Barnsley (A) Match Thread

Bwash_Ram

58 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

You mean the Davies header, right?

Im not saying he’s not correct in some of his assessments, but we weren’t exactly terrible in that first 20 we just played our way into the game. Then for 50-60 minutes we were largely in control. In fairness to him he’s not exactly going to say ‘Derby are steadily improving in their games and it’s a work in progress for Cocu right now’ like a fan watching week in/out may see it.

No their chance ... literally ball fell to their guy 7 yards out and somehow missed the entire target 

• Replies 972
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Disappointed with the draw obviously, but after watching the Barnsley v Brentford match , they looked vulnerable on the break and we did have many decent breaks, but for some poor passes or poor decisions we should have put the game to bed like Brentford. Crowd were in good voice and mixed views on the selection. Laurence and Bennett both got more support than boos I thought.

Missing Keogh already bringing the ball out from defence . First half Roos couldn’t get rid of it at times without it coming straight back

42 minutes ago, PodgeyRam said:

I wonder how Jozefzoon feels, being dropped for the winger who nearly killed the club captain? 

He didn't play amazing against Birmingham, but certainly didn't deserve to be dropped.

And then Bennett made it onto the pitch before him.

Inspired man management from Cocu...

Plus Shinnie 

40 minutes ago, PodgeyRam said:

I wonder how Jozefzoon feels, being dropped for the winger who nearly killed the club captain? 

He didn't play amazing against Birmingham, but certainly didn't deserve to be dropped.

And then Bennett made it onto the pitch before him.

Inspired man management from Cocu...

i think he will understand it was not a purely footballing reason, rather that the club felt it was the best way to handle their situation.  i don't agree it was the best way but it is what it is.

1 hour ago, Cam the Ram said:

the seemingly universal opinion that it was an absolute disgrace they were involved tonight? The club is just in an awful place at the minute and it's doing itself no favours on improving that.

not universal and not an absolute disgrace  - surprising yes, unwise yes. 

33 minutes ago, NottsRam77 said:

No their chance ... literally ball fell to their guy 7 yards out and somehow missed the entire target 

Sorry mate, was being a little tongue in cheek and trying to say both teams were making chances!

Have to admit from what I’ve seen from the Leeds game onwards I do think we are steadily improving. Tonight was the first time I was really impressed with our passing and movement. It will come but I do think we need a little patience before it all clicks.

Also I know the defending has been poor but I think it’s worth pointing out that Davies and Clarke was our fourth defensive combination in ten games without considering changes to full backs. Top defending comes from partnerships being formed, which takes game time. This also naturally makes your players more organised when they know their jobs, which grows confidence. It will take time, but I do think the whole first 11 needs more consistency in it before it works as a unit.

Where's this stuff about Lawrence crying as he was coming off the pitch coming from? 

If he is in tears then he's clearly not in a fit state to be anywhere near a football pitch which makes it another error of judgement from the club and the manager. 

The problem is that our players aren’t very good. I am not an expert but I would have thought having a goalkeeper who can catch a football would be enormously helpful. A decent shot stopper but we are being targeted with corners and long throws because everyone knows what we do. Also the lack of control at times and inability to play pretty simple passes is quite staggering. The lack of football intelligence is rather worrying as well-that corner, dear me, as well as Waghorn’s antics in the last 10. think we will have enough to stay up but I can’t say there’s many here, in the match day group, who have much of a future or who I particularly care about.

A lack of fitness  is also something I have noticed in pretty much every game. I had put it down to our amateurish pre-season but now wonder how much is due to our amateurish behaviour off the pitch, which is one thing this group will be forever tainted with in my eyes.

As the stranglers put it, no more heroes anymore. 

Looking forward to Saturday and Jacob butterfield’s rather inevitable winner.

1 minute ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Whoah there matey! I'm not talking about love like that for a partner or child mate! Nor have I said anywhere that they have not let folk down. The point I was trying to make was that fans showing a bit of support for the lad does not necessarily mean they condone drink driving. No idea why you feel the need to be ranting at me anyway pal. For the record, when folk say they love Chrissy Martin, or any other player for that matter, it's just a figure of speech! Find it pretty odd that this needs explaining tbh!

Not having a pop at you at all but in my eyes he shouldn't be getting support from fans, others think different,that's their view.I will support him on the pitch for the football he plays. What he does off the pitch is of no concern to me so therefore shouldn't expect my support.

After 40 odd years supporting the Rams it doesn't need explaining at all. I have no affinity with the players that i love them for how good or otherwise they are. They are paid to play and i pay to watch, they are just players who at this moment in time are playing for Derby, that's as far as it goes. Players come and sometimes give a good account of themselves then they go and replaced by other players.

