As A Derby Fan What Are You Most Bitter About?

Bob The Badger

The Juventus scandal without a doubt.

We were on a magic carpet ride under Clough and Taylor which could and should have resulted in a European Cup final.

We knew that Cloughie refused to shake hands with their manager after the game saying 'I don't shake hands with cheats' but it was only revealed later that the Ref was in the Juve dressing room at half-time.

HOWEVER the circumstances in which Clough and Taylor left the club has to have left the bitterest taste in the mouth of any Rams Fan of a certain age.

And Docherty selling Toddy of course!

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply
57 minutes ago, WHAT DO I GET said:

Not first time we won the league but the first time we qualified for the UEFA (FAIRS cup) then the ducking Yorkshire Dirties won it by beating the ducking Italian dirties in the most filthiest, cheatingest Final one could ever imagine, Wasn't a game of football but who it was decided on who could cheat the best. Me bitter no!

Good catch.

1.  Looking at the likes of Leicester, admiring what they've achieved and thinking that could have been us.

2.  Play Off final defeats. In fact with the number of times we've made the play offs let's just call it "everything about the play offs".

3. Usually selling our best players on the cheap.  Huddlestone to Spurs, Hughes to Watford, going further back Wright and Saunders to Liverpool rankle the most.

1 hour ago, oomarkwright said:

April 1976.same day as grand national wen red rum was second. 2-0 Gordon Hill who came to Derby later. 

But the key thing was that Derby were well placed for a league and cup double until Charlie George dislocated his shoulder against Stoke before the semi-final. ?

41 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

But the key thing was that Derby were well placed for a league and cup double until Charlie George dislocated his shoulder against Stoke before the semi-final. ?

Denis Smith did it. 

The dirty chipeating, clay head, Bamford.

2 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

What and when was this semi final vs United? Not heard much about it.

1976 FA Cup Semi Final

Manchester United v Derby County at Hillsborough.

Derby station, train after train after train packed full heading to Sheffield. Thousands of us milling round for what seemed like hours nervously drinking cans of beer (no dark fruits in those days), smoking fags until we finally managed to squeeze onto one of the trains specially laid on by British Rail that day.

The short journey on the train was riotous, singing, hanging out the windows, absolute mayhem. It was our year. We were favourites. We'd won the League the season before and were in with an outside chance of retaining the title.

Arriving in Sheffield, marching to the ground in a huge convoy of Rams, arriving at the turnstiles, hordes of United fans suddenly appearing, fights breaking out everywhere, one Manc Bamford tried to take my ticket off me, I nutted him and some older lads made sure he didn't do it to anyone else. I was 16.

In the stadium Derby fans let thousands of blue and white balloons off as the players came out.

The game went against us, United scored then we had a perfectly good goal disallowed and they got a second. Fights raged in the open end alongside a flimsy fence all through the second half, although we were the better team on paper we just couldn't rise to the occasion, without our talisman, Charlie George who had been broken by Stoke a couple of weeks before, we lacked a cutting edge.

Walking back to the station was pretty savage. Derby fans were attacking any Utd fans who they could get at with the police at full stretch, dogs, horses and truncheons all over the place.

We finished the season in 4th place and FA Cup Semi Finalists and thought it was a disaster! How time have changed.

The following season Dave Mackay was sacked early on and the decline set in.

I'm sure many will have different memories of that match but its stuck in my mind ever since.

I hate Man Utd.

6 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

That sending off of Martin by Bobby Madley. Convinced we take top two without that.

I was there with the other old uns, Juventus, Clough, all that. Far too much to be bitter about but in modern times Martins sending off really riles me.

1. It was a penalty. Martins standing foot was taken, no drama, no diving, no appeal, straight forward foul and stonewall penalty.

2. Hendrick smashed the ball into the goal before the ref had given the decision so it even took the pressure off him, he didn't have to give the penalty, could just of let the goal stand.

3. The ref was a Bamford.

4. We would have beaten Burnley to automatic promotion that year and gone up with a midfield of Bryson, Hughes, Hendrick....we had a solid framework of good young players, a couple of intelligent signings would have seen us thrive and establish in the Prem.

5. The ref was a Bamford.

22 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

1976 FA Cup Semi Final

Manchester United v Derby County at Hillsborough.

Derby station, train after train after train packed full heading to Sheffield. Thousands of us milling round for what seemed like hours nervously drinking cans of beer (no dark fruits in those days), smoking fags until we finally managed to squeeze onto one of the trains specially laid on by British Rail that day.

The short journey on the train was riotous, singing, hanging out the windows, absolute mayhem. It was our year. We were favourites. We'd won the League the season before and were in with an outside chance of retaining the title.

Arriving in Sheffield, marching to the ground in a huge convoy of Rams, arriving at the turnstiles, hordes of United fans suddenly appearing, fights breaking out everywhere, one Manc Bamford tried to take my ticket off me, I nutted him and some older lads made sure he didn't do it to anyone else. I was 16.

In the stadium Derby fans let thousands of blue and white balloons off as the players came out.

The game went against us, United scored then we had a perfectly good goal disallowed and they got a second. Fights raged in the open end alongside a flimsy fence all through the second half, although we were the better team on paper we just couldn't rise to the occasion, without our talisman, Charlie George who had been broken by Stoke a couple of weeks before, we lacked a cutting edge.

Walking back to the station was pretty savage. Derby fans were attacking any Utd fans who they could get at with the police at full stretch, dogs, horses and truncheons all over the place.

We finished the season in 4th place and FA Cup Semi Finalists and thought it was a disaster! How time have changed.

The following season Dave Mackay was sacked early on and the decline set in.

I'm sure many will have different memories of that match but its stuck in my mind ever since.

I hate Man Utd.

One of my blackest memories as well,  and we never recovered. We won one more game that season and in the following 4 seasons up to relegation managed to lose more than we won., with the help of some "stellar signings", not least Docherty

1 minute ago, Srg said:

The Premier League season, not necessarily for the season itself, but the 5/6 years of recovery it took to even become respectable again.

To be fair, we finished 10th in 2011/2012. I'd argue it took 3/4 years to get to the point where the foundations for the 13/14 side could be seen.

16 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

2. Juventus bribing the referee in the European Cup Semi-Final and getting away with it?

Oddly even though it was long before I was born I'm most bitter about this one - Just cos my dad has be completely convinced we would have a champions league star had it not been for the cheating ref

11 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

To be fair, we finished 10th in 2011/2012. I'd argue it took 3/4 years to get to the point where the foundations for the 13/14 side could be seen.

Had to get rid of Nigel first.

Where to start:

1) Brian Clough and Peter Taylor leaving. When I speak with my dad who was a season ticket holder then he said that all of Liverpool’s success should of been ours and it was very much on the cards.

2) Juventus bribing the referee. Again we probably would of won the European Cup that year.

3) The whole 2014/15 season. If Thorne had been fit we would of smashed the league. Then if we had gone injury free even without Thorne we would of been promoted.

4) All the success of the teams around us after 2014/15 season. When you look at Bournemouth, Brighton, Wolves etc we were so far ahead of them yet they are now Premier League clubs.

5) The first season back in division one with John Gregory and massively underperforming. We should of smashed it that year with our squad but we were rubbish, and that led to our misery.

Archived