Barnsley (A) Match Thread

Bwash_Ram

15 minutes ago, Andicis said:

We looked pretty good going forward, Paterson looks a real handful, Martin is scoring goals again, and we put together some decent moves, but we HAVE to take our chances and kill teams off when it's impossible for us to defend a corner. 2 points dropped yet again. Poor. 

I've not seen anything as I refused to give the club money when the teamsheet was released. Has Cocu been asked why our best finisher wasn't even on the bench? If you don't play people with the ability to score goals you're not likely to take chances when they come around. If Marriott's injured that's bad news. If he was dropped from the 18 that's even worse!

• Replies 972
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, rammieib said:

What a truly awful game of football played out by two diabolical football teams.

Even my wife (who hates football) said “can’t they pass to one another”.

And just when you thought we had the three points....

Really? I quite enjoyed it. Some of the defending was poor, and that made it very open and probably more watchable. Wouldn't you say it's a step in the right direction from some of our previous performances? I personally think it was a good step in the right direction in terms of performance.

More annoyed tonight than after the Brentford game to be honest. 4/5 occasions we cut through them easily only to choose the wrong option. A game we should never have lost. 

First goal is on Roos for me as well. Any header won between the goal lines around that distance out is there for the keepers taking 

Just now, TigerTedd said:

No ones endorsing anything. They’re showing support to a Derby county player. 

If a member of my family did something stupid like that, I wouldn’t just drop them, and never want to speak to them again. I’d tell them how disappointed I am in them and then give them all my support. 

did he run over your dog or something?

They sung his name because they think it’s funny committing crimes and think it’s banter.  My personal view is that both him and Lawrence should be sold in January. I don’t feel comfortable with either of them plying for the club I support and pay money to. After the court date and if they show GENUINE remorse rather than apologising(that’s if they even do) for the sake of it for PR reasons, maybe my position will change and I will learn to forgive them. 

Big shout out for the guy(?) in the home end, who according to RD had a heart attack, and "needed working on" as the second half continued.
Hope he's on the mend, and all ends well.

Time for some perspective for many of us... and I most certainly include myself in that!  

Just now, Carl Sagan said:

I've not seen anything as I refused to give the club money when the teamsheet was released. Has Cocu been asked why our best finisher wasn't even on the bench? If you don't play people with the ability to score goals you're not likely to take chances when they come around. If Marriott's injured that's bad news. If he was dropped from the 18 that's even more ridiculous.

I think Marriott's injured, to be fair to Cocu, if not I would question why he wasn't in the 18. To be fair, it wasn't just the strikers guilty of wasting chances, Curtis Davies missed from a free header in the 6 yard box. Plenty of chances, a lot of frustrating passes in the final third. Not a bad showing though.

2 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

I've not seen anything as I refused to give the club money when the teamsheet was released. Has Cocu been asked why our best finisher wasn't even on the bench? If you don't play people with the ability to score goals you're not likely to take chances when they come around. If Marriott's injured that's bad news. If he was dropped from the 18 that's even worse!

Injured

2 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

He is injured.

On the whole, that was classic Derby. Could see it coming from a mile off. Set pieces are all like penalties against us, there’s a better than 50% chance you’re gonna score.

More positively, we looked to be creating a fair few chances going forward- Martin, Paterson and Holmes is a good central attacking three. On another day we’d have scored more- think we were unlucky not to to be honest , Barnsley got a lot of lucky blocks in. We deserved to win the game, but make no mistake, Barnsley won’t win many this season. That’s a game you have to be winning. We won’t get anywhere with this defence, it’s like arsenals, virtually guarenteed to concede twice a game and that leaves far far too much onus on the attack. It has to be improved and, and quickly. That includes the goalkeeper btw.

2 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

How do you know they are endorsing drink driving? They're just showing the lad some love FFS!

Why? Because he’s going through a very difficult time or because they find it funny? Oh my heart bleeds, maybe he should have paid attention to the drink driving course he was at.

10 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

As a team, we are getting better. We are getting there in a footballing sense.

But individuals cannot continue to make these basic, basic errors. It's so frustrating. Roos, Waghorn - I'm looking at you!

