Hull City (A) Match Thread

Ghost of Clough

1 minute ago, Paul71 said:

A few calling for Cocu to go. The number of managers we have had is exactly the reason we are were we are. 

But yes let's sack another and take more steps backwards.

The last time the playing staff really progressed was under clough. Why?  because he had a few years.

You may have a point but you could gamble on keeping someone who ultimately fails. Blind Retention is no guarantee of success.  Choosing the right guy and sticking with it is best but without hindsight how do you know the right horse to back

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

A few calling for Cocu to go. The number of managers we have had is exactly the reason we are were we are. 

The last time the playing staff really progressed was under clough. Why?  because he had a few years.

Someone mentioned on another thread that this situation has been threatening to happen for a few seasons bur we've kept throwing money or loans at it to paper over the cracks and chase for a top 6 spot.

This season we have shed a lot of players from the squad and not added enough quality and it shows. It's definitely looking like a transition season and rebuild in the summer.  

57 minutes ago, Rambalin said:

Team for Middlesbrough

Roos

Wisdom.   Davies.   Beilik.   Malone

Shinnie

Bogle.             Dowell.          Lawrence

Martin.          Marriott.

Wisdom will strengthen the defence he is defensively better than Bogle.

Malone for Lowe not much between them but I think Cocu prefers him at home.

Bogle on the right of the three in midfield he started has a winger and being in front of Wisdom should strengthen that flank going both ways.

Plus this gets Marriott up top with Martin.

This team is a thing of beauty, bless you @Rambalin 

1 minute ago, Spanish said:

You may have a point but you could gamble on keeping someone who ultimately fails. Blind Retention is no guarantee of success.  Choosing the right guy and sticking with it is best but without hindsight how do you know the right horse to back

Cocu has had 13 games. If you sack him and say bring Hughton in, what do you do if he struggles in his first 13 games? Sack him? At some point we need to grin and bare it but give a Manager some time. Cocu hasn't even had a full transfer window yet. I think the football has been dire, no game plan, don't get the tactics but at some point we need to be patient.

13 minutes ago, Spanish said:

A few years of stability, even without success; would be better than swapping managers out every 6-14 months imo.

The squad has been on a gradual decline since we swapped Clough for McClaren and then got rid at the first sign of trouble. It's not some incredible coincidence that we've been getting worse year on year while not holding any manager for more than a season.

8 minutes ago, Spanish said:

15 minutes ago, Spanish said:

The worst choice would be sacking any manager after 14 games

1 minute ago, SaintRam said:

A few years of stability, even without success; would be better than swapping managers out every 6-14 months imo.

The squad has been on a gradual decline since we swapped Clough for McClaren and then got rid at the first sign of trouble. It's not some incredible coincidence that we've been getting worse year on year while not holding any manager for more than a season.

Well it partly is. Overall how good has our recruitment been? We got lucky (ha) with Vydra in the end, but the rest of them? Would the managers have had better results with better players recruited, like Lampard last year?

20 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

I'd be ok with Cocu going if I thought we had someone lined up that would be any more interesting. 

I'm kind of bored of fresh starts. Bored of believing "This guy seems promising"

If we get another manager I'll be less excited for the next game than with Cocu in charge 

I don't know how anyone can stomach another change. After Clough it was exciting. I was gutted about Mac but I thought shiny new Clement might be the next big thing. 15 coaching teams later the buzz wears off doesn't it?

Just give Cocu some transfer windows. I don't even care to see Wembley any time soon! 

sacking Cocu ??? So a new man comes in...same players ( because beleive it or not you can't bring players in until the transfer window opens )...what will change...nothing! give the manager a chance to get his players in.....any manager would struggle with this lot...as I've said before...write down the whole squad on a bit of paper and have a good look at it !! Keogh,Hudds injured and Wilson,Temori,Johnson,Mount,Bryson,Nugent not around anymore..... its not a great squad I'm afraid ....Frank left us in the lurch......lets get it right....give Cocu time ....

4 hours ago, GenBr said:

In the game against Wigan Malone's crossing was so bad I just assumed there was someone in the upper tier of the crowd that he was trying to hit for some reason. Lowe came on and did more in 5 minutes than Malone did the entire game. Lowe shouldn't have been dropped in the first place and I am glad he has finally got his chance to start in his own position.

