New parents

Ramslad1992

So whilst I have my lovely step daughter who I met when she was 2, me and my fiancé have recently found out we are expecting. Whilst I’ve learnt on the job per say and feel I’ve mastered toddlers I was wondering if anyone has any hints/tips when it comes to Babies that they’d be willing to share? The baby book says to look for ‘online dad forums’ but as they’re going to be a future ram I’d rather trust you lot! ?

thanks in advance! 

First off...congratulations!

You seriously dont need advice on how to be a parent, it will just come naturally! Sure you will pick up tips along the way but everyone does parenting in a way that suits their circumstances, all kids are not the same and consequently all parenting is not the same.

You will find that you parenting evolves to suit your own personal situation.

There is only one piece I would ever give in relation to parenting and that is, enjoy every second of it because time flies, kids grow up so fast and you never know what is round the corner!

Enjoy!

On 19/10/2019 at 10:07, G STAR RAM said:

First off...congratulations!

You seriously dont need advice on how to be a parent, it will just come naturally! Sure you will pick up tips along the way but everyone does parenting in a way that suits their circumstances, all kids are not the same and consequently all parenting is not the same.

You will find that you parenting evolves to suit your own personal situation.

There is only one piece I would ever give in relation to parenting and that is, enjoy every second of it because time flies, kids grow up so fast and you never know what is round the corner!

Enjoy!

Spot on, that is the best tip in this topic. My neighbour at the time our kids were born said to me: Enjoy  it, because one day you' ll blink and they are gone!

I keep threatening to write a book about my parenting technique, it seems to have worked brilliantly. 

ignore them. 

when our oldest was little, my wife would be at work, and I’d be working from home. She’d be in the living room watching CBeebies, and id be working next door in the office. She’d call for a drink, I’d say sure, just a minute. But a minute would turn into half an hour, and by the time I got up to make her a drink she’d given up waiting and just made her own. 

A few more years like that and now she’s 10 and totally independent. She can come home from school and make her own dinner. She’s way more responsible than I am. 

4 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

I keep threatening to write a book about my parenting technique, it seems to have worked brilliantly. 

ignore them. 

when our oldest was little, my wife would be at work, and I’d be working from home. She’d be in the living room watching CBeebies, and id be working next door in the office. She’d call for a drink, I’d say sure, just a minute. But a minute would turn into half an hour, and by the time I got up to make her a drink she’d given up waiting and just made her own. 

A few more years like that and now she’s 10 and totally independent. She can come home from school and make her own dinner. She’s way more responsible than I am. 

If you had her properly trained she would be bringing the drinks in to you...

Help your missus to stay sane. Lot of pressure on women to do the'right' thing

Both mine were caesarian section due to complications. My missus couldn't express milk but that didn't stop the leche mafia from being extremely judgemental, including bringing round a pumping system to 'encourage' her

Now, my missus is a lot brighter than me but found this so intimidating that she strapped herself in despite there being nothing there

Luckily my mother in law (Polish, don't mess) said that the situation was ridiculous and the baby went straight on to the bottle .....(after 48 hours of tears and self recriminations, not to mention a very hungry baby)

One happy baby resulted (now at Manchester doing Physics), one relieved wife and one group of hacked off leche Mafiosi who gave me a right rollicking when I returned their wretched milking kit

You know what, I didn't care. I should have done it earlier

Lesson learned. Keep balance. Don't go faddy. Look after the ones who need you by keeping the faddistas away

First off, congratulations.  Breastfeeding, there is no substitute and for as long as circumstances allow.  Drinking from bottle in cot can cause inner ear inflammation.  When baby is taking first steps, do not remove fragile items from baby's reach, use the magic words instead, no, that is forbidden.  Lastly, love, lots and lots of love, kids thrive on it and it pays off when teen years arrive.