Are we ???

genuine question ?

Tony gale said we were dreadful first 20-30 mins and Barnsley should have been out of sight 

we cannot defend pure and simple 

2 tonight, 2 Saturday , 3 against Brentford , 3 against forest 

u defend as a team , so that goes as far as Waggy not getting it under, Lawrence giving it away, Huddlestone getting turned, Malone out of position every bit as much as Roos ( current scapegoat) flapping at it 

I’m still pretty worried about which way our seasaw of a season is going to go 

teams that concede with such ease as us achieve very very little ... or worse 

1 minute ago, Millenniumram said:

On the whole, that was classic Derby. Could see it coming from a mile off. Set pieces are all like penalties against us, there’s a better than 50% chance you’re gonna score.

More positively, we looked to be creating a fair few chances going forward- Martin, Paterson and Holmes is a good central attacking three. On another day we’d have scored more- think we were unlucky not to to be honest , Barnsley got a lot of lucky blocks in. We deserved to win the game, but make no mistake, Barnsley won’t win many this season. That’s a game you have to be winning. We won’t get anywhere with this defence, it’s like arsenals, virtually guarenteed to concede twice a game and that leaves far far too much onus on the attack. It has to be improved and, and quickly.

The only reason we created a fair few chances going forward was because of the opposition, Barnsley made us look better than we were

3 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Really? I quite enjoyed it. Some of the defending was poor, and that made it very open and probably more watchable. Wouldn't you say it's a step in the right direction from some of our previous performances? I personally think it was a good step in the right direction in terms of performance.

I thought it was slightly painful. Barnsley were truly awful from the minute their defence stood still to let Martin in.

Our lack of quality to kill it off hurt us. So many chances but the final ball/second final ball was just bad.

Roos must have something on Cocu...

I thought Birmingham was a step in the right direction and I at least thought tonight we would have come away with the points until we let a guy walk in unmarked to receive a corner whilst a Derby player just stands there doing what??? (Not sure who)

10 minutes ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

Yet more XG garbage. 

They were not fortunate and I can't see how XG is relevant. Only AG count.

Overall, an entertaining and very open game. Some decent football at times but also many poor spells.

A fair result (IMO) just frustrating to have conceded so late (obviously the fault of Roos according to many).

Thought we looked like we could attack and score at will with 15 to go but were so wasteful with the final ball or shot.....so so frustrating....

Last min goal was shocking defending....so poor!!!!! I don't rate Roos either new keeper needed 

I was a tad disappointed they played Lawrence and Bennett, but I get the thought process of letting the courts deal with it.

The biggest determining factor of deaths on the road is actually speed. I doubt anybody on here would be calling for either to be left out of they'd been caught doing 50 in a 30 zone.

Just a thought.

Just now, Millenniumram said:

More positively, we looked to be creating a fair few chances going forward- Martin, Paterson and Holmes is a good central attacking three. On another day we’d have scored more- think we were unlucky not to to be honest , Barnsley got a lot of lucky blocks in. We deserved to win the game, but make no mistake, Barnsley won’t win many this season. That’s a game you have to be winning. We won’t get anywhere with this defence, it’s like arsenals, virtually guarenteed to concede twice a game and that leaves far far too much onus on the attack. It has to be improved and, and quickly.

I don't think we were unlucky at all. I think we got exactly what we deserved.

I lost count in the 2nd half of how many times we had 2 on 2 and even 3 on 2. The final pass, which more often than not would have put someone clean through, was absolutely woeful. Only ourselves to blame for that.

I also think Huddlestone getting injured may enable Cocu to stumble on what will be his best defensive partnership. Also allows us to play Bielik in midfield which to me looks comfortably his best position. 

Time to leave the back 4 and Bielik Infront to settle down and get used to playing with each other. I think it'll be strong.

I don't think we looked in trouble as a defence in that 2nd half.

Quite simply they played a short corner and someone fell asleep and didn't pick a man up. Which I believe may have been Bennett.

Also Roos should have claimed that ball that led to the corner for them. He's came out and punched it. Pitiful.

Archived