Holiday plans 2020

Boycie

2 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Most people are talking about holidays they have already booked pre-C19!

I'm not holding out much hope for a foreign holiday this year, but I see Easyjet are saying they will leave the middle seat vacant to encourage people to fly.

So what's that?  700mm(?) from the next seat, or across the aisle?  Probably even less to the person in front and behind?  Roughly a third of the current advertised "safe distance".  Anyone tempted to go along with that this side of Christmas must be loopy, regardless of when any restrictions get lifted!

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

So what's that?  700mm(?) from the next seat, or across the aisle?  Probably even less to the person in front and behind?  Roughly a third of the current advertised "safe distance".  Anyone tempted to go along with that this side of Christmas must be loopy, regardless of when any restrictions get lifted!

Maybe so but it makes flights with the wife a bit more bearable 

1 hour ago, Mucker1884 said:

Maybe if they drop the oxygen masks down upon boarding it would be ok?

2 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

Pah! If you could get in anywhere I'd go.

My holiday (a cruise)has just been cancelled, offer of full value voucher +25% discount for next year, or money back! Next year I'll be another year more vulnerable (if I even make it that far), they may go bust. So I've gone for my money back. Supposed to take 2 weeks, they say 2 months possibly.

We await the cheque!

31 minutes ago, FindernRam said:

My holiday (a cruise)has just been cancelled, offer of full value voucher +25% discount for next year, or money back! Next year I'll be another year more vulnerable (if I even make it that far), they may go bust. So I've gone for my money back. Supposed to take 2 weeks, they say 2 months possibly.

We await the cheque!

I think I would have as well. Although, if the company goes bust you’d be covered by your credit card (if you paid by one) and, in some circumstances, cruises are covered by ATOL.

1 hour ago, FindernRam said:

We await the cheque!

When was your cruise booked for and who with? Ours is the second week of August but haven't heard anything yet.

3 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

I think I would have as well. Although, if the company goes bust you’d be covered by your credit card (if you paid by one) and, in some circumstances, cruises are covered by ATOL.

I paid by card for the original booking, but I was concerned going the voucher route may well negate that; as effectively Princess delivered vouchers for the money, which I accepted. Decided simplest was best.

On 16/04/2020 at 14:51, TramRam said:

I hate flying and very uncomfortable when the weather gets past 20c, So this last 5 years I've stayed in the UK, Booked a week in Ambleside(Lake District)in mid June, Got an email last week to say they were hoping for all to be clear by then so bookings still OK.

I book through Booking.com, I have until 3 days before to cancel and no penalty to pay...can't see the all clear by then ?

I would cancel and get your money back. You can always re book if things suddenly pick up.

1 hour ago, sage said:

I would cancel and get your money back. You can always re book if things suddenly pick up.

Thanks, But when I book it's either non payment untill you get there, Or it's taken out of my account 3 days before, So I can cancel without charge up until mid June, In all honesty, I'll expect an email to say all cancelled due to Covid-19.

Just now, TramRam said:

Thanks, But when I book it's either non payment untill you get there, Or it's taken out of my account 3 days before, So I can cancel without charge up until mid June, In all honesty, I'll expect an email to say all cancelled due to Covid-19.

Sorry I read it as you had to cancel in the next 3 days. 

4 hours ago, richinspain said:

Ours is with Royal Caribbean. The next instalment is due in June, so I suppose they will advise us then.

They'll advise you further just after they've taken the next installment.

6 hours ago, Malagaram said:

When the 2nd wave kicks in who is going to get you home,fools

Precisely.

We're lucky as all we actually have booked and paid for is £180 Eurotunnel for early June... and that can be date-transferred any time up until next March (12 months from original booking date).  We planned for both of our main 2 week holidays (June & Sept) to be in our own car, with our own tent and bikes, and in all or any of France/Belgium/Holland.  We don't need to pre-book any campsites... in fact we don't normally pay until we depart!

We're also lucky in that our only flights planned for this year have already been taken in January, when we squeezed in a week in Nerja, Spain.

Regardless of if and when any travel restrictions are relaxed, and regardless of how safe or not the experts say it is to travel abroad, I seriously doubt we'll be bothering with the above plan this year.  We may well lose out on that Eurotunnel ticket, put that's an extremely small price to pay! 
(We may be persuaded to take a short winter City break early next year (Very few campsites open early in the year, but could be open to a City Break to Bruges or similar, should all be deemed safe next Jan-March, but I really can't see us being tempted that early!). 

At best, we'll be camping in the UK this year now.  Truthfully, I can't even see that happening though, as things stand.

An acquaintance of mine is holed up in SE Spain, "Unable to get back".
OK, they're retired, and reasonably well off.  They left UK on 4th Feb, for a planned 6 weeks-ish.  Ferry and own car/drive/private villa rental.  By the time all kicked off, they couldn't get back.  Cancelled ferries etc.  Quickly followed by closed borders/travel permits/closed hotels etc, so couldn't even drive back to Eurotunnel.
Ferry got re-booked for April 7th... which got cancelled.  They then managed to get booked on a flight to Manchester... plus 6 months Spanish airport parking, with a view to flying back to fetch the car later in the year!... but that got cancelled the day before. 
They managed to re-book ferry for April 23rd, but that has now been put back until 30th.  Good chance that won't happen either, I'd have thought!

Luckily the villa rental was and has remained vacant for them to keep extending their stay, and money doesn't appear to be a problem.

Don't get me wrong, they are in a quiet area (even by normal standards), away from big towns/cities, and are coping well with the restrictions, and have managed to keep up with the food shopping etc.  They don't appear to be panicking, and are "seeing" family back home via video calls.  
And yes... maybe they didn't try as hard as some, to get back home, when all this started to kick off!

But I'd imagine most/many would find that somewhat stressful!  If we have to be stranded, I'd rather it be at home!

Archived