1 hour ago, TigerTedd said:

This is what pissed me off before the game more than anything. The lack lustre start didn’t get me down. The selection didn’t get me down. It’s these ‘fans’. 

Mason Bennett is one of our own, just like Keogh is a legend. Stupid mistakes don’t change that. 

Lawrence I’m a bit indifferent to me. But as long as they’re pulling on the rams shirt, they are my family, and they’ve all got my support. 

Oh dear Oh dear these"fans" got you down, You have your views i have mine.

I will tell you what pissed me off before the match, we were missing a team captain and the best defender we have due to a stupid mistake made by Bennett/Lawrence.

I will tell you what pissed me off even more at the end of the match is that if Keogh had been playing we may have got 3 points instead of 1.

But still,don't worry you keep giving them your support.

I was at the game today. First off on the Lawrence and Bennett cases they got off relatively lightly with Bennett even receiving quite a bit of support. I personally stayed quiet as I don't particularly want to sing their names given what has happened. I know that there are rumours abound that Lawrence isn't coping well with the death of his mum, however if that's the case he shouldn't be in the squad. I lost a parent a couple of years ago so I'm not unsympathetic to the difficulties he's going through. 

On the performance and I have mixed feelings. For the first 30 minutes we were appalling and could have been 3-0 down. They had a corner cleared off the line, the goal they scored and a free shot 18 yards out which luckily was straight at Roos. They also had other moments where they should have done better. After we got our goal though we started to take control and looked the better side. This carried on until around the 60 minute mark again when we started to look vulnerable in defence again. We did have chances to finish the game and were only let down by some awful decision making and passes. It's clear we're getting better and this season will be one of mid-table mediocrity which we have to accept now or face disappointment later i think. 

I think Cocu is probably the right man for the job and it is time for some stability. Despite this I am finding some of the squad selection re the inconsistency of it all and tactics baffling at times. Not going to lie though I do love retro wardrobe Martin coming back and doing a very good job. 

49 minutes ago, atherstoneram said:

Oh dear Oh dear these"fans" got you down, You have your views i have mine.

I will tell you what pissed me off before the match, we were missing a team captain and the best defender we have due to a stupid mistake made by Bennett/Lawrence.

I will tell you what pissed me off even more at the end of the match is that if Keogh had been playing we may have got 3 points instead of 1.

But still,don't worry you keep giving them your support.

Keogh should have been the grown up on that night and has to take a share of the blame for the situation we face.

The performance at Barnsley was not too different from several this season when Keogh was on the pitch.

We would have got 3 points despite last week's events if Waghorn and Davies (amongst others) had not failed to convert gilt-edged opportunities

5 hours ago, Squid said:

Apparently Lawrence was crying as he went down the tunnel. 

I must say i’ve judged him a lot unfairly, but for our own fans to bring a player to tears after all the poo hes been through, his mental state is obviously way off. Come on lads, I know its frustrating but back the players when your at the ground.

There was numerous chants of “ super Tom Lawrence “ all through the game. I’ll admit I didn’t join in , but I’m not the most vocal but I thought he got a better reception than he must of expected? Tears, if there we were any, can’t be blamed on the crowd ffs!

People will say we should have won tonight and Barnsley were there for the taking. Let’s be honest, so were Swansea, Cardiff and WBA.

I think we are treading a fine line here. When do we stop saying it’s a hard luck story and when do we say these players can’t cut it?

I am hoping this is just another bump on our road to improvement and consistency but there are some worries. Our inability to take our chances when we are on top, our inability to kill off games, our inability to see out games, our inability to stay calm and composed under pressure - it’s all really hurting us.

A good team gets those things right more often than they don’t. We have managed it twice in 10 games. We have got it wrong again tonight and you would imagine it won’t be the last.

Two valuable points dropped, in the sense of the momentum it would have given us. It would have been back to back wins, four unbeaten, and to within four points of the top 6, all with a favourable home game coming up.

In isolation, it looks a poor result. But as always it depends on how you follow it up.

A win on Saturday and 7 points out of 9 definitely looks more encouraging than 8 out of the previous 24.

Let’s see how we respond.

1 hour ago, Ruda Harliss said:

He’s playing out of position ffs. Second half in his  preferred role he played well.

He played very well second half only 1 out of a hand full i would say played well! Martin bielik davies Paterson are the only ones i would say played well! 

Only seen the highlights. Doesn't look a penalty to me. The defender surely gets the ball? 

This seems to be the season for dodgy penalty decisions. 

Archived