have too many selfish players in it, and that believe they are better than they actually are, and in the long run, he will keep the strong talented players and replace those that see DCFC as an easy wage, easy bet.

So don't follow the favourites, get yourself down the bookies and place your bet on the horse that is being held back and wearing the 'Brassneck' colours, (red & green, never to be seen) at the back, come January when we let the Shackell's go and turn defence into attack. Phillip Cocu in the red cap but wearing white trousers on a horse of black, at the back!

In front of the cameras........Phillip Cocu plays the game, very well indeed........and I love him to bits..........

As for our fans that opt to turn so quickly.........it's Brassneck....I just decided I don't trust you anymore.......type of a game and when we get on to that great run, these are the fans that will flip like a coin and will quite gladly shake their horses bits all over the forum!

4 hours ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Oh great, Roy's started his annual managerial vendetta. Last Easter, he was after Lampard's head. Year before, Rowett even though we were top 6. No surprise to see @kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong involved too.

Listen chaps, Steve McClaren will never manage this club again. Process that, accept it & move on.

P.s. Roy, it's based on 3 Eredivises titles. 2 more than your hero ?

I didn't say I wanted his head. I was commenting on his performance as a manger of DCFC - comprehend-ay?!

If you think that a couple of Dutch titles makes Cocu a better manager than Mac you need to think again. And just so you realise Lampard, Rowett, Mac, Clement all failed to get us promoted. But at least Mac 1 got us to be admired playing great footbal, do you see Cocu doing that?!

Archived