Barnsley (A) Match Thread

Bwash_Ram

1 hour ago, ramjit said:

How did Lawrence play last night?honest question.i would of kept the same team from Saturday,did tom do enough to justify picking him.

58 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Rubbish. His usual self, careless on the ball, no quality, too weak etc. The only thing he did well was to fall over in the box and win us a penalty.

Disagree. I thought he played reasonably, did the simple things well and won the penalty. A 6.5 or a 7 out of 10.

• Replies 972
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, atherstoneram said:

Not having a pop at you at all but in my eyes he shouldn't be getting support from fans, others think different,that's their view.I will support him on the pitch for the football he plays. What he does off the pitch is of no concern to me so therefore shouldn't expect my support.

After 40 odd years supporting the Rams it doesn't need explaining at all. I have no affinity with the players that i love them for how good or otherwise they are. They are paid to play and i pay to watch, they are just players who at this moment in time are playing for Derby, that's as far as it goes. Players come and sometimes give a good account of themselves then they go and replaced by other players.

All well and good but my post did not suggest that you or anyone else should 'love' them, only that fans might have been singing 'he's one of our own' to express support rather then the reason offered by another poster.

Just seen that the Barnsley fan that medics were attending to last night during the second half passed away.

Must be awful. Crazy it happened 12months after the air ambulance landed during the Burton game at Oakwell and the announcement pre-match about the amazing money raised for the air ambulance.

56 minutes ago, PodgeyRam said:

Duane's a good egg isn't he. Lampard's best pound for pound signing. 

His best position I feel is further forward and not as a CM

Cant wait for us to sign a good cm so he can displace lawrence once and for all in the team

Thought of Martin Rooney, waghorn and holmes playing all together in the final third gets me excited

Crying out for a quality centre midfielder in my eyes. We’re getting a lot of ‘ok’ performances at the minute. Missing that 9/10 player that’s going to win you games. Saying that, if we’d have had Marriott to bring on last night when we were hitting them on the counter, we’d have brought the 3 points home 

10 hours ago, Davide said:

Carson is the best keeper Derby have had in a long time. Can’t believe he isn’t here playing

Totally agree but Even if they wanted a footballing goalkeeper get granty back on loan at least you feel comfortable thats he can do both sides of keeping 

5 minutes ago, Dcfcsr92 said:

Totally agree but Even if they wanted a footballing goalkeeper get granty back on loan at least you feel comfortable thats he can do both sides of keeping 

Not a fan of Roos but Lee Grant?! Best paid volleyball player in the world. 

8 hours ago, erathirea said:

Objective decision time:

Roos: 7 - No chance with either goal. One punch towards the end when he could have collected, but otherwise made a few smart saves and commanded the area better claiming several crosses.

Bogle: 6 - Think he lacked a little match sharpness - few things he tried he wasn't quite getting the ball in the right places and didn't provide as much threat as normal. Let's put that down to coming back from injury

Lowe: 7 - Solid threat down the left and linked well with Paterson and Lawrence. Reasonable defensive display

Bielik: 7 - Game of two halves - first half thought he was caught out of position a couple of times, but second half looked a lot better. Clearly a player with a lot of class and sometimes a step or two too far ahead. Linked play up well

Davies: 7 - Typical Davies display

Huddlestone: 7 - Didn't do anything wrong - looked settled and composed, and was the one filling in when Kristian wandered out of position. Good penalty

Holmes: 8 - Good evening - looked dangerous and kept on finding little spaces - final ball was occasionally not *quite* on the money, but that wasn't always his fault

Paterson: 8 - See Holmes

Lawrence: 7 - Played "his game" pretty well. Kept taking on players - sometimes got past them, sometimes didn't, won a penalty, played some nice football and probably should have scored. Got his head down and got on with it pretty well under the circumstances.

Waghorn: 6 - Not a good game last night. Didn't really impact play as much as he would have liked, in fact his main contributions were defensive. Almost like he didn't have the right studs on.

Martin: 7.5 - Alert when Barnsley weren't to nick a goal, and did the hold up play very well- probably could have had a couple of assists on another day. Only minor concern was the old "frustrated" side of him started to come out a bit just before he got subbed.

Subs:

Clarke: 7 - Thought he looked good when he came on - worth noting that whilst their goal came from a set piece, it wasn't from a cross - think we looked a lot more solid at set plays with him and Davies at CB.

Knight: 6 - Not enough time to make a real impact

Bennett: N/A - Didn't touch the ball.

Cocu: 6.5 - Made the right call at half time to bring on Clarke and push up Bielik (think that's how we'll start at the back on Saturday, and I'm ok with that). Think he should have brought on Knight a bit sooner (and for Waggers), and very much question bringing on Bennett with 5 minutes left when you're trying to see out a result. 

Overall: Fairly happy with the performance. We tried to play some good football, and whilst it didn't always come off, there were the flashes of brilliance in there. Few nice partnerships developing in the middle of the park, and the signs were promising. Barnsley's main threat came from set pieces- we were very good at breaking up the play when they came forward otherwise, but even their set piece threat dropped once we had Clarke and Davies in there together.

