Barnsley (A) Match Thread

Bwash_Ram

24 minutes ago, angieram said:

I don't like the sarcastic chants about Roos because I think his all round game is good and he is currently getting the blame for things that aren't his fault. 

I’ve made up my mind now that Roos isn’t good enough for what we need, but I was still uncomfortable with those chants. I can just about take, and may even occasionally join in with, chants such as “We’ve had a shot”, “How poo must you be, we’re winning away”, etc, but not those that target individual players.

• Replies 972
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 02/10/2019 at 22:00, Carl Sagan said:

I've not seen anything as I refused to give the club money when the teamsheet was released. Has Cocu been asked why our best finisher wasn't even on the bench? If you don't play people with the ability to score goals you're not likely to take chances when they come around. If Marriott's injured that's bad news. If he was dropped from the 18 that's even worse!

Marriott has a groin strain @Carl Sagan

41 minutes ago, angieram said:

I'm still not sure what will win out in midfield eventually,  Huddlestone's slow skill or Bielik's quicker but less accurate endeavour. I think he offers more defensively than Huddlestone, though, and has a chance to cement that place if Huddlestone is out for any length of time. It also gives Clarke a run of games in defence to build an understanding with Davies. 

Think Bielik is far better DM than Huddlestone. 

Last night he tracked runners, he dropped in almost alongside the CB's when the midfield was lost, when Barnsley turned around he stepped back out to find a man. He could go across the pitch so much quicker and he was able to press and retreat. 

Huddlestone looks good with the ball at his feet but he did none of that last night. The space around him he owns no part of it. The gap behind him might as well be a mile away. He's a good footballer but an awful DM imo. 

I genuinely can't imagine how he could be worse at playing DM. 

I think Cocu just likes his ability on the ball and his leadership?  

I'd take the slightly suicidal Bielik over the cool laser passing of the statue any day. 

I think we'll be a better side for it if we can now put out Bogle, Davies, Clarke, Lowe and Bielik for a few games together.

24 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Think Bielik is far better DM than Huddlestone. 

Last night he tracked runners, he dropped in almost alongside the CB's when the midfield was lost, when Barnsley turned around he stepped back out to find a man. He could go across the pitch so much quicker and he was able to press and retreat. 

Huddlestone looks good with the ball at his feet but he did none of that last night. The space around him he owns no part of it. The gap behind him might as well be a mile away. He's a good footballer but an awful DM imo. 

I genuinely can't imagine how he could be worse at playing DM. 

I think Cocu just likes his ability on the ball and his leadership?  

I'd take the slightly suicidal Bielik over the cool laser passing of the statue any day. 

I think we'll be a better side for it if we can now put out Bogle, Davies, Clarke, Lowe and Bielik for a few games together.

I agree with this 100 percent, thought Bielik was very good in the DM role in the second half, can put a tackle in, burst pass people and can also spot a pass, I think by Christmas we will be in the top 10 pushing the top 6, ready for Rooney to kick us on again, still believe that we will finish in the play offs position, but my glass is always half full anyway.

19 hours ago, Andicis said:

Rubbish. His usual self, careless on the ball, no quality, too weak etc. The only thing he did well was to fall over in the box and win us a penalty.

Wow. 

I actually thought he’d made a very clear attempt to be a team player. Only had 1 shot I think? Played a couple of very good through balls. 

Also was shepherding the ball out for goal kick so defensively got involved too. 

Didnt take any free kicks or set pieces at all and just contributed to an average display. 

4 hours ago, IlsonDerby said:

Wow. 

I actually thought he’d made a very clear attempt to be a team player. Only had 1 shot I think? Played a couple of very good through balls. 

Also was shepherding the ball out for goal kick so defensively got involved too. 

Didnt take any free kicks or set pieces at all and just contributed to an average display. 

I genuinely just didn't think he played well in the game overall, I thought he was largely ineffective and prone to running down dead ends. I did also think he was slow to get back defensively at times too. In comparison to Paterson, there was such a huge difference in performance of the wingers.

Only just got around to watching the (short) highlights of this game.

Not been impressed at all with Huddlestone this season (on the pitch).
Wasn't impressed with his latest video release either, nor his promotion to captaincy (because of the video).  I was of course pleased that plan was soon changed!

But credit where it's due though... that half-pirouette and dinked chip to Paterson to effectively set up our first goal was 100% sublime!  It made a hot chocolate with Baileys, fudge, and mallow pieces seem positively bland!  

Thankyou, Big Tom.

4 hours ago, Andicis said:

I genuinely just didn't think he played well in the game overall, I thought he was largely ineffective and prone to running down dead ends. I did also think he was slow to get back defensively at times too. In comparison to Paterson, there was such a huge difference in performance of the wingers.

How many goals and assists did each player get? A scuffed cross by Paterson turned in by Martin. A penalty won by Lawrence scored to go ahead. 

He isn't setting the world alight right now but his average displays are better than others in similar positions recently. 

33 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

How many goals and assists did each player get? A scuffed cross by Paterson turned in by Martin. A penalty won by Lawrence scored to go ahead. 

He isn't setting the world alight right now but his average displays are better than others in similar positions recently. 

I don't call falling over in the box an assist, personally.

TAKE 2:

I posted this last night, but evidently it is still in the post box, so here we go again:

The way I saw it there were 3 phases to that match, and Barnsley had done their homework on us.

They knew about Roos’ “flappy-paddle” goalkeeping, to use a Formula 1 term, and kept landing crosses into the middle of the box about 3 or 4 feet off the line - the area where Kelle should come out and catch the ball, but either he flaps at the ball or stays home and depends on his ability as a shot-stopper. So 1 - 0 Barnsley.

They also knew about our “play it out from the back” philosophy, so every out-ball had two players marking the man it was aimed at, or two players charging across at high speed to close him down. And for 20 minutes or so we played right into their hands.

Eventually Roos started catching the ball and we started to play long, and things changed. Suddenly we started to threaten and the equaliser was only a matter of time. They are a fast, young side who move the ball well, but have a shaky defence and lack experience.

Tom knew what he was doing for the penalty running across the front of his defender to increase the chance of contact.

There were accusations that Thudd was clattered after taking the penalty. but on the highlights it is clear that his hamstring went during the run up. That should have been game over, given Barnsley’s inexperience.

Much of the second half saw us being the most threatening, and we could have had 3 or 4 more goals with better decisions for the final ball, and more clinical shooting. However we are now looking like a footballing side.

Sadly their equaliser came from another flap at a cross which continued the pressure instead of snuffing it out, and for some strange reason the defence simply stopped still and watched the goal go in from the resultant dead ball situation.

The ref got most of his decisions right last night, and should be commended for that, but he was still a “thigh-swisher”. There were 2 or 3 instances of blatant kicking the ball away right in front of the him, and although they are supposed to be cracking down on this, he did nothing about it. So yet another coded message to do whatever you want and you’ll get away with it. Hence the crunch on Tom. And it lead to a succession of cynical, professional fouls to stop Derby attacks and breakaways. The ref gave the free-kicks, but did nothing else until around the 70th minute with his first booking. If all those attacks and counter/attacks had been allowed to continue, who knows what the outcome would have been.

There are a number of players who did well, but I have to give special mention to Clarke, who came in when Tom was “done” and played really well.

But what were Mel and Cocu thinking of with Lawrence and Bennett? I can understand the desire to help their rehabilitation, but no way should they have been anywhere near the squad so soon after those events. Like many at the ground, I was really, really angry because it is sending out the wrong message both to the players and to kids who look up to them.

BAD MOVE, MEL.

Archived