Positives about Cocu

MackworthRamIsGod

10 hours ago, TexasRam said:

I’d rather have zero identity and lose 5-0 every game than watch the poo Rowett served up. I actually think I can see what Cocu is trying to do, at present we don’t have the players. Come August next year who knows ??? What I do know is if we change again now it’ll be August 2021 before we see what we are capable of

Can you explain what he is trying to do?

If he needs new players to make his system work does this indicate hes not a very good coach? Cant teach players how to adapt to his system?

I dont even know what his system is to be honest, other than negative possession football.

If we need a whole new team of players next season is that going to be another transition season?

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

As per my poll (I was bored), on RD post match someone commentated that Cocu sets up his teams to (paraphrase) 'oppose the opposition'.

That seems a fair comment. 

I can only assume by this he doesnt think our own players are good enough to give the opposition anything to worry about. 

Either that or his tactics.

The players aren’t clever enough to play the way Cocu wants us to play. We saw the same under Lampard last year in the first few games, where the midfield was supposed to be a lot more flexible leading to players out of position and our defence exposed. Lampard adjusted his tactics to suit the intelligence levels of the players and results quickly improved. 
Will Cocu simplify his tactics to suit the players, or will he get players in to suit his system?

39 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I didn't say I wanted his head. I was commenting on his performance as a manger of DCFC - comprehend-ay?!

If you think that a couple of Dutch titles makes Cocu a better manager than Mac you need to think again. And just so you realise Lampard, Rowett, Mac, Clement all failed to get us promoted. But at least Mac 1 got us to be admired playing great footbal, do you see Cocu doing that?!

Cocu in his shorter career has already more pots than McClaren. Fact. McClaren was a lucky recipient of a very settled Derby squad & setup, Cocu has walked into an absolute mess & it's got substantially worse since.

And you need to realise the state of McClaren's team at the end of his second spell was every bit as grim as what's been served up at the moment. 

Will he turn it around? Not a bloody clue but I'll be absolute irate if we bin yet another manager with a decent track record. 

12 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

My opinion is Cocu isn't doing himself any favours. Don't think Mel is in a hurry to sack him but seriously the cunning plan is currently well hidden!

I agree. Why play someone clearly out of form in Dowell. If you are going to play a loanee then surely play the only one who actually shows some passion and aggression, which is what we sadly lack, ie Paterson. I really dont think he knows what he is doing. Stumbles across a good performance but doesn’t build on it. 

3 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Cocu in his shorter career has already more pots than McClaren. Fact. McClaren was a lucky recipient of a very settled Derby squad & setup, Cocu has walked into an absolute mess & it's got substantially worse since.

And you need to realise the state of McClaren's team at the end of his second spell was every bit as grim as what's been served up at the moment. 

Will he turn it around? Not a bloody clue but I'll be absolute irate if we bin yet another manager with a decent track record. 

The problem is he cannot live on his past glory in a 'two team' league.  He was terrible in Turkey and our situation is much more like the situation in Turkey than Holland.  He does not know the championship.  

We are nearly half way through the season and we are no nearer to understanding his preferred system or starting line up (regardless of injuries).  Even leaving aside injuries, he has changed the keeper, he has changed the left back, he has changed the striker position. He then rotates between Dowell, Jozefzoon, Paterson and Bennett when all of them are average at best. He now decides to tinker with the right back position.  He needs to realise with Forsyth, Davies, Malone and Wisdom, we cannot hold the ball or bass through around the back.  Sadly, we need to be more direct if he wants to keep that defence. 

We desperately need steel and energy in midfield.  Dowell brings neither.  Sibley and Knight (in the mold of Wilson and Mount - not comparing but they have the energy) should be given a run in the side with Bielek.  The 'diamond' seems to work our players (Bielek holding and Lawrence behind the strikers). He can then play Martin and Marriott up front.

5 minutes ago, King Kevin said:

If I can't sleep a cup of horlicks and a post match Cocu interview and I'm nodding off  in no time.

Agreed and the most worrying sign yesterday was that he was actually watching a different game to me!  Never felt that under Lampard with his interviews.

23 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

The players aren’t clever enough to play the way Cocu wants us to play. We saw the same under Lampard last year in the first few games, where the midfield was supposed to be a lot more flexible leading to players out of position and our defence exposed. Lampard adjusted his tactics to suit the intelligence levels of the players and results quickly improved. 
Will Cocu simplify his tactics to suit the players, or will he get players in to suit his system?

Whilst I think you're right, the best teams for me are those who play by instinct - that's when the system flows. 

The manager is paid to do the thinking for the team so that the players don't have to. 

30 minutes ago, GrimsbyRam said:

The problem is he cannot live on his past glory in a 'two team' league.  He was terrible in Turkey and our situation is much more like the situation in Turkey than Holland.  He does not know the championship.  

