Hull City (A) Match Thread

Ghost of Clough

Cocu's got his work cut out with this squad that's for sure. We have a lot of careless, mentally and physically weak players who are also very mediocre. You can see what Cocu is aiming for in that first half, it must be infuriating to see them fall away in the way they did. Maybe Cocu could have made different subs that might have made a bit of a difference, but I think the dye was cast. 

We really need some players with strength and intelligence bringing to the club, hopefully Rooney will be the first of a few with the required attributes. We can't continue to bring in flimsy lightweights! 

We also need to get a few more youngsters in and around the team in the meantime. I thought Dowell did better first half than he has so far (not saying much but hey ho).....BUT I'm not sure what he brings to the table that the likes of Knight or Sibley don't or can't?

We can't have players like Dowell blocking the path to the first team for the youth. Knight has shown much more in his few appearances compared to Dowell for me, time to give one or two of them a go. 

Changes I'd make for the next game would be:

- Wisdom in for Clarke to see if that changes anything in the CB positions

- Knight, Holmes and Sibley battling for that position behind Martin

- Whittaker much more involved and brought on if the wingers are struggling. 

- Look to play Marriott and Martin together at home

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Derby boss Phillip Cocu told BBC Radio Derby:

"I am very pleased how we performed today as a team in an away game and we have to continue the football combined with attitude and then we will get a win.

"The key moment is the goal for Tom not given and given as a foul. It was a hard decision for us because if we go 1-0 up then I think we will win the game.

"We made some mistakes in passing and that's something they waited for all game."

It's a good job he doesn't read message boards ?

16 minutes ago, NottsRam77 said:

Well I read differently, as did the guy who posted originally and it’s been documented by others on this forum by others 

he didn’t come across well which gives ammunition to be shot at when he plays so abjectly across 90 minutes 

ignore me though I’m just in A mard 

im not feeling cocus regime and am just struggling to get my head round what direction he’s trying to take us

im failing to see any of the basics that are required in this division, and dam it some teams have got out of this league by just doing the basics alone 

so it just infuriates me 

Believe me, within I'm think WTF am I watching sometimes. I don't think I've particularly enjoyed any of the games I've watched this season. The first half today felt the best we've played since the first half at Huddersfield.

We've lost a hell of a lot of players from last season, people point out Wilson, Mount and Tomori and rightly so. But we also lost Bryson and Johnson who played big parts last season as well, we've lost Carson for a year and Richard Keogh as well. 3 brilliant youngsters and 4 senior players are gone. That's massive.

We've replaced all them with Clarke who I'm increasingly frustrated with, Dowell who looks like he's on the same level as Sibley and Knight, Paterson who looks decent at times and Bielik who shows promise (imo) but needs to carry that through a whole game. We're significantly weaker than last season. 

Marriott isn't gonna make it here, he'll thrive at a team like Millwall though. He's brilliant at what he does, but that isn't the way Derby play.

We've got a lot of juggling about to do in the next 12 months, we'll probably be a completely different team come the beginning of next season. Players like Lawrence could be gone or bench players, maybe that's wishful thinking?

Lots of work to do for Cocu and his assistants but I believe they're the right people for the job.

36 minutes ago, I Bought the Tee Shirt said:

I'm pretty sure Cocu will have a free pass this season as long as we're far enough away from the bottom 3, We look to have a soft underbelly ie character goes when things go wrong, Our identity has fallen away from last season, Again the lions share of the ball but fail to score(1 dissalowed), 2 laborious central defenders, No play maker in the middle, Wide man/men failing to give a service, Hence losing again.

Not privvy to any dressing room talks, I just get the impression Cocu isn't one to give a Mike Bassett type HT team talk, He comes across as calm and collected, Just wondering if the players aint to fussed with what they produce on the pitch knowing there's no detention next week.

or of course they've just simply nodded off !  ? 

46 minutes ago, JfR said:

Our record in the second half of last season away from home was 2 wins in 12 games, 0.9 points per game compared to the 0.8 per game we've got away from home this season. It's not something new that we've got a poor record away from home.

We lost one away in the league from 5th March 2019 to the end of the season. We also won away at Leeds in the playoffs.  We are shipping 2 plus goals for fun now. We concede first we lose, simple as that.  We have no motivation. This mirrors Pearson's season - poor results and lack of goals/clear cut chances. It happened the same in Fenerbache (coincidentally they got rid this very weekend a year ago!). Sadly Cocu is not getting the best out of these players.  Holmes for one looks a shadow of the player from last year.  

8 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Good point. That was precisely not the game to do it in and he should be intelligent enough to have worked that out. 
something needs to change because there’s not really a scintilla of any emerging pattern...and that strikes me as not right. 

Why though? Because it matters to the fans? How can he integrate youth into a team when we have injuries and so many out of form players. There isn't a platform to add to.

