Keogh Sacked

Nuwtfly

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, AdamRam said:

I wonder if we have found another FFP loophole, obviously we now save the wages and could it be that any payout in court would come out a separate pot ?

Just speculation as I don’t know enough about FFP.

I think we have. By sacking him we may also have refused to pay the bar bill for that night in the joiners which was submitted as expenses by Keogh.

Quids in. Maybe. 

1 minute ago, Sparkle said:

You can actually offer them a lower role as part of an disciplinary hearing which potentially is the case here which seems to have been turned down.

Precisely but that would have to be proved to be justified due to not performing in their current role to warrant this sanction. The crux of the argument here is Keogh would not effectively be available for work as he was injured or frustration of contract.

2 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

Not necessarily. We don't actually know the Specifics of why he was sacked. But his position as Captain gives him a duty of care over the other players and a position as a role model. 

If he was for instance to be sacked for failing to fulfill that duty, then thats very different scanario to the others. 

Do you think he signed an addendum to his contract once he became Captain?

Is that a standard thing, even if you're wearing a piece of cloth temporarily?

2 minutes ago, Norman said:

I assume he has a few reasons. We don't know the full facts from that night.

Maybe he is about to sue Lawrence for 3 or 4 years of lost wages if his injury is severe.

He'd probably have a good shot at that if he wore his seatbelt.

Another potential side to this, is that its possible (perhaps likely) there's discord among the squad as a result of this, and Keogh has been acting out.

Lots of people quoting "Gross misconduct".  Lots of people quoting "Should treat them all the same".

Maybe... The gross misconduct doesn't relate to getting pissed.
Maybe... The gross misconduct doesn't relate to being involved in an RTA.
Maybe... The gross misconduct doesn't relate to any laws broken and/or bringing the club into disrepute.

Maybe... The gross misconduct relates to turning up for work covered in stitches, bandages and teetering on crutches, unable to do a day's work for the next 15 months?

If it's the latter, then only one player is affected.

#dontaskme!

Ok is it’s easy for us all to be moral about this....but as several of you have said above, the other two were the ones that broke the law.  In some respects you could argue the club should be supporting Keogh.  Just imagine he was sober and it had happened.

Derby not coming out of this situation very well at all.  They’ve handled it very poorly imho.

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

Just the one I quoted from The Telegraph

"Derby's statement read: "Derby County Football Club has completed the disciplinary hearing regarding Richard Keogh in respect of his involvement in the events of Tuesday, September 24th.

"As a result of that process, Mr Keogh has had his contract terminated with immediate effect for gross misconduct. He has the right of appeal within 14 days.

"As we have said from the outset, the Club will not tolerate any of its players or staff behaving in a manner which puts themselves, their colleagues, and members of the general public at risk of injury or worse, or which brings the club into disrepute.

"The club will be making no further comment at this time regards this matter, until the conclusion of any potential appeal."

5 minutes after you said we needed a culture change Keogh was sacked?

2 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Did they commit equal acts, legally I mean?

All of the people involved and 100% responsible for themselves, but only one of them caused tangible consequence to themselves + the club, in a footballing context.

They weren't dealt with equally which is a compelling legal argument. All 3 performed acts of gross misconduct and also brought into disrepute the name of the club which again is gross misconduct.

1 minute ago, SaintRam said:

He'd probably have a good shot at that if he wore his seatbelt.

Another potential side to this, is that its possible (perhaps likely) there's discord among the squad as a result of this, and Keogh has been acting out.

Small point but it’s the responsibility of the driver to ensure everybody is wearing a seat belt ( if that rumour is correct)

2 minutes ago, Bristol City said:

Ok is it’s easy for us all to be moral about this....but as several of you have said above, the other two were the ones that broke the law.  In some respects you could argue the club should be supporting Keogh.  Just imagine he was sober and it had happened.

Derby not coming out of this situation very well at all.  They’ve handled it very poorly imho.

yeah theyve handled it awfully

Someone has just made a good interesting point.

What if this is Mel pulling off yet another blinder, he publicly offers Keogh a reduced wage or he is sacked, Keogh refuses, we sack him saving the club 25k a week in FFP terms, Mel then pays Keogh X amount out of his own pocket as a decent severance pay and everyone is happy.

31 minutes ago, PodgeyRam said:

That statement makes it sound like it was a question of ethics when deciding to sack him. 

In which case why are Bennett and Lawrence still at the club?

Because "we will not tolerate" doesn't mean "we will immediately sack"

The club haven't tolerated Lawrence & Bennett's actions, they've fined them 8 weeks wages. Whether you think that's sufficient or not is immaterial, their behaviour hasn't been tolerated.

You've got to forget about Lawrence & Bennett's situation when assessing Keogh's. Each case it different.

The first thought wasn't to sack any of the three - Keogh has been offered the chance to stay at the club, who'll pay for his rehabilitation and give him a wage while he recovers from his injury. If he was being offered an absolute pittance then I can understand him rejecting the offer, but ultimately he and he alone is responsible for his current situation, no matter who'd car he was in, no matter who was driving, he is responsible for his own actions and the outcome of them.

I strongly doubt the offer we made would have been leaving him to hang out and dry financially, but I don't know that. What I do know is that his decision not to take it up ensures exactly that, not just financially but in terms of getting the support needed during his rehab, and I think it's a very stupid one to have made.

Would any of the people outraged by the decision to sack him really be happy if we were continuing to pay him 25k a week in wages for 18 months when it's his own fault he's unavailable?

Reading some of these replies is hilarious. Most of you all would cry for a refund for your £30 away ticket if we performed badly, but expect Mel Morris to fork out £2m to a guy who effectively stuck his middle finger up at every single one of you by:

1 - Getting himself involved in such activities as club captain.

2 - Wanting to leach your money sat in the physio room.

This guy is an absolute clown. Good riddance to him! duck off and don't ever come back.

9 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Just the one I quoted from The Telegraph

"Derby's statement read: "Derby County Football Club has completed the disciplinary hearing regarding Richard Keogh in respect of his involvement in the events of Tuesday, September 24th.

"As a result of that process, Mr Keogh has had his contract terminated with immediate effect for gross misconduct. He has the right of appeal within 14 days.

"As we have said from the outset, the Club will not tolerate any of its players or staff behaving in a manner which puts themselves, their colleagues, and members of the general public at risk of injury or worse, or which brings the club into disrepute.

"The club will be making no further comment at this time regards this matter, until the conclusion of any potential appeal."

Still no statement on the website as far as I can see

3 minutes ago, Bristol City said:

We simply don’t know all the information - but it’s very very messy 

Archived