Holiday plans 2020

Boycie

16 minutes ago, reverendo de duivel said:

Hmm tough one.

I don't think you'd get away with isolating away from home to take proper care of your Belgian youngster's.

I was hoping to pay a visit to the St Austell Brewery shop, but they aren't brewing my favourites of theirs (Sayzon, Bad Habit and Cardinal Syn) at the moment. I wanted to pick a couple of crates of each up.

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

I took the punt and moved my flights to September in good faith and hope things will be okay. Was meant to fly to Crete on 12th. 

2 hours ago, reverendo de duivel said:

Going for a week in Paphos Sept with the same company, but booked as a package, hopefully should be ok to go by then.

If not it will be interesting to see any difference between flight only and package holiday bookings.

Are you both prepared to stop at home for 2 weeks on your return? Or have they given a clue about how long the restrictions are on for?

1 hour ago, Boycie said:

Are you both prepared to stop at home for 2 weeks on your return? Or have they given a clue about how long the restrictions are on for?

I'd quite happily stop there permanently.

4 hours ago, reverendo de duivel said:

Going for a week in Paphos Sept with the same company, but booked as a package, hopefully should be ok to go by then.

If not it will be interesting to see any difference between flight only and package holiday bookings.

Even if you are all inclusive, head down to this place. We went for a lunch and it was pretty quiet. There is a set price and they just keep bringing course after course until you can't eat anymore.

The desserts were then incredible.

Can't remember the cost but it was incredible value.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g190384-d1173045-Reviews-7_St_Georges_Tavern-Paphos_Paphos_District.html

1 hour ago, Boycie said:

There will be an “air bridge” deal struck between UK and Greece by early July. 

18 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Even if you are all inclusive, head down to this place. We went for a lunch and it was pretty quiet. There is a set price and they just keep bringing course after course until you can't eat anymore.

The desserts were then incredible.

Can't remember the cost but it was incredible value.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g190384-d1173045-Reviews-7_St_Georges_Tavern-Paphos_Paphos_District.html

Stopping at the end of the road, will definitely check it out, sounds perfect!

Cheers.

2 hours ago, Eddie said:

I was hoping to pay a visit to the St Austell Brewery shop, but they aren't brewing my favourites of theirs (Sayzon, Bad Habit and Cardinal Syn) at the moment. I wanted to pick a couple of crates of each up.

We paid a visit there when staying in a cottage in Saint Blazey Gate, also visited the Eden project a Monkey zoo,  And got Slaughted in Fowey on a pub crawl.

9 hours ago, Paul71 said:

how is everyone finding booking companies and travel companies for holidays and hotels they had booked ?

found most to be excellent with the exception of last minute.com who have been shocking.

Had BA vouchers valid for 12 months for Easter break I’d booked to Germany, kind of fair enough as I was using Airmiles I’d saved anyway.

Was supposed to go to Skiatos this week but had a Jet2 refund and I’d got a holiday booked where I was due to pay a lot of money 2 weeks back for a Rhodes from mid July to mid August, so just opted to forfeit the near £400 deposit and cancelled myself; the wife said no way was she flying this summer, so I didn’t fancy any hassle over the money. Small price to pay I figured.

So done loads of d.i.y and all the poo the missus would ask, banked multiple brownie points for other times and expect lots of rural walks this year. Be nice if I could get a holiday cottage late August, the wife is so O.C.D that once ahe gets her marigolds on no germs would stand a chance. Best I’m expecting this year.

21 minutes ago, TramRam said:

We paid a visit there when staying in a cottage in Saint Blazey Gate, also visited the Eden project a Monkey zoo,  And got Slaughted in Fowey on a pub crawl.

We had a few in Fowey last year in a pub called The Ship. The beer wasn't memorable, but the seafood was.

St Austell Brewery is a good place to spend a few hours. Sooo many good beers.

6 hours ago, reverendo de duivel said:

Had flight cancelled by Jet2.

Due to leave Friday coming, have already received the refund without asking.

And that type of PR move will no doubt make you book with them again. That’s excellent customer service.

Irish Ferries - took 8 days from my email to confirm a credit on my account (which is what I asked for).

3 minutes ago, Eddie said:

We had a few in Fowey last year in a pub called The Ship. The beer wasn't memorable, but the seafood was.

St Austell Brewery is a good place to spend a few hours. Sooo many good beers.

The Ship, Was that the pub near the harbour, Climbed a set of steps to get in?, I'm a lager man I don't like dark ales, More of a social drinker now, But the Daughters fella likes his ale so we went for a mooch around inside, Did a couple of boozers in St Austell...my the locals are a different breed.

On 24/05/2020 at 21:43, TramRam said:

The Ship, Was that the pub near the harbour, Climbed a set of steps to get in?, I'm a lager man I don't like dark ales, More of a social drinker now, But the Daughters fella likes his ale so we went for a mooch around inside, Did a couple of boozers in St Austell...my the locals are a different breed.

No, it's on a narrow side street about 100 yards back from the harbour.

22 hours ago, Eddie said:

No, it's on a narrow side street about 100 yards back from the harbour.

This is the one I was talking about, Spent most of the evening in there after trawling the high street and back streets.

91937351-5d8b-4abc-b44f-505eba0960c7-l.j

On 28/05/2020 at 11:19, TramRam said:

This is the one I was talking about, Spent most of the evening in there after trawling the high street and back streets.

