Kelle Roos

Bob The Badger

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just catching up on reading recent match day programmes and the interview with Roos from the recent Preston one caught my eye.

There is a section on the work he does with Shay Given. Roos says they look at a lot of video clips. SG asks what KR thinks of certain saves or goals and they analyse them in the clips and both give their opinions. This sounds a lot like an adult education technique of giving feedback in that the learner gives their appraisal of their own performance first, then the person giving feedback does, but from KR's response I'm not sure how much of what SG says he takes in...

'We look at a lot of video clips and we talk through them to see where I can improve. Sometimes we agree, sometimes we don't, but at the same time that's where you get development and it's healthy to have different opinions'.

'You can watch a lot of video clips and analyse them but sometimes that's not the reality of what actually happens, as we all know.'

'We can talk about where I should be and body shape, but it's easy to say when everything is in slow motion and Shay is aware of that too'.

'There could be situations where you do everything right in reacting to the ball but there are other players moving, for example, so it can obscure your view'.

I imagined feedback in football training may be more direct than this ie 'Come out and catch the ball' rather than 'How do you think you could have done this differently?'. It may explain the apparent lack of progress or change seen on the pitch this season if players aren't taking on coaching advice and seem to be making a lot of excuses as KR is doing rather than changing behaviour.

• 3 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, Carnero said:

With 2 points garnered from the 6 games since Kelle Roos was dropped, is it now safe to conclude that Kelle Roos was not the major problem with this team?

But but but.... I thought it was only his fault that we were conceding goals because the defence couldn’t trust him. Bet we’re not having 3-0 defeats anymore.... oh... wait.

Think it’s fair to say we could improve on Roos, and probably need to in order to challenge for promotion in a couple of years time. But right now, he’s far from the biggest problem, and he’s not the reason why we’re in such horrendous form. Hamer is no better imo, and I actually think we’ve lost something in terms of distribution from the back since we put him in, Hamer isn’t anywhere near as good on the ball.

28 minutes ago, Carnero said:

With 2 points garnered from the 6 games since Kelle Roos was dropped, is it now safe to conclude that Kelle Roos was not the major problem with this team?

He's a very average keeper. The defence look calmer with Hamer in goal, who looks fairly solid. 

Goalkeepers are generally only as good as their defenders. See Butland at Stoke.

Roos and Hamer are not the best though I will admit. We have had better keepers in the past and let them go. See Grant and Carson.

I would love a quality keeper like Begovic or Hart. Cant see them wanting to come here though to get pelted every week. The defense is the problem as I think the goals will come.

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

How is the defence to blame for Roos being unable to claim the ball in the air or command his box or sometimes get his positioning right?

I never said he was a good keeper and is huge liability in the air. But our defending this season has left the keepers totally exposed. 

Keepers are the the line of defense yet have been called upon a lot.

Either way we need a new keeper in Jan.

3 minutes ago, kingsy1884 said:

I never said he was a good keeper and is huge liability in the air. But our defending this season has left the keepers totally exposed. 

Keepers are the the line of defense yet have been called upon a lot.

Either way we need a new keeper in Jan.

TBH as much as I don't rate Roos and Hamer is okay if we have limited budget I'd rather it went on midfield and a winger or two.

6 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

Central defender?

Oh crap I was thinking about creating chances. Errr probably, but if Clarke is fit then I'd settle for Wizzy & Fozzy as back up (Fozzy could do with a rest really, he's been asked to play too much post injury return). 

How many goals have we conceded from corners & crosses since Hamer came in? Answer is 0 unless you class Readings 2nd goal as a cross.

I dont think Hamer is amazing but he is better than Roos and hasnt actually put a foot wrong?

QPR - 1 goal - penalty

Blackburn - 1 goal - screamer

Sheff W - 1 goal - brilliant finish, not much he could do

Millwall - 1 goal - see Sheff W 

Reading - 3 goals - 2 pens + a free shot from 6yards he could do nothing about

To clarify I'm no great fan of Kelle Roos either as I want my keeper to be able to command his penalty area.

Both he and Ben Hamer are pretty average championship keepers, reasonable enough no.2 options.

However, Roos was receiving most of the flak for the general failings of our team and that was unfair, as has been proved by our form in the 6 games since the booboys got their wish and he was dropped.

On 04/12/2019 at 12:21, WestKentRam said:

I imagined feedback in football training may be more direct than this ie 'Come out and catch the ball' rather than 'How do you think you could have done this differently?'

I’ve often been called one of the greatest coaches in the game based on these four principles:

1) catch it

2) head it

3) Kick it

4) do a goal

Archived