Holiday plans 2020

Boycie

We’re booked for Florida from 30th May. Virgin told us last week the flight had been cancelled. When I queried it (via Facebook messenger) they admitted they’d made a mistake and, at the moment the flight is still on (I’m still pretty sure it will still be cancelled). They’ve told me about their error but nobody else that may have had the erroneous message (even though I suggested they should) including my daughter on the same flight.

What worries me the most though is if the orange man, in his infinite wisdom, decides to declare the US back open for business and bullies the FO to lift their advice regarding travelling to the US prematurely. Assuming Virgin resume flights, what do we do? Go on holiday (six weeks from now still feels a bit too soon to me) or, not go and lose everything? 

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sith Happens
31 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

We’re booked for Florida from 30th May. Virgin told us last week the flight had been cancelled. When I queried it (via Facebook messenger) they admitted they’d made a mistake and, at the moment the flight is still on (I’m still pretty sure it will still be cancelled). They’ve told me about their error but nobody else that may have had the erroneous message (even though I suggested they should) including my daughter on the same flight.

What worries me the most though is if the orange man, in his infinite wisdom, decides to declare the US back open for business and bullies the FO to lift their advice regarding travelling to the US prematurely. Assuming Virgin resume flights, what do we do? Go on holiday (six weeks from now still feels a bit too soon to me) or, not go and lose everything? 

That is going to be the conundrum for many i think, as the world attempts to re-open do we take the risk. Personally would be amazed if that goes ahead but who knows.

Sith Happens

We are due to go to france end of august/beginning of september. Taking my parents.

Will be interesting to see if can go, we have a farmhouse booked in the middle of nowhere, a supermarket local that does click and collect, so we could quite easily spend the week in relative isolation. The tricky bit is getting there, travel by tunnel then the drive for 5 hours the other side.

Hoping 4 months away we can go.

4 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

We are due to go to france end of august/beginning of september. Taking my parents.

Will be interesting to see if can go, we have a farmhouse booked in the middle of nowhere, a supermarket local that does click and collect, so we could quite easily spend the week in relative isolation. The tricky bit is getting there, travel by tunnel then the drive for 5 hours the other side.

You got a spare seat ?

1 hour ago, Paul71 said:

Just swim then. You've got a few months to train. If not, canoe might be easier.

Offer is appreciated ?...But my plans once this virus is over is hopefully to move, 64 years Born and Bred in Derby, Now circumstanes say I can move to what I've been looking for for 5 years, This place is on the market, 10min drive from the Lake District and 15min drive from the Irish sea, In a place that I think I could see out my remaining years on my own, And surrounded by SPACE ☺️.

Just hope it's still there...if and when things look up ?

image.png.e222902c481963f6344fa5a01628ac99.png

image.png.076809a3dfd7c1578eaebda0803aaf04.png

And maybe get myself one of these.

1dab5dabf48d3a9f52fa7fa2c17f9196--border

Sith Happens
16 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Just swim then. You've got a few months to train. If not, canoe might be easier.

I've got a dinghy somewhere. 

3 hours ago, Paul71 said:

If you can, and you must, I'd have thought that's by far the best way to get abroad than any other option!

Own car all the way! No queuing on foot (in person... next to others).  No need to exit the car on the train and/or at the terminal, so no mingling with others.  No airports!  No railway platforms!  It's as good as it can be!
We do it, and other than toilet stops, fuel, and campsite reception, we could avoid others, if need be!  Obviously there's passport control (from the car).
Easy to divert (From the Autoroute, if using that) to village/small town public loo's, shops, and quieter (and cheaper) supermarket fuel stations, so no need to stop at main motorway services.  (We do have a camping fridge and food cupboard on board though, so we happily survive on "picnic food" for the journey and stop at the Autoroute Picnic Area type "Aires".  (usually 2 nights/3 days travel to Med or Landes/SW Coast).

Let's hope we're back to normal by September (I'm not counting on it though!).  I'll see you over there!  ??

5 hours ago, Paul71 said:

Based on my experience of driving in France (quite a lot), even the five hour drive the other side is relatively isolated provided you can avoid Paris. 

Sith Happens
4 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Based on my experience of driving in France (quite a lot), even the five hour drive the other side is relatively isolated provided you can avoid Paris. 

Yeah and you have got good spots to stop for loo breaks, you dont have to stop at services they have some that are pretty much just toilets and a for picnic benchs etc.

Getting to Folkestone is the tricky part too mind. Case of doing homework and finding quieter places to stop for loo breaks i think if we go.  Would only contemplate if we are allowed to do so legally.

5 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Yeah and you have got good spots to stop for loo breaks, you dont have to stop at services they have some that are pretty much just toilets and a for picnic benchs etc.

Getting to Folkestone is the tricky part too mind. Case of doing homework and finding quieter places to stop for loo breaks i think if we go.  Would only contemplate if we are allowed to do so legally.

Of course. The travel insurance won’t be valid if you can’t go legally.

We’ve been down to the Jura several times and that’s about a six hour drive. As you say, getting to Folkestone is by far the worst part of the journey. I’m tempted to book and risk losing the deposit whilst there is still availability.

Sith Happens
4 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Of course. The travel insurance won’t be valid if you can’t go legally.

We’ve been down to the Jura several times and that’s about a six hour drive. As you say, getting to Folkestone is by far the worst part of the journey. I’m tempted to book and risk losing the deposit whilst there is still availability.

Its certainly a better option than an all in hotel or something like that somewhere really busy.

If we go we normally go the night before and stop over ready for an early train, but might just accept the large amount of driving and drive through the night to folkestone, easily can cut a couple of hours off your journey.

I should of been in London this weekend with a mate.

Got National express and train tickets refunded.

As I booked the saver rate at two London travelodges they’ll only give vouchers.

I understand there’s no refunds on saver rates normally, but that’s if you cancel. Not if they cancel! Pig dogs.

On 18/04/2020 at 11:52, TramRam said:

Offer is appreciated ?...But my plans once this virus is over is hopefully to move, 64 years Born and Bred in Derby, Now circumstanes say I can move to what I've been looking for for 5 years, This place is on the market, 10min drive from the Lake District and 15min drive from the Irish sea, In a place that I think I could see out my remaining years on my own, And surrounded by SPACE ☺️.

Just hope it's still there...if and when things look up ?

image.png.e222902c481963f6344fa5a01628ac99.png

image.png.076809a3dfd7c1578eaebda0803aaf04.png

And maybe get myself one of these.

1dab5dabf48d3a9f52fa7fa2c17f9196--border

Too green.. 

16 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

Too green.. 

As in Country side?

You City folk would struggle there, Far to quiet, My Son rented in Clapham and Willesden Green before buying in Enfield Wash, We'd visit 4/5 times a year, Often when Derby were playing away we'd go and watch Barnet at Underhill when down there.

London is far far to busy for me now, Even then I couldn't get to grips with it, He's now back in Derby with partner and kids, After the riots a few years back on the park across from his house there was 3 murders within a week, He'd had enough, He still works for the same company in London they're on Oxford Street, But now works from home.

Archived