Hull City (A) Match Thread

Ghost of Clough

1 minute ago, BondJovi said:

What team would you pick? Aside from trying to get Marriott in there, I honestly can't see a better option.

Our best attacking formation is with Martin and Marriott.

The opposition's best attaching formation is Bielik and Clarke and Kelle forking Roos. 

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Ramitupper said:

Clark, Bielik, Davis, Holmes, Lowe - none of them anywhere near good enough today.

Plus we have a GK who's afraid to catch the ball and of course, a manager who doesn't know his best team or combination.

Good thing we won the rugby - because this was just dire.

Completely disagree over Lowe, who defended well and kept the ball moving. Holmes is what he is an energetic runner who can beat a man, but has no final ball.

Clarke and Davies are limited by their lack of pace.

I do wonder if Derby fans would back Cocu a bit more if Chris Hughton was in a job.

I think having a manager who is as good as he is available in this division is making life difficult for PC, and it's an easy thing for fans to turn to when things on the pitch aren't great.

That's not me defending what we've done by the way. Today was really concerning. I'm nervous for this team at the minute.

Plain and simple 

when ur team constantly gets out fought as a fan is unacceptable to watch 

I can handle losing, I can handle being beaten by a better side

But when your out battled and u see players half heartedly tracking back, following their men, carelessly handing possession over it’s no wonder fans are questioning the manager 

it’s a recurring theme in cocus regime 

how many times do the words “that was dire” have to keep ringing around before Mel gets itchy 

Just now, Ramarena said:

Do it today, we may even manage to get through another two by May!

And more fresh starts for a group of underperforming players. Maybe after 5 managers Lawrence might learn to pass in the final third... Manager number 4 might even be able to heal Keogh and give Davies pace, find Waghorns first touch...

17 minutes ago, Ramfan1958 said:

Get rid of Cocu before it's to late ,worst Derby team for years !!!!

And do what?

Abosolute joke, call me crazy but it’s the players who are clueless maybe they are the joke and judging from incidents over the last few months that would even stand up in a court of law.

You astound me and maybe the obvious knee jerk reactions in past seasons is exactly why we find ourselves in this situation.

1 minute ago, BondJovi said:

And more fresh starts for a group of underperforming players. Maybe after 5 managers Lawrence might learn to pass in the final third... Manager number 4 might even be able to heal Keogh and give Davies pace, find Waghorns first touch...

But the Manager keeps picking them. It’s the Manager’s job to pick the team. You can’t defend a manager by saying the players aren’t up to it. If the players aren’t good enough he should be playing youth...which is what apparently Cocu’s brief is. Nobody would moan if the youth lost so long as they left everything on the pitch. Cocu’s current selections don’t seem to give everything and they don’t appear to understand the system..,that to me indicates that Cocu is not the right fit for the job. If that’s the case, another 10 months won’t change it. 

9 minutes ago, Ramitupper said:

Clark, Bielik, Davis, Holmes, Lowe - none of them anywhere near good enough today.

Plus we have a GK who's afraid to catch the ball and of course, a manager who doesn't know his best team or combination.

Good thing we won the rugby - because this was just dire.

I think that's harsh on Holmes, Clarke and Lowe. 

Holmes produced the best passing in the final third including a run down the entire pitch to set Shinnie up with a lovely weighted pass. Lawrence delivered feck all. As usual. All promises and nothing more. Dowell made one good pass and spent the rest of the game thinking he plays for Barcelona and is there to knock it about defending an 8-0 lead. 

Clarke and Davies defended rather well for the majority of the game. Including several surprise counter attacks set up by Bielik and a lovely Hull attack initiated by Dowell. Towards the end they lost it but some players never had it

Lowe was ok. He has nothing to work with though. Except the ever selfish Lawrence who offers no width and treats Lowe as a decoy runner. I don't think we had to witness any of those poor Malone crosses. Not a great game for Lowe though

But the standouts are Lawrence, Dowell and Bielik imo. Impressive just how they refuse to do the basics well. 

Attack was ok (compared to the last few games) even if it did completely lack a cutting edge and couldnt complete many passes  - at least there was a bit more movement today. Defence was abysmal though - Clarke still terrifies me and neither of the centre backs appears to be able to pass the ball either. Maybe try Wisdom next game at CB - running out of ideas here.

Not to worry though next game is against a team in the bottom three, so we are in with a chance for that one.

34 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

How Marriott can’t get in the 11 is beyond belief. Stop starting with one up front Cocu ?

Marriott is wasted when we play one up front and since we won't change away from a formation with wingers despite not having a single one in our squad we may as well not play him.

26 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

Just tiresome at this point. Watching players waste opportunity after opportunity when we have the ball in good situations. 

Bogle crossing out for a GK under no pressure, Lawrence putting in poor crosses, Holmes massively wasteful. 

only bleeder who managed to carve them open was Dowell with his excellent ball to Lawrence and he’s absolutely roasted on here. 

Dowell was getting roasted before because he was garbage for several games in a row. He had a good game today though and was then for some inexplicable reason taken off despite looking like the only person who could make something happen for us, which then coincidentally led to our total collapse.

7 minutes ago, Ramitupper said:

Our best attacking formation is with Martin and Marriott.

The opposition's best attaching formation is Bielik and Clarke and Kelle forking Roos. 

Have we ever even tried Martin and Marriott together as a two up top for more than 30 seconds?

13 minutes ago, NottsRam77 said:

He basically said it in an interview, might have been lost in translation his end but that’s how it came across 

I just listened to it. Not the impression I got at all, said it's about progression for him under Phillip Cocu, it was a personalised question about himself. Of course he's going to say that. Only thing was he said it wasn't just about winning games, then corrected himself and got very nervous about it. He's Polish, so he's struggling for words to describe his feelings.

That being said, he needs to look at his first half today and go from there. It wasn't perfect by any means but that was his best 45 mins by miles, second half was poor though and I put that down to fitness.

On the whole, if we're gonna write this season off as a season of progressing strategically, there were lots of promising signs that first half. Looked like the 'philosophy' was coming together. Might not have all the pieces to the puzzle just yet but I have confidence we will eventually.

20 minutes ago, BondJovi said:

What team would you pick? Aside from trying to get Marriott in there, I honestly can't see a better option.

Marriott and Martin up top, Paterson behind then 3 in midfield. Go at teams instead of possession football 

19 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

The selected team was the better team for 75 minutes though?

Not much good when there is a zero in the scoresheet 

Archived