His crossing was terrible, granted. But he was one of two players that was actually trying to drive the team forward. Much more worrying was the fact that we were relying on our full backs to start any attacks.

2 minutes ago, Alpha said:

I'd be ok with Cocu going if I thought we had someone lined up that would be any more interesting. 

I'm kind of bored of fresh starts. Bored of believing "This guy seems promising"

If we get another manager I'll be less excited for the next game than with Cocu in charge 

I don't know how anyone can stomach another change. After Clough it was exciting. I was gutted about Mac but I thought shiny new Clement might be the next big thing. 15 coaching teams later the buzz wears off doesn't it?

Just give Cocu some transfer windows. I don't even care to see Wembley any time soon! 

True. It's also been sad to watch the playing staff decline in quality since Mac 1. 

From

Grant

Wisdom.  Keogh.   Bucko.   Fozzy

Thorne

Bryson/Hendrick Hughes

Ward                               Russell

Martin

To

Roos

Bogle.     Davies.    Clarke.   Lowe

Beilik.    Shinnie

Holmes.       Dowell.     Lawrence

Martin                              

The only current player that'd make the Mac 1 team is Bogle. 

This was always coming.. I said before the season started we would struggle down to the ridiculous drawn out Lampard saga.. It screwed up our pre season and gave any new manager no time to plan for the season ahead.. This is what you end with I'm afraid.. 

11 minutes ago, Alpha said:

That's the worst part of it all though. At least with Frank we thought we'd get some good loans. Will we at least get some 'interesting' foreign players with Cocu?

24 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Well it partly is. Overall how good has our recruitment been? We got lucky (ha) with Vydra in the end, but the rest of them? Would the managers have had better results with better players recruited, like Lampard last year?

Thats all affected by the constant disruption though surely. Also, we didn't actually really have better results last year. We recruited great loanees because we had Lampard and with those truly great Championship players our overall performance within the division was above average, because the rest of our squad was average-below average. We scraped into the playoffs.

My point is this,

A manager brings someone in, leaves soon after, that player isn't suitable for the next guy and bam waste of money. Or a manager comes in, gets rid of a good player that doesn't suit them (See: Martin, Hughes) and then leaves, leaving us to go back to trying to play to the overall squads strength WITHOUT the best parts of that system. Can also be grateful to Mr.Clement for forcing in a "Madrid" style analytics department for recruitment purposes, and then using those analytics to sign players (at huge cost) he'd clearly never seen play as none of them suited even his style.

Don't make the mistake of thinking the recruitment system has been in constant stability this whole time. Different managers want different levels of input; they want it done in different ways; they want different types of players. Plus we had the huge ******* Mr. Rush putting average joes on huge wages too. 

Stability will just help. Across the board. I like Cocu but frankly I don't care who that stability is with. I said I wanted stability with Lampard, I said I wanted it with ducking Rowett because we need it, damn it! Seems easy enough to me to stick with the guy we have now and if we don't improve ducking suck it up. We aren't going up any time soon whatever we do, I think we've far more chance of bringing that timeline closer with stability than without it. 

2 hours ago, Ellafella said:

But the Manager keeps picking them. It’s the Manager’s job to pick the team. You can’t defend a manager by saying the players aren’t up to it. If the players aren’t good enough he should be playing youth...which is what apparently Cocu’s brief is. Nobody would moan if the youth lost so long as they left everything on the pitch. Cocu’s current selections don’t seem to give everything and they don’t appear to understand the system..,that to me indicates that Cocu is not the right fit for the job. If that’s the case, another 10 months won’t change it. 

I'm a big ol' advocate of the youth. But if we replaced everyone who's not up to promotion worthy performances in our squad with youth we would 100% get relegated, cos that's basically the whole team - and our youth isn't that good.

9 minutes ago, Ramarena said:

True. It's also been sad to watch the playing staff decline in quality since Mac 1. 

From

Grant

Wisdom.  Keogh.   Bucko.   Fozzy

Thorne

Bryson/Hendrick Hughes

Ward                               Russell

Martin

To

Roos

Bogle.     Davies.    Clarke.   Lowe

Beilik.    Shinnie

Holmes.       Dowell.     Lawrence

Martin                              

The only current player that'd make the Mac 1 team is Bogle. 

Not so sure, Wisdom was awesome in his first spell with us...

Archived