Minutes Silence.

1of4

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
51 minutes ago, David said:

Must be West Upper, I’ve sat in the West Lower a couple of times and wasn’t that bad at all, nothing on the South Stand

You’d be right on the west upper bit- though I can imagine it’s a stadium wide problem. Always find it ironic when the bloke behind me shouts for Roos to play it long, before berating him for not taking the easy pass...

6 hours ago, GadFly said:

Are there strict rules around how one is supposed to “remember”?

I know what you're saying, and in truth, we all have our own way of showing remembrance, and it really shouldn't matter how we show it.
But surely, for large numbers and/or something "official", it's good to have order and a semblance of unity?  We owe them that, at least?

Maybe any PA announcement would have been better served immediately before the on-screen poem, or Last Post, so more of us knew what was planned/expected?

I'll be at The NMA next Sunday, as per the previous 3 years, and you can bet your life at least one 'phone will start ringing during the silence.  It happens... as it did even at Mening Gate when we paid our first visit earlier this year!  Of all places, and of all traditions!
  I prefer to ignore it, and continue showing the respect I go there to show.  Other's may moan, tut... or even shout "Shhh"!  Yes, really!  Each to their own, I guess!

At home at 11 on the 11th?  Or in the food aisle at M&S?  Of course such rules and regulations matter less, and we can all do our own thing, but in a large gathering, with a specific purpose in mind, I prefer a little organisation and planning.  If that means "rules", then I'm all for it.

LWF
xxx

I thought the poem was a nice touch. 

I was mildly bewildered by the random timing of events but was able to transfer my thoughts to those who have represented us. 

The cheers and applause immediately after the last post seemed somehow appropriate. 

9 hours ago, dcfc4ever said:

Not saying fans to blame...just very sad a lot don’t know how remembrance works

It has changed a lot in football over the past twenty years so it's not a surprise that a lot of us didn't understand it. It used to be a minute's silence prior to Remembrance Sunday if you were at home and not a full week before. If you weren't at home that week there wasn't a minute's silence. I don't recall the Last Post being played either until the last couple of years. All of this is fine but it shows that the norms of remembrance change over time. If it didn't quite work then a brief announcement beforehand of what is expected will sort it.

Remembrance day is the 11/11 at 11:00. Britain should come to a halt then. 

Football is virtue signalling by these half assed silences and doesn't do it very well. Bit like all these celebs wearing tiny but glittery poppies, that they wheel out every year. What's wrong with paper ones that the rest of us wear with pride.

For me its all got a bit mawkish. We have silences or claps (during games) for all sorts of things these days and most of the crowd have no idea why. 

On 03/11/2019 at 12:00, FindernRam said:

Football is virtue signalling by these half assed silences and doesn't do it very well. Bit like all these celebs wearing tiny but glittery poppies, that they wheel out every year. What's wrong with paper ones that the rest of us wear with pride.

For me its all got a bit mawkish. We have silences or claps (during games) for all sorts of things these days and most of the crowd have no idea why. 

The paper ones have a chunk of green plastic,  about time they found something better

On 03/11/2019 at 11:00, FindernRam said:

Remembrance as a whole is getting a bit weird. 

The poppy is becoming more and more fetishised in ways not too dissimilar to Republicans and the American flag. 

Arsenal had a poppy cake on Saturday not nobody dared cut into for an hour and even then the marzipan poppies remained unbeaten. 

Then you have the poppy mascots…

C2C01613-B919-48ED-8F45-D4EEBA78DBB8.jpeg

44F1C847-4E74-4531-9C76-DAE8886651D2.jpeg

I'm old enough to remember my dad pulling the car over to the side of the road in Derby at 11.00am on November 11th, along with everyone else and shops and streets coming to a halt; I can also remember the 60's and early 70's when the national interest in remembering the fallen steadily declined so much so that the Royal British Legion almost went 'out of business' such was the decreasing amount of interest. It was the Falklands war in the early 80's with the backdrop of the fighting and bombing in Ireland that really changed the national mood regarding the remembering of the dead from warfare.

We've now steadily gone to the other extreme so that those of us who go on Saturday will be 'remembering' again.  From a football perspective, why can't we remember on the Friday/Saturday/Sunday around Remembrance Sunday, whether we're home or away, rather than twice? And a minutes 'silence/remembrance' filled by the Last Post and/or a poem seems to me to be a perfectly good and respectful way of remembering those who have died in wars and conflicts, especially when there are lots of opportunities to go to churches/parades on the Sunday before Armistice Day should anyone wish to do so.

