Hull City (A) Match Thread

Ghost of Clough

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, GenBr said:

Marriott is wasted when we play one up front and since we won't change away from a formation with wingers despite not having a single one in our squad we may as well not play him.

This is the problem, we don’t have the players for the formation we are playing. He needs to change it 

20 minutes ago, Ramitupper said:

Our best attacking formation is with Martin and Marriott.

The opposition's best attaching formation is Bielik and Clarke and Kelle forking Roos. 

How can you say our best attack is Martin and Marriott when they have been on the pitch together for less than 30 minutes?

I'm not saying I dont want to see them together, I do, but you can't say their the best when they haven't actually played much.

5 minutes ago, GrimsbyRam said:

Your opinion but 1 win in 7 (no clean sheets) away from home is relegation form and is not nonsense.

Our record in the second half of last season away from home was 2 wins in 12 games, 0.9 points per game compared to the 0.8 per game we've got away from home this season. It's not something new that we've got a poor record away from home.

I'm pretty sure Cocu will have a free pass this season as long as we're far enough away from the bottom 3, We look to have a soft underbelly ie character goes when things go wrong, Our identity has fallen away from last season, Again the lions share of the ball but fail to score(1 dissalowed), 2 laborious central defenders, No play maker in the middle, Wide man/men failing to give a service, Hence losing again.

Not privvy to any dressing room talks, I just get the impression Cocu isn't one to give a Mike Bassett type HT team talk, He comes across as calm and collected, Just wondering if the players aint to fussed with what they produce on the pitch knowing there's no detention next week.

2 minutes ago, Alpha said:

I think that's harsh on Holmes, Clarke and Lowe. 

Holmes produced the best passing in the final third including a run down the entire pitch to set Shinnie up with a lovely weighted pass. Lawrence delivered feck all. As usual. All promises and nothing more. Dowell made one good pass and spent the rest of the game thinking he plays for Barcelona and is there to knock it about defending an 8-0 lead. 

Clarke and Davies defended rather well for the majority of the game. Including several surprise counter attacks set up by Bielik and a lovely Hull attack initiated by Dowell. Towards the end they lost it but some players never had it

Lowe was ok. He has nothing to work with though. Except the ever selfish Lawrence who offers no width and treats Lowe as a decoy runner. I don't think we had to witness any of those poor Malone crosses. Not a great game for Lowe though

But the standouts are Lawrence, Dowell and Bielik imo. Impressive just how they refuse to do the basics well. 

Lawrence is a given, I've given up slagging him off on here lol

Davies gave the ball away how many times? criminal for a central defender, and way too slow. 

Clarke was like a mediocre pub team defender getting drawn to the ball and easy to pull out of position

Lowe just isn't good enough, I don't know why, maybe nervous, maybe just not good enough.

Forgot Dowell, perhaps for the best.

As for Bielik, well I just home we kept the receipt.....!

3 minutes ago, rammieib said:

How can you say our best attack is Martin and Marriott when they have been on the pitch together for less than 30 minutes?

I'm not saying I dont want to see them together, I do, but you can't say their the best when they haven't actually played much.

Can't imagine why Cocu bothered playing them together in Florida, no-one else to play together I guess.

10 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

But the Manager keeps picking them. It’s the Manager’s job to pick the team. You can’t defend a manager by saying the players aren’t up to it. If the players aren’t good enough he should be playing youth...which is what apparently Cocu’s brief is. Nobody would moan if the youth lost so long as they left everything on the pitch. Cocu’s current selections don’t seem to give everything and they don’t appear to understand the system..,that to me indicates that Cocu is not the right fit for the job. If that’s the case, another 10 months won’t change it. 

Forest cup game. The out cry from that result probably put Cocu off using more of the youth.

2 minutes ago, rammieib said:

Lol! Because it's blindingly obvious that Martin has a magic touch and can hold the ball and set people up - as we've seen time and time again, and who do you want him passing to? Waghorn? He who has the first touch of a dizzy one-legged man??  On the very few occasions they HAVE played together - either one or both of them has scored.

Just now, BondJovi said:

Forest cup game. The out cry from that result probably put Cocu off using more of the youth.

Because he used them wrong. He chucked them in the deep end and didn't introduce them to a settled side. If he had put them in carefully it wouldn't get the same backlash.

Just now, BondJovi said:

Good point. That was precisely not the game to do it in and he should be intelligent enough to have worked that out. 
something needs to change because there’s not really a scintilla of any emerging pattern...and that strikes me as not right. 

I just hope Mel has Cocu into his office this week and says something along the lines of “You deal with Middlesbrough on the pitch and I’ll deal with them off it” because if we don’t beat them next week I will begin to think he’s not getting how important certain games are to this club.

Alright, all games are important but some are importanter. ?

10 minutes ago, rammieib said:

We had an awful pre season and the only exciting part of it was that Martin and Marriott link vs Sarasota. 

Now I know Marriott has it in his contract that he has 320 days annual leave but unless Cocu fell asleep during that game then I'm fairly sure that showed more promise than a single second if any other attacking combo since. 

I'm with you, we can't say for sure they are our best options. But I think by how utterly hopeless the other are that the performance v Sarasota is the stuff of legend. 

I think we really have to consider that Cocu himself is our best midfielder even though we lack evidence.

23 minutes ago, blackNwhites said:

I just listened to it. Not the impression I got at all, said it's about progression for him under Phillip Cocu, it was a personalised question about himself. Of course he's going to say that. Only thing was he said it wasn't just about winning games, then corrected himself and got very nervous about it. He's Polish, so he's struggling for words to describe his feelings.

That being said, he needs to look at his first half today and go from there. It wasn't perfect by any means but that was his best 45 mins by miles, second half was poor though and I put that down to fitness.

On the whole, if we're gonna write this season off as a season of progressing strategically, there were lots of promising signs that first half. Looked like the 'philosophy' was coming together. Might not have all the pieces to the puzzle just yet but I have confidence we will eventually.

Well I read differently, as did the guy who posted originally and it’s been documented by others on this forum by others 

he didn’t come across well which gives ammunition to be shot at when he plays so abjectly across 90 minutes 

ignore me though I’m just in A mard 

im not feeling cocus regime and am just struggling to get my head round what direction he’s trying to take us

im failing to see any of the basics that are required in this division, and dam it some teams have got out of this league by just doing the basics alone 

so it just infuriates me 

Team for Middlesbrough

Roos

Wisdom.   Davies.   Beilik.   Malone

Shinnie

Bogle.             Dowell.          Lawrence

Martin.          Marriott.

Wisdom will strengthen the defence he is defensively better than Bogle.

Malone for Lowe not much between them but I think Cocu prefers him at home.

Bogle on the right of the three in midfield he started has a winger and being in front of Wisdom should strengthen that flank going both ways.

Plus this gets Marriott up top with Martin.

Another away loss keeps my streak going, but there’s no need to overreact to that. We were well and truly robbed there, which probably cancels out some of the luck we’ve had across the season. Ref cost us 3 points there with a horrendous decision. But, we still shouldn’t collapse in the way we did. We were well in control, but it seems like this team lacks any steel in that as soon as something goes wrong they tend to fall apart. No excuses for some of the horrendous defensive play we saw today. Until we fix that, and the sheer number of basic individuals errors we make, this form will only continue.

55 minutes ago, blackNwhites said:

I'm not sure where you've got your info from, never heard him say that. If he's got ambition then fair play to him. I've never got the impression he's a 'prima donna', he certainly doesn't lack effort. Maybe something he needs to work on is his fitness, because he was everywhere first half and nowhere second.

He made the comment to the Polish media on the international break just after he signed.

Archived