Lawrence probs a 6/6.5 very quietfor large periods of the game and cocu i thought the subs were stupid! Bennett or zoon should of been on when knight came on  and knight or dowell should of come on towards the end to try and see the game out! I would of gone more defensive with the amount of pressure we were under drop bielik back so it was a 5 Lawrence or waghorn off as they were both blowing out their arses and got another midfielder in there instead of holmes coming  off for an attacking player silly

4 minutes ago, Dimmu said:

Not a fan of Roos but Lee Grant?! Best paid volleyball player in the world. 

Yes not the best at commanding but if they want a keeper who can play football hes better with his feet hes a fantastic shot stopper and when he comes to ounch at least you feel like hes going to get there roos 8/10 times runs the wrong way or about a goals width away from the ball! 

11 hours ago, erathirea said:

Objective decision time:

Roos: 7 - No chance with either goal. One punch towards the end when he could have collected, but otherwise made a few smart saves and commanded the area better claiming several crosses.

Bogle: 6 - Think he lacked a little match sharpness - few things he tried he wasn't quite getting the ball in the right places and didn't provide as much threat as normal. Let's put that down to coming back from injury

Lowe: 7 - Solid threat down the left and linked well with Paterson and Lawrence. Reasonable defensive display

Bielik: 7 - Game of two halves - first half thought he was caught out of position a couple of times, but second half looked a lot better. Clearly a player with a lot of class and sometimes a step or two too far ahead. Linked play up well

Davies: 7 - Typical Davies display

Huddlestone: 7 - Didn't do anything wrong - looked settled and composed, and was the one filling in when Kristian wandered out of position. Good penalty

Holmes: 8 - Good evening - looked dangerous and kept on finding little spaces - final ball was occasionally not *quite* on the money, but that wasn't always his fault

Paterson: 8 - See Holmes

Lawrence: 7 - Played "his game" pretty well. Kept taking on players - sometimes got past them, sometimes didn't, won a penalty, played some nice football and probably should have scored. Got his head down and got on with it pretty well under the circumstances.

Waghorn: 6 - Not a good game last night. Didn't really impact play as much as he would have liked, in fact his main contributions were defensive. Almost like he didn't have the right studs on.

Martin: 7.5 - Alert when Barnsley weren't to nick a goal, and did the hold up play very well- probably could have had a couple of assists on another day. Only minor concern was the old "frustrated" side of him started to come out a bit just before he got subbed.

Subs:

Clarke: 7 - Thought he looked good when he came on - worth noting that whilst their goal came from a set piece, it wasn't from a cross - think we looked a lot more solid at set plays with him and Davies at CB.

Knight: 6 - Not enough time to make a real impact

Bennett: N/A - Didn't touch the ball.

Cocu: 6.5 - Made the right call at half time to bring on Clarke and push up Bielik (think that's how we'll start at the back on Saturday, and I'm ok with that). Think he should have brought on Knight a bit sooner (and for Waggers), and very much question bringing on Bennett with 5 minutes left when you're trying to see out a result. 

Overall: Fairly happy with the performance. We tried to play some good football, and whilst it didn't always come off, there were the flashes of brilliance in there. Few nice partnerships developing in the middle of the park, and the signs were promising. Barnsley's main threat came from set pieces- we were very good at breaking up the play when they came forward otherwise, but even their set piece threat dropped once we had Clarke and Davies in there together.

I enjoyed reading this post. Thnk you for talking about the football.

I agree with all your comments, although think your ratings are a little on the generous side, but consistent. 

I don't like the sarcastic chants about Roos because I think his all round game is good and he is currently getting the blame for things that aren't his fault. 

Like you, I saw lots that was promising in last night's performance, although I think we do have inconsistencies that I don't think we'll be able to fix until Cocu has at least one more transfer window.

Introducing Martin back into the team has improved us a lot, but he's only 60 minutes match fit, as are Holmes and Davies. Having Marriott to replace Martin means no drop in quality, just approach, but last night we didn't have that luxury.

I  would also like to see Cocu timing his substitutions a bit better to stop that 'dip' in energy when Holmes runs out of steam that hands control back to the opposition. It gives them hope. We were also partly to blame for not creating better chances from the attacking possession we had in the earlier part of the second half.

In defence, Davies has had one and a half games with Bielik, half a game with Clarke and three different full back pairings in that time. Remarkable really that we've done as well as we have in collecting four points from those games. 

Feeling a bit for Waghorn at the moment as he's a genuine guy who looks a bit lost at times in Cocu's system. Paterson, on the other hand, seems to be taking his chance to shine. 

I'm still not sure what will win out in midfield eventually,  Huddlestone's slow skill or Bielik's quicker but less accurate endeavour. I think he offers more defensively than Huddlestone, though, and has a chance to cement that place if Huddlestone is out for any length of time. It also gives Clarke a run of games in defence to build an understanding with Davies. 

I'm looking forward to Saturday's game as I think we will build on the performance last night. 

Well I enjoyed the game last night, yes pissed off with them scoring in the 94th minute to deny us a victory I thought we deserved, some off our football was very good at time, some really good positives Martin scoring again and having a good effect on the game, Paterson and Holmes looking good, Davis looking very dominant and Bielik in time could be one hell of a player, and I thought a good atmosphere from the away end, I am also looking forward to the Luton game on Saturday one I believe we could win by 3 goals or more, I can see it clicking into gear soon and some team are going to get a good beating, let's hope it happens on Saturday.

Archived