5 hours ago, ilkleyram said:

I'm old enough to remember my dad pulling the car over to the side of the road in Derby at 11.00am on November 11th, along with everyone else and shops and streets coming to a halt; I can also remember the 60's and early 70's when the national interest in remembering the fallen steadily declined so much so that the Royal British Legion almost went 'out of business' such was the decreasing amount of interest. It was the Falklands war in the early 80's with the backdrop of the fighting and bombing in Ireland that really changed the national mood regarding the remembering of the dead from warfare.

We've now steadily gone to the other extreme so that those of us who go on Saturday will be 'remembering' again.  From a football perspective, why can't we remember on the Friday/Saturday/Sunday around Remembrance Sunday, whether we're home or away, rather than twice? And a minutes 'silence/remembrance' filled by the Last Post and/or a poem seems to me to be a perfectly good and respectful way of remembering those who have died in wars and conflicts, especially when there are lots of opportunities to go to churches/parades on the Sunday before Armistice Day should anyone wish to do so.

Is two minutes asking too much?

7 hours ago, RamNut said:

Is two minutes asking too much?

Oh come on @RamNut, you're an intelligent guy and you know full well that's a daft question. Is four minutes too much considering the sacrifice? Or 5? Where do you stop?

The two minute silence was originally a South African invention in the immediate aftermath of WW1 and occurred every single day, starting at noon, for a year. Parts of Cape Town ground to a complete halt. Perhaps we should do that?  It was later taken up by the King across the then Empire shortly before the first Armistice Day and altered to 11am on the 11th day of the 11th month and even that was a slightly artificial time and date - the peace Treaty of Versailles wasn't actually agreed and signed until 1919 and WW1 hostilities continued after 11am in 1918 in some areas.

By November 12th I could have stood in silence remembering those that fought and the fallen for some 7 minutes - one (roughly) at Derby, two at Notts (if they do that), two on Sunday and another two on Monday.  Is that enough for you?

Football has, in my view, leapt onto a bandwagon as it so often does. And the danger is that we lose sight of the whole point of Remembrance by overdoing it. It becomes less special, less memorable.  Why do the FA/EFL insist on silence at the nearest home match for every club (in Derby's case, and many others, a full nine days before Armistice Day)? I dare say most on here won't celebrate Christmas on December 16th.   What would football do if it just happened to fall during an International break? 

What exactly would be wrong in remembering on Remembrance Day weekend itself, only, home or away? 

8 minutes ago, ilkleyram said:

Oh come on @RamNut, you're an intelligent guy and you know full well that's a daft question. Is four minutes too much considering the sacrifice? Or 5? Where do you stop?

The two minute silence was originally a South African invention in the immediate aftermath of WW1 and occurred every single day, starting at noon, for a year. Parts of Cape Town ground to a complete halt. Perhaps we should do that?  It was later taken up by the King across the then Empire shortly before the first Armistice Day and altered to 11am on the 11th day of the 11th month and even that was a slightly artificial time and date - the peace Treaty of Versailles wasn't actually agreed and signed until 1919 and WW1 hostilities continued after 11am in 1918 in some areas.

By November 12th I could have stood in silence remembering those that fought and the fallen for some 7 minutes - one (roughly) at Derby, two at Notts (if they do that), two on Sunday and another two on Monday.  Is that enough for you?

Football has, in my view, leapt onto a bandwagon as it so often does. And the danger is that we lose sight of the whole point of Remembrance by overdoing it. It becomes less special, less memorable.  Why do the FA/EFL insist on silence at the nearest home match for every club (in Derby's case, and many others, a full nine days before Armistice Day)? I dare say most on here won't celebrate Christmas on December 16th.   What would football do if it just happened to fall during an International break? 

What exactly would be wrong in remembering on Remembrance Day weekend itself, only, home or away? 

spot on.  I don't think it was necessary the FA jumping on the band wagon more a fear of being condemned for not explicitly supporting it.

14 hours ago, ilkleyram said:

Rather than it been down to any huge cultural shifts, it's probably that the British Legion got some people involved who are good at marketing and PR.

Archived