91937351-5d8b-4abc-b44f-505eba0960c7-l.j

No, the day we were there somebody collapsed outside the pub, and there was an ambulance parked across the entrance. We decided to walk to Readymoney Cove and St Catherine's Castle instead.

Can't help with cancelled accommodation/flights/cruises/hotels etc, but, for anyone booked to jump on Eurotunnel anytime soon, I have good news...

I booked on 9th March 2020, to travel out June 13th 2020 and return on 27th.
Standard Booking conditions dictate that should I require/desire, I can amend that booking (before the due departure date/time, of course) to a later date, up to 12 months from the original booking date, so effectively I could have changed the booking "Free of charge"* to travel any time before March 8th 2021. 

*(No admin fees.  No rebate if the subsequent trip is cheaper, but pay the difference if it costs more).

As well as June, we were also planning on going back in September, so wasn't initially concerned about losing a crossing, (as we could amend it to then) but as the virus lingers, we have recently decided that, whatever the restrictions, and however CV19 is performing come September, we don't really fancy it. 
The slight niggle being that, as we go for the camping, most French campsites are closed from late September to March/April time anyway, so that's half of my "allotted 12 month leeway" virtually negated straight away!

However... After a tip off from elsewhere... I have Good news...

(I tried to call them a few weeks back... recorded message said not to contact them until within 2 weeks of booked travel date)...

I called them today.  (01303 282 061).

They have cancelled my bookings for June 13th/27th 2020, and given me a voucher number verbally (to be confirmed on Email today/tomorrow).
The voucher is for the same monetary value as the original booking (£180 in our case).
The voucher cannot be used towards pet travel or insurance (neither affect us).
The voucher is valid for a booking date for 12 months from today (expires after 31st May 2021).  Booking as late as that, and with the standard booking terms allowing the aforementioned amendments, that effectively allows travel dates between tomorrow and late May 2022!

I appreciate it's "Only a cash value voucher", but bearing in mind that, unlike airlines and hotels etc, Eurotunnel have continued to operate throughout the past few months, and I'd like to think that next years prices aren't likely to be hiked up as much as the airlines/hotels/holiday co's etc.  Finger's crossed!

I could be wrong of course, but as Eurotunnel are no more to blame for this virus than I am, and that this was the only holiday component we had booked and paid for (We just turn up at the camp site(s) and pay on departure), I'm more than happy with the outcome.

Assuming we continue our plan NOT to travel in September, we're likely to try again next May/June, but with things still as uncertain as they currently are, it's nice to have that 2 year cushion.

? to Eurotunnel, I say.  Good on 'em!

?

3 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

Can't help with cancelled accommodation/flights/cruises/hotels etc, but, for anyone booked to jump on Eurotunnel anytime soon, I have good news...

I booked on 9th March 2020, to travel out June 13th 2020 and return on 27th.
Standard Booking conditions dictate that should I require/desire, I can amend that booking (before the due departure date/time, of course) to a later date, up to 12 months from the original booking date, so effectively I could have changed the booking "Free of charge"* to travel any time before March 8th 2021. 

*(No admin fees.  No rebate if the subsequent trip is cheaper, but pay the difference if it costs more).

As well as June, we were also planning on going back in September, so wasn't initially concerned about losing a crossing, (as we could amend it to then) but as the virus lingers, we have recently decided that, whatever the restrictions, and however CV19 is performing come September, we don't really fancy it. 
The slight niggle being that, as we go for the camping, most French campsites are closed from late September to March/April time anyway, so that's half of my "allotted 12 month leeway" virtually negated straight away!

However... After a tip off from elsewhere... I have Good news...

(I tried to call them a few weeks back... recorded message said not to contact them until within 2 weeks of booked travel date)...

I called them today.  (01303 282 061).

They have cancelled my bookings for June 13th/27th 2020, and given me a voucher number verbally (to be confirmed on Email today/tomorrow).
The voucher is for the same monetary value as the original booking (£180 in our case).
The voucher cannot be used towards pet travel or insurance (neither affect us).
The voucher is valid for a booking date for 12 months from today (expires after 31st May 2021).  Booking as late as that, and with the standard booking terms allowing the aforementioned amendments, that effectively allows travel dates between tomorrow and late May 2022!

I appreciate it's "Only a cash value voucher", but bearing in mind that, unlike airlines and hotels etc, Eurotunnel have continued to operate throughout the past few months, and I'd like to think that next years prices aren't likely to be hiked up as much as the airlines/hotels/holiday co's etc.  Finger's crossed!

I could be wrong of course, but as Eurotunnel are no more to blame for this virus than I am, and that this was the only holiday component we had booked and paid for (We just turn up at the camp site(s) and pay on departure), I'm more than happy with the outcome.

Assuming we continue our plan NOT to travel in September, we're likely to try again next May/June, but with things still as uncertain as they currently are, it's nice to have that 2 year cushion.

? to Eurotunnel, I say.  Good on 'em!

?

Yep Irish Ferries have done the same for us.

I now need to convince Stena Line to do similar for an August booking because we won’t have a passport in time for the little one.

Also need to see if Eurocamp will let us transfer our booking to 2021 and accept payment of balance next year although happy to pay that immediately if need be.

Archived