As A Derby Fan What Are You Most Bitter About?

Bob The Badger

1. Charlie George getting injured against Stoke and missing the end of what could well have been a double winning season?

2. Juventus bribing the referee in the European Cup Semi-Final and getting away with it?

3. The last minute winner for QPR at Wembley?

4. Paulo Wanchope not getting goal of the month after his brilliance against Man Utd?

5. None of the above - so come on, what is it then? Let's get bitter and twisted.

I'm going for #1. That was truly the start of the decline imho.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Honest ? I am a late arrival to the wonderful world of DCFC so the years of hurt aren’t quite the same for me but I remember the European campaigns and crackly radio coverage “and it’s Hector on the ball” fizzle crackle. There was a romanticism in those days, playing far away against Johnny Foreigners. Then add in that I am an old goat who loves a bit of sporting nobility, daring do and fair play .. so even though Cloughie said they were good enough to beat us without cheating, it’s the Juve one for me. Bad karma. I gave a silent cheer when they got relegated following another bribe scandal a few years back. And .. add in that at the time they were probably the wealthiest club in world football with all Agnellis money behind them. Sad.

Wembley - Keogh. Nah we weren’t quite good enough. The real tragedy was arriving only 2 minutes before kick off and then having to sit in the bus park queue for 2 hours before a miserable coach trip home. Awful day but those ones are fate and sport. Triumph and disaster, Kipling and all that. 

Its when something is stolen that hurts most

Clough and taylor leaving was totally traumatic.

it took a long time to get over that.

plus juventus

plus something about that man utd semi always grinds my gears, but i don't really know what

after that i'd add......tommy docs alleged treatment of kevin hector

losing to qpr was just one of those things

losing to villa felt like a missed opportunity....aaagh that fookin teamsheet!

Martin being injured Vs Bournemouth 2015.

Seemingly cruising to promotion, away at our rivals in February, Martin goes off with an innocuous knock, we draw 2-2, then he misses the vast majority of the remaining season.

Not only was he so crucial to our playing style at the time, but his replacement Bent was also soon on the touchline,  injured for a shorter spell, leading to Russell leading the line while we didn't adapt our game to suit.

We subsequently lost Mascarell, who was himself Thornes replacement, then finally Eustice got injured too.

That whole season was ridiculously unlucky, without it I'm sure we'd have been a well established Premier League team by now.

Nigel Pearson farming Martin out on loan to Fulham. Mac2 did a great job getting us back on track until he tried to seduce the Wardrobe back. Poor CMs career has suffered ever since although not entirely down to the ostrich. The Wardrobes renaissance this season has taken the edge off that bitterness. 

The Juventus one in the opening post, plus Clough and Taylor's departure and then Dave Mackay's sacking, probably overshadow everything else since. I wouldn't include Charlie's injury, because injuries happen in football and it's just bad luck. The others were down to cheating and utter stupidity, and they still irk.

I would add Armfield sending out the Dirties to 'do a number' on Derby 4 days before we played the second leg of the European Cup game with Real Madrid, because Leeds were terrified that we would beat them to 'the big prize'.

Everything to do with Nigel Pearson's stint as Derby manager.

The fans who thought he'd be good, the "but at Leicester", the forcing key players out, making a big deal about how important Jeff Hendrick was, only to sell him anyway, the miserable time getting transfers in, accepting "only if you also buy Anya" terms from Watford, all for the sake of taking apart an entertaining and likable team for implementation of 442 and hoof, except with Butterfield on the left wing. All that because some folks thought the squad needed a "tough" manager...

That and not getting shot of Paul Jewell the instant 07-08 was over. In what world had anyone seen anything to suggest he should've been given the chance to carry on and rebuild?

Will always be Juventus to me I am pretty sure that cost us everything from Clough going, Forest rising and ultimately world domination. My late dad had already sorted travel to Belgrade and when a few years later the dogs got there it opened the sore even more. Safe to say I hate the cheating Italian Bamford more than any other team to this day 

Archived