Kelle Roos

Bob The Badger

He’s a major problem who is going to cost us games.

The defence has played terrible when it comes to defending set pieces, but I’m starting to wonder if they have half an eye on the ball and half an eye on Flapper behind them.

His valiant double attempt at the end of the first half to drag Preston back into a game that should have been out of sight was like watching a blind man on acid trying  to herd blind cats on acid….on ice.

I’ve not been confident in the guy from the get-go, but that lack of confidence is now serious concern.

I’m sure the transfer window opens at midnight GMT on January 1st, but just in case, if I was Cocu I’d be buying a ticket to New Zealand for 31st December so I can hit the transfer window early.

Or we could just call Carson back. because a bad Carson is better than this.

Today (v Preston) was watershed time for 2 players.

1. Roos:Poor mishandling towards the end of the first half followed then by a shockingly bad decision to come out for a ball that he couldn't have reached. Needs replacing before he costs us in more games.

2. Waghorn: missed 3 very scoreable chances. All on his best foot. We need better. Let him go if we can get anything for him. Marriott is a better option or replace Waghorn from the 23s or outside the club.

23 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

He’s a major problem who is going to cost us games.

The defence has played terrible when it comes to defending set pieces, but I’m starting to wonder if they have half an eye on the ball and half an eye on Flapper behind them.

This.

He doesn't give the defence the confidence a keeper should give. He doesn't command his area. 

8 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

This.

He doesn't give the defence the confidence a keeper should give. He doesn't command his area. 

I’d prefer not to knock a player when we have won and kept a clean sheet but that’s about it, if you add on he seldom catches a ball.

Just don’t get he struggles with catching any sort of reasonable cross or high ball, one of the most fundamental aspects of being a goalkeeper; it’s quite bizarre and must have unnerved our defence at times in multiple games.

Nice lad, great shot stopper but I’m sad to say he simply fails time and again at coming out for crosses be it corners, set pieces or simple balls into the box.

We do need better, but I’d wait until the summer and get a decent keeper in as Ramarena says.

Edited by Zag zig

Very harsh assessment there. There were a couple of dodgy moments today from Roos for sure (the end of that first half was dreadful goalkeeping, and there were a couple of other flappy moments as well)- but on the whole I actually thought he had a decent game. Didn’t have a great deal of saves to make, but he started a few attacks off with some good distribution, which is something that’s very important in a modern goalkeeper.

I must admit when he first came into the side I had my doubts, but I think I was being overly critical- you have to look at him in context to other goalies in the division. If you do that, you actually realise he’s a good player. Think people have to realise that you’re not gonna get a goalie who’s all round game is perfect in this league- Roos obviously has poor command of his box, we all know that, but you get a goalie who’s good at that, and the chances are he’s no good at passing. All a bit of a balancing act. Carson for example, he’s much better on crosses, but no good on the ball. Another good goalie at this level, but no improvement on Roos overall imo. Recalling him wouldn’t improve matters.

In fairness, I’m sure with some quality scouting (something we don’t have) that we could find a better player than Roos. He’s not a top player at this level. But he’s not the biggest weakness in the team imo, and improving on him isn’t a priority. A Keogh replacement is.

9 minutes ago, Zag zig said:

I’d prefer not to knock a player when we have won and kept a clean sheet but that’s about it, if you add on he seldom catches a ball.

Nice lad, great shot stopper but I’m sad to say he simply fails time and again at coming out for crosses be it corners, set pieces or simple balls into the box.

We do need better, but I’d wait until the summer and get a decent keeper in as Ramarena says.

It isn't just about coming out for the ball. I feel that might be down to being a bit of a physical coward, he doesn't deal well with contact it seems. It's about the rest of the stuff a keeper brings to the team/defence. Roos doesn't do much bar being a shot-stopper who passes the ball about a bit. That's not my idea of a good keeper, others disagree.

Edited by RoyMac5

7 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Very harsh assessment there. There were a couple of dodgy moments today from Roos for sure (the end of that first half was dreadful goalkeeping, and there were a couple of other flappy moments as well)- but on the whole I actually thought he had a decent game. Didn’t have a great deal of saves to make, but he started a few attacks off with some good distribution, which is something that’s very important in a modern goalkeeper.

