Birkir Bjarnason - Joined Al-Arabi

JfR

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can’t say I’ve seen a lot of him, but he’s played at a High level and has a decent rep. Played a fair bit for villa as well which is no mean feat given they had about 2000 central midfielders. Think we definitely need some bodies in after this weeks events to ease the pressure on certain players, so would be looking at signing some free agents for the short term. This one looks a decent option, though I’d prioritise a wide man if we see Paterson as a CM now.

50 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

@ramit absolutely loves this bloke. Not sure what went wrong at Villa.

Thanks for the heads up.

Yes i do.  Villa didn't use him correctly, his best position being ML or AML.  Birkir is a soft spoken easy going guy off the pitch but an aggressive, competitive strong willed player on the field with a very good engine.  The Icelandic national team would be much poorer without him and even now having been without a team for some time he is always picked into the squad, which tells a story in itself.  He tracks back well, is a team player, likes to run up the line and then cut inside to take on his man, look for a pass or to shoot at goal, has a knack of being in the right place at the right time and score important goals. 

Needless to say i would be over the moon if Derby sign him and then play him to his strengths.

54 minutes ago, ramit said:

Thanks for the heads up.

Yes i do.  Villa didn't use him correctly, his best position being ML or AML.  Birkir is a soft spoken easy going guy off the pitch but an aggressive, competitive strong willed player on the field with a very good engine.  The Icelandic national team would be much poorer without him and even now having been without a team for some time he is always picked into the squad, which tells a story in itself.  He tracks back well, is a team player, likes to run up the line and then cut inside to take on his man, look for a pass or to shoot at goal, has a knack of being in the right place at the right time and score important goals. 

Needless to say i would be over the moon if Derby sign him and then play him to his strengths.

Left midfield (ML) or attacking left midfielder (AML). Sorry if I'm being stupid, it's Sunday and I'm resting my brain!

1 hour ago, ramit said:

Thanks for the heads up.

Makes more sense reading this, if he’s better on the left. Sounds like pretty much the exact type of player I described us needing in the other thread.

1 hour ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Poor Birkir - a choice between us, Smoke on Stench or a dreary German City which has Nazi connotations.

If he comes to us, promise not to say he looks like a letterbox.....?

A certain modeling agency seems to go for the letterbox look

i understand his good looks are wasted on you, but he is popular with the wives ?

https://icelandmag.is/article/fans-swoon-over-footballers-good-looks-birkir-bjarnason-dubbed-footballs-hottest-viking

We need something, plus he had a pretty good reputation prior to Villa. It's not like he was terrible there either, just a victim of numerous options and a lack of consistent game time. I also remember him to be a fairly reliable versatile option. A short term deal could suit all parties. 

Archived