Holiday plans 2020

Boycie

6 hours ago, ilkleyram said:

Bit surprised that they told you that they were a virgin. Perhaps they hadn’t made that sort of call before. 

I think what they actually said was "Hi.  I don't know how to tell you this, as I haven't done this before, but I have to inform you that we are cancelling your holiday, and we ain't giving you a refund, so consider yourself well and truly ducked"!  ?

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My annual travel policy has been updated to exclude cover for the virus. My Sri Lanka flights got deferred to late October so if that cover isn't reinstated I'm going nowhere. Not that I was 100% comfortable about going anyway. 

Any chance of being going abroad this year is slight and will involve driving through the Channel Tunnel late this year and staying in a cottage somewhere. 

1 hour ago, sage said:

My annual travel policy has been updated to exclude cover for the virus. My Sri Lanka flights got deferred to late October so if that cover isn't reinstated I'm going nowhere. Not that I was 100% comfortable about going anyway. 

Any chance of being going abroad this year is slight and will involve driving through the Channel Tunnel late this year and staying in a cottage somewhere. 

I guess it depends on who you're insured with.

Here is an extract from Q&A's regarding my annual cover that says I would still be covered for cancellations (but not if I just accept an open ticket). I'm not sure what the position would be though if the FCO allowed us to travel. Could I still cancel (I don't think so as I think the policy document says the FCO advice has to be in force within 28 days of the trip) so if I did go, would I be covered for CV whilst I'm away?

image.png.05826daa40f57b8aae5e9fddd2a2b5cf.png

If the FCO advice is lifted I wouldn't be surprised to see the cover reinstated though.

1 minute ago, Tamworthram said:

I guess it depends on who you're insured with.

Here is an extract from Q&A's regarding my annual cover that says I would still be covered for cancellations (but not if I just accept an open ticket). I'm not sure what the position would be though if the FCO allowed us to travel. Could I still cancel (I don't think so as I think the policy document says the FCO advice has to be in force within 28 days of the trip) so if I did go, would I be covered for CV whilst I'm away?

image.png.05826daa40f57b8aae5e9fddd2a2b5cf.png

If the FCO advice is lifted I wouldn't be surprised to see the cover reinstated though.

sorry I missed a word out. I am not covered for medical costs due to coronavirus

• 2 weeks later...
Sith Happens

how is everyone finding booking companies and travel companies for holidays and hotels they had booked ?

found most to be excellent with the exception of last minute.com who have been shocking.

8 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

how is everyone finding booking companies and travel companies for holidays and hotels they had booked ?

found most to be excellent with the exception of last minute.com who have been shocking.

Mixed.

Alamo car hire: Excellent. Cancelled on line and refund received within two days.

Disney tickets: Excellent. Cancelled via Email and, whilst they were not obliged to, full refund received within three days

Virgin Atlantic: Early days, expectations very low. Cancelled via Facebook Messenger. Confirmation received but not holding my breath for a speedy refund

Airport parking at Manchester: Average. Cancelled by them but could take 30 days to refund

Private villa hire: same one as we go to every time so we know them well. Not expecting or receiving a refund (but they have given us first refusal on same dates next year) so requires a travel insurance claim. Submitted a week and a half ago but expecting to wait probably another couple of weeks or longer. Expectations in terms of the insurance company - “OK”

18 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

TUI been ok, but that’s because I refused to pay anything other than deposit.

They’ve offered me to change my holiday dates now for the same value. Only problem is the same holiday for the same dates next year has now doubled, so it’s a little bit sneaky from them.

Sith Happens
Just now, Tamworthram said:

Mixed.

Alamo car hire: Excellent. Cancelled on line and refund received within two days.

Disney tickets: Excellent. Cancelled via Email and, whilst they were not obliged to, full refund received within three days

Virgin Atlantic: Early days, expectations very low. Cancelled via Facebook Messenger. Confirmation received but not holding my breath for a speedy refund

Airport parking at Manchester: Average. Cancelled by them but could take 30 days to refund

Private villa hire: same one as we go to every time so we know them well. Not expecting or receiving a refund (but they have given us first refusal on same dates next year) so requires a travel insurance claim. Submitted a week and a half ago but expecting to wait probably another couple of weeks or longer. Expectations in terms of the insurance company - “OK”

we potentially have that with private hire of farm house in France,  balance to pay in a few weeks so leaving it before I contact them as hoping we can still go.