I must admit when he first came into the side I had my doubts, but I think I was being overly critical- you have to look at him in context to other goalies in the division. If you do that, you actually realise he’s a good player. Think people have to realise that you’re not gonna get a goalie who’s all round game is perfect in this league- Roos obviously has poor command of his box, we all know that, but you get a goalie who’s good at that, and the chances are he’s no good at passing. All a bit of a balancing act. Carson for example, he’s much better on crosses, but no good on the ball. Another good goalie at this level, but no improvement on Roos overall imo. Recalling him wouldn’t improve matters.

In fairness, I’m sure with some quality scouting (something we don’t have) that we could find a better player than Roos. He’s not a top player at this level. But he’s not the biggest weakness in the team imo, and improving on him isn’t a priority. A Keogh replacement is.

A number of points.

1. He had zero saves to make. If we are marking a keeper up as having a good game because he hit a couple of nice passes, then we really are in trouble

2. 'Modern football' or not, Cloughie would be turning in his grave at comparing a keepers ability to play the ball out to actually stopping the other team scoring.

Being able to play the ball out is a bonus.

It's like a brilliant wicketkeeper who can bat really well or a fly half who can kick - only nothing like as important.

So to me, it's not really a balancing act, you get the guy who can do the  job description first. 

3. That performance today when it comes to actually keeping goal wasn't good or even mediocre at any professional level, it was utterly abject.

The only reason they didn't score was because the only time they hit the target a guy was stood offside. 

Roos gets far too much stick, he doesn't get the same level of protection as other keepers. The first fumble at the end of the first half was due to being fouled. 

@Bob The Badger some of your posts are just hyperbolic nonsense about Roos.

The people who ironically cheered when he caught the ball from Bogle are just numpties. 

4 minutes ago, rynny said:

Roos gets far too much stick, he doesn't get the same level of protection as other keepers. The first fumble at the end of the first half was due to being fouled. 

@Bob The Badger some of your posts are just hyperbolic nonsense about Roos.

The people who ironically cheered when he caught the ball from Bogle are just numpties. 

Brinks-Mat couldn't protect Roos.

How's that for hyperbole for ya?

12 minutes ago, rynny said:

Carson was just as bad at crosses as Roos. He never came for them, he just got less stick cos he was Carson.

No one would be saying anything about the keepers' performance today if it had been Carson in goal. 

I don’t think he was quite as flappy as Roos in fairness, but you’re right it wasn’t one of his greatest strengths. Think his decision making was a bit clearly which is maybe why some had more confidence in him, Roos is often a bit indecisive about whether to come for a ball or not. But yeah, I really don’t think it was a poor goalkeeping performance as a whole out there.

19 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

A number of points.

1. He had zero saves to make. If we are marking a keeper up as having a good game because he hit a couple of nice passes, then we really are in trouble

2. 'Modern football' or not, Cloughie would be turning in his grave at comparing a keepers ability to play the ball out to actually stopping the other team scoring.

Being able to play the ball out is a bonus.

It's like a brilliant wicketkeeper who can bat really well or a fly half who can kick - only nothing like as important.

So to me, it's not really a balancing act, you get the guy who can do the  job description first. 

3. That performance today when it comes to actually keeping goal wasn't good or even mediocre at any professional level, it was utterly abject.

The only reason they didn't score was because the only time they hit the target a guy was stood offside. 

Then I don’t think you understand the modern game at all. You watch City, Liverpool play - the best teams in the country - and they put a huge amount of emphasis in their play in goalkeepers starting attacks. It’s why They both spent so much on their goalkeepers, and it’s why both improved immeasurably in the seasons after they did so. You want to play a Neil Warnock style of football? Then sure, just get an old fashioned stopper keeper and you’ll be fine. But if you want to play the style of football that I see most on here wanting us to play, then it’s simply not gonna work if you have a goalie who can’t pass. We saw it last season with Carson, which is exactly why he was dropped in the first place. Kept gifting possession away, and you’ve got no hope of building an attack if it breaks down at the first pass from a goalkick! 

Like it or not, nowadays being able to pass a ball is a very important part of the “job description” of a goalkeeper, and is far, far more important than you’re giving it credit for. You still need to be able to do the basics of course, and Roos is far from perfect, but he’s a decent shot stopper and is decent on the ball- both of which are elements of a good goalkeeper. Utterly abject is absolute nonsense when talking about a bloke who kept a clean sheet, he had a couple of dodgy moments yes, but there’s been far far far worse goalkeeping performances that I’ve seen, from Derby Goalies, Opposition Goalies, and Roos himself.