I also have zero faith in our fans currently giving any young player the support they need when it gets tough. 

It isn't exciting and a headline grabbing plan, but we have to make it to January and begin making the changes in players who are capable.  

5 minutes ago, I Bought the Tee Shirt said:

Derby boss Phillip Cocu told BBC Radio Derby:

"I am very pleased how we performed today as a team in an away game and we have to continue the football combined with attitude and then we will get a win.

"The key moment is the goal for Tom not given and given as a foul. It was a hard decision for us because if we go 1-0 up then I think we will win the game.

"We made some mistakes in passing and that's something they waited for all game."

It's a good job he doesn't read message boards ?

I'm not sure the key moment is the goal that imo was rightly disallowed. That's probably a foul anywhere on the pitch and it's nearly always going to he given in the area. Lawrence kind of chucked his body sideways at the defender kind of how you'd expect a keeper to come and clear up. 

The key moment lasted for about 20 mins as our midfield started losing the pitch. Dowell defensively just stopped, Lawrence just became a luxury. Bielik and Shinnie looked tired and with no support Martin began to look tired and fed up. 

I think he's either putting a positive spin on it or he's not watched Hull get hold of the midfield and keep running onto our defence more and more as we increase the amount of errors. 

Definitely the first half was overall pleasing.

2 minutes ago, BondJovi said:

Why though? Because it matters to the fans? How can he integrate youth into a team when we have injuries and so many out of form players. There isn't a platform to add to.

I also have zero faith in our fans currently giving any young player the support they need when it gets tough. 

It isn't exciting and a headline grabbing plan, but we have to make it to January and begin making the changes in players who are capable.  

Nigel Clough managed to do it in far more trying times. Today he played Dowell. He could have looked at a youth alternative. Instead he keeps trying the same things that don’t work. I’m half expecting to see Josefzoon again any time soon. Also, we’re leaking goals because midfield isn’t right so why not put Wisdom in who’s proven at CH at Salzburg...just try things instead of getting overturned by bang average sides. 

We're going backwards under cocu and don't seem to be learning. His pedigree is good but with better players I know we've lost three key players from last season but he doesn't come across as inspirational with the players we have got and thought his comments after the charlton game weren't insightful and that's being diplomatic. The Charlton performance was abysmal and I was there. The minimum for me was a win and a draw this week and we scraped a lucky win midweek and from reports were poor again today. Is Pulis still available?

5 minutes ago, Monty said:

We're going backwards under cocu and don't seem to be learning. His pedigree is good but with better players I know we've lost three key players from last season but he doesn't come across as inspirational with the players we have got and thought his comments after the charlton game weren't insightful and that's being diplomatic. The Charlton performance was abysmal and I was there. The minimum for me was a win and a draw this week and we scraped a lucky win midweek and from reports were poor again today. Is Pulis still available?

spacer.png

5 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Nigel Clough managed to do it in far more trying times. Today he played Dowell. He could have looked at a youth alternative. Instead he keeps trying the same things that don’t work. I’m half expecting to see Josefzoon again any time soon. Also, we’re leaking goals because midfield isn’t right so why not put Wisdom in who’s proven at CH at Salzburg...just try things instead of getting overturned by bang average sides. 

I am not sure Wisdom is the player he was for us in his first spell when he was brilliant....

The thing i struggle with is that the two defensive midfielders do not make us good defensively. We are not benefitting from that set up. If we were keeping clean sheets then maybe i could understand it. And because we are short of numbers in attack we then commit (over commit?) the full backs and the defense is actually weakened  as a result. We are really struggling sometimes to cope with a quick counter attack.

Cocu seemed like a good idea, but it isn't working.And yet he just keeps trying the same 4231 thing over and over again. 

I'm not calling for his head because he's only had 14 games and we all want him to be a success but he may be part of the problem. Fans can make up their own minds on that over the coming weeks.

P.s.  pearson got 14 games, toddy got 17, phil brown and paul clement got 33, john newman and colin murphy got 35. 

A few calling for Cocu to go. The number of managers we have had is exactly the reason we are were we are. 

But yes let's sack another and take more steps backwards.

The last time the playing staff really progressed was under clough. Why?  because he had a few years.

1 hour ago, Ellafella said:

But the Manager keeps picking them. It’s the Manager’s job to pick the team. You can’t defend a manager by saying the players aren’t up to it. If the players aren’t good enough he should be playing youth...which is what apparently Cocu’s brief is. Nobody would moan if the youth lost so long as they left everything on the pitch. Cocu’s current selections don’t seem to give everything and they don’t appear to understand the system..,that to me indicates that Cocu is not the right fit for the job. If that’s the case, another 10 months won’t change it. 

...like against Forest in the mickey mouse cup when he threw in some youngsters/fringe and got slated left right and centre for it.

Archived