Sith Happens
1 minute ago, Mckram said:

TUI been ok, but that’s because I refused to pay anything other than deposit.

They’ve offered me to change my holiday dates now for the same value. Only problem is the same holiday for the same dates next year has now doubled, so it’s a little bit sneaky from them.

we had our holiday to Maldives cancelled with kuoni and they have rebooked for next year for us for exactly same price. 

will be interesting to see as time goes by if holidays next year are more expensive as companies try and recoup losses or if they go down as public confidence remains low and they don't travel in the same numbers 

1 minute ago, Paul71 said:

we had our holiday to Maldives cancelled with kuoni and they have rebooked for next year for us for exactly same price. 

will be interesting to see as time goes by if holidays next year are more expensive as companies try and recoup losses or if they go down as public confidence remains low and they don't travel in the same numbers 

Good that Kuoni have done that and I was hoping TUI would do the same, but seems like they are trying to recoup some of the lost money through early bookers at the minute.

I’ll not be booking with TUI unless they do it for the same money though. Otherwise I’ll just wait for a last minute deal next year when they’re desperate for the cash again!

Sith Happens
Just now, Mckram said:

Good that Kuoni have done that and I was hoping TUI would do the same, but seems like they are trying to recoup some of the lost money through early bookers at the minute.

I’ll not be booking with TUI unless they do it for the same money though. Otherwise I’ll just wait for a last minute deal next year when they’re desperate for the cash again!

fingers crossed.  

I'm prepared to accept some financial loss, but you are right to be annoyed that the best they can offer is double the cost. 

14 minutes ago, Mckram said:

My daughters and her husbands holiday to Jamaica with TUI was cancelled (should have gone three weeks ago). I think they have offered them some kind of voucher for next year (I may have got that wrong but I don’t think so) which means they would have to pay the difference if/when prices go up. I think there may be an issue with such vouchers as well in terms of ABTA and credit cover if TUI went bust. 

23 minutes ago, reverendo de duivel said:

Had flight cancelled by Jet2.

Due to leave Friday coming, have already received the refund without asking.

I took the punt and moved my flights to September in good faith and hope things will be okay. Was meant to fly to Crete on 12th. 

35 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

I took the punt and moved my flights to September in good faith and hope things will be okay. Was meant to fly to Crete on 12th. 

Going for a week in Paphos Sept with the same company, but booked as a package, hopefully should be ok to go by then.

If not it will be interesting to see any difference between flight only and package holiday bookings.

I'm still in limbo, but not really worried one way or the other.

Last September, I booked a holiday in Cornwall for the third week of July, and I paid for it there and then. It's a tiny 2 room hotel, and so far, it's still on. Now I know the people who run the place, we've stayed there before and we look upon them as friends, and if it's not possible to go at that time, they can re-schedule me for any time and we will be happy to go along with that. It doesn't matter to me if pubs and restaurants are open or not. I can always take a couple of crates with us. If the hotels have been allowed to open, of course. I suppose that's now looking a reasonable possibility - unless, of course, I am 'advised for my own good' not to go. Not sure what I will do in those circumstances - play the Cummings card, or be socially responsible?

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

I'm still in limbo, but not really worried one way or the other.

Last September, I booked a holiday in Cornwall for the third week of July, and I paid for it there and then. It's a tiny 2 room hotel, and so far, it's still on. Now I know the people who run the place, we've stayed there before and we look upon them as friends, and if it's not possible to go at that time, they can re-schedule me for any time and we will be happy to go along with that. It doesn't matter to me if pubs and restaurants are open or not. I can always take a couple of crates with us. If the hotels have been allowed to open, of course. I suppose that's now looking a reasonable possibility - unless, of course, I am 'advised for my own good' not to go. Not sure what I will do in those circumstances - play the Cummings card, or be socially responsible?

Hmm tough one.

I don't think you'd get away with isolating away from home to take proper care of your Belgian youngster's.

Archived