We are nearly half way through the season and we are no nearer to understanding his preferred system or starting line up (regardless of injuries).  Even leaving aside injuries, he has changed the keeper, he has changed the left back, he has changed the striker position. He then rotates between Dowell, Jozefzoon, Paterson and Bennett when all of them are average at best. He now decides to tinker with the right back position.  He needs to realise with Forsyth, Davies, Malone and Wisdom, we cannot hold the ball or bass through around the back.  Sadly, we need to be more direct if he wants to keep that defence. 

We desperately need steel and energy in midfield.  Dowell brings neither.  Sibley and Knight (in the mold of Wilson and Mount - not comparing but they have the energy) should be given a run in the side with Bielek.  The 'diamond' seems to work our players (Bielek holding and Lawrence behind the strikers). He can then play Martin and Marriott up front.

We did exactly that didn’t we against boro at home and forest away 

got the best out of Lawrence and we actually had a threat with Martin and Marriott without being at their sharpest causing problems 

he then totally ditches it opting to bench the front two going back to an isolated lone striker and shoves Lawrence out wide again where he can be at his ineffective and erratic best 

Genius 

8 minutes ago, NottsRam77 said:

We did exactly that didn’t we against boro at home and forest away 

got the best out of Lawrence and we actually had a threat with Martin and Marriott without being at their sharpest causing problems 

he then totally ditches it opting to bench the front two going back to an isolated lone striker and shoves Lawrence out wide again where he can be at his ineffective and erratic best 

Genius 

He even mentioned the Forest performance in his interview.. why oh why we abonded it I have no idea.

Arghhhh.

8 hours ago, Theres’s Only Wan Chope said:

Bogle looks like an attacking threat, always thought he’s better attacking than defending. 

He looks like an attacking threat when he’s starting from deep. That doesn’t mean he’s a right winger. Stick h8m up there and you negate his attacking qualities because he has more defensive attention on him. He’s a right back, simple as. Don’t get the myth that he’s a poor defender either, he’s makes the odd mistake, but he’s generally more than competent and as good defensively as any of our other full backs.

6 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

He looks like an attacking threat when he’s starting from deep. That doesn’t mean he’s a right winger. Stick h8m up there and you negate his attacking qualities because he has more defensive attention on him. He’s a right back, simple as. Don’t get the myth that he’s a poor defender either, he’s makes the odd mistake, but he’s generally more than competent and as good defensively as any of our other full backs.

His end product currently is simply woeful too 

Just now, NottsRam77 said:

His end product currently is simply woeful too 

It is when he’s starting further up the pitch, as he has no options. From right back last season his end product was excellent and he was our highest assisting player. That seems to have totally gone this year. Two reasons for that imo, the lack of movement from the team, and rank poor coaching. Everyone seems to have been affected by the latter.

9 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Completely agree mate, cocu is destroying this team as it is. After Preston I thought we had something good going, why throw it all in the bin? Just play the diamond, put Bogle back at RB, Malone or Lowe at LB, Bielik holding, two midfielders of Holmes and someone else, Lawrence in no 10 and Marriott Martin up top. It works and actually suits the players we have!

3 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

Completely agree mate, cocu is destroying this team as it is. After Preston I thought we had something good going, why throw it all in the bin? Just play the diamond, put Bogle back at RB, Malone or Lowe at LB, Bielik holding, two midfielders of Holmes and someone else, Lawrence in no 10 and Marriott Martin up top. It works and actually suits the players we have!

That’s what I’d sum the last two games up as well. We’ve looked totally and utterly clueless. The sign of a manager who’s out of ideas for me, and needs to go. Simple as that, it’s only gonna go downhill from here. Personally I’d rather just see us go back to basics with a proper 433 with attacking midfielders, but I’d take anything with some bloody forwards at the moment!

1 minute ago, Millenniumram said:

The sign of a manager who’s out of ideas for me, and needs to go.

Well if he doesn't go back to what works like I've suggested, I can see us losing these next two home games and then we'll be in trouble. If we are in any danger of going to League one, then he absolutely needs to be sacked. It cannot happen 

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

Can you explain what he is trying to do?

If he needs new players to make his system work does this indicate hes not a very good coach? Cant teach players how to adapt to his system?

I dont even know what his system is to be honest, other than negative possession football.

If we need a whole new team of players next season is that going to be another transition season?

After a nights sleep and sobering up, I cannot answer you question. I actually have no clue what he is trying to do other that bore the opposition into submission

1 minute ago, Rammy03 said:

Well if he doesn't go back to what works like I've suggested, I can see us losing these next two home games and then we'll be in trouble. If we are in any danger of going to League one, then he absolutely needs to be sacked. It cannot happen 

We’ll see if he changes his ways this week, let’s hope so. The tactics shown this week have me firmly Cocu out though at the moment. Indefensible.

Archived