Minutes Silence.

1of4

What on earth were the club trying to do on the pitch before kick-off today?  They had announced that a minutes silence would begin when the referee blew his whistle. 

The players along with the officials and three veterans, who had previously carried out a wreath on to the pitch, stood around the centre circle. The last post was played and then the ref blew his whistle, as a signal to start the minutes silence. But instead of observing the minutes silence, the players moved away from the centre circle  ready to start the game. The ref looked confused, so blew his whistle for a second time. So no minutes silence. 

Whoever was supposed to be in charge of what was happening on the pitch before the game, utterly failed in doing their job.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The trumpet player who went for about one minute was impeccably served. Think there was confusion from everyone then as both teams moved away from the circle and crowd applauded. So to most, that was the one minute.

I suspect there was supposed to be silence after it but ref did well to react to the players moving/crowd making noise.

No need for both the trumpet and one minute. The trumpet is a fine tribute.

The ref blew his whistle at the start of a tribute on the big screen, with a poem read out by players and various other club people. It was mainly drowned out by Middlesbrough fans singing. Don't think it was their fault as it was far from clear what was happening. 

He then moved across the circle and the trumpet player started so when that finished I think we all thought that was the minute over. 

I think we needed a rehearsal! 

2 hours ago, rammieib said:

The trumpet player who went for about one minute was impeccably served. Think there was confusion from everyone then as both teams moved away from the circle and crowd applauded. So to most, that was the one minute.

I suspect there was supposed to be silence after it but ref did well to react to the players moving/crowd making noise.

No need for both the trumpet and one minute. The trumpet is a fine tribute.

The trumpet as you call it is called the last post...this should be followed by 1-2 minutes silence

Shame this wasn’t observed....and shame quite a few people did not know this

3 minutes ago, dcfc4ever said:

The trumpet as you call it is called the last post...this should be followed by 1-2 minutes silence

Shame this wasn’t observed....and shame quite a few people did not know this

To be fair, I would say very very few people were aware, myself included if this was supposed to happen and it wasn't communicated clearly. So I dont think fans were anywhere to blame here.

1 minute ago, rammieib said:

To be fair, I would say very very few people were aware, myself included if this was supposed to happen and it wasn't communicated clearly. So I dont think fans were anywhere to blame here.

Not saying fans to blame...just very sad a lot don’t know how remembrance works

I get in pretty much last minute, so no idea what "instructions" were given beforehand, over the PA.

Quite by chance, I looked up at the screen as the poem started, so was aware before much of the crowd caught on, and slowly but surely quietened down.  Then the Last Post... which was acknowledged impeccably by the crowd... but it was then I expected a minutes true silence, (as is usually tradition, as far as I'm aware?) only to be met with applause, and the players dispersing.  That did surprise me, although I considered the combined Last Post and the silence of the crowd "respectful enough", so no complaints from me.

I do agree though... a minutes silence immediately after The Last Post seems to be the norm.

19 minutes ago, David said:

Suddenly it all makes sense.

I’m actually a preacher of support for the team up there, as hard to believe as that is! My moaning pales in comparison to those who shout “FFS GERRIT FORWARD” every time Davies elects to pass to the fullback instead of try the Pirlo long ball to the 5ft duck all Jack Marriott!

11 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

I’m actually a preacher of support for the team up there, as hard to believe as that is! My moaning pales in comparison to those who shout “FFS GERRIT FORWARD” every time Davies elects to pass to the fullback instead of try the Pirlo long ball to the 5ft duck all Jack Marriott!

Must be West Upper, I’ve sat in the West Lower a couple of times and wasn’t that bad at all, nothing on the South Stand

Archived