Barnsley (A) Match Thread

Bwash_Ram

3 hours ago, Andicis said:

When? I don't remember him having many consecutive games in the team. He needs a spell in the team and a goal and I think he'll look a different player. He's low on confidence. What have we got to lose? After Lawrence and Bennett's actions we only have very few wingers.

Don’t play with wingers then. Change the formation, even with Bennett and Lawrence we’re not being idiots  I don’t think the formation worked. 

• Replies 972
  • Created
  • Last Reply

4-3-3 not worked for years because the wingers are not good enough to defend as well as attack, you would need two Gary Micklewhites to make it work.

The two full backs are better going forward than defending so use them as wing backs. I would go with.

Hamer

Bogle            Davies       Clarke          Lowe

Paterson/Knight Beilik   Shinnie

Holmes

Marriott     Martin/Waghorn

Barnsley will have one fewer day than us which is a big advantage. And this makes it more likely we'll be unchanged.

Cocu is pretty conservative in terms of injured players, wanting them to be fit for the season rather than be rushed back and break down again. I like his attitude, even if I think it means Bogle will spend another game on the bench. I also think fitness is the reason we're yet to see Martin and Marriott together on the pitch.

When Bogle is fit to start (of course it may be Tuesday) there could still be a place in the team for Lowe and Malone.

I felt the weaknesses on Saturday were Bielik in defence, Huddlestone in midfield and, to an extent, Josefzoon and Waghorn.

I'd be happy to see Bielik swap with Huddlestone or to move Bielik into midfield and Clarke into defence. If Evans were fit he'd be an obvious potential partner for Davies. after the international break we might be heading towards:

Roos

Bogle     Clarke    Davies     Malone

Waghorn     Holmes     Bielik     Lowe

Marriott        Martin

with a bench of Hamer, Sibley, Huddlestone, Shinnie, Paterson, Knight, Josefzoon

and back up of Mitchell, Ravas, Dowell, Anya, Hunt, Buchanan, Bird, Whittaker, Wisdom, Forsyth, Evans, Mitchell-Lawson

[academy products in bold]

I doubt Lawrence and Bennett will figure until January by which time Rooney will have arrived.

Watching Barnsley yesterday, they had a real problem defending the ball in behind in their left back spot. They have a young team with a lot of energy but a fair amount of naivety. Game is there to be won, but we will need to match their endeavour.

Would go for the same 11 that started Saturday, personally.

Give Bogle all the time he needs to get back up to speed before rushing him back in. Lowe and Malone both did fine against Brum.

Surprised to see quite a few would drop/move Paterson out wide. I thought he looked excellent in the number 10 role linking up with Martin.

Barnsley give up a lot of chances and look a quite naive, young side but with plenty of attacking ability. We're more than capable of going there and winning the game quite comfortably but we'll have to be on our guard for the inevitable reaction to their result yesterday.

Roos
         Davies Bielik Clarke
Bogle                                Lowe
         Holmes Huddlestone
  Waghorn                   Paterson
                    Martin

Would prefer a more mobile option in the midfield than Hudds, but I like three at the back if Lowe and Bogle are both fit. 

They would provide great width and allow Waggy and Paterson to be a nuisance, buzzing around Chrissy.

Roos

Bogle            Davies       Beilik          Lowe

Knight  Huddlestone

Holmes          Paterson      Waghorn

Martin

I think I prefer Knight in the middle - He'll get about like Holmes but with a bit more physical presence. I know Holmes is not a winger, but he looked great out-wide on Saturday. I also prefer Beilik in midfield but I think we need a ball playing centre half and Davies, Clarke isn't great if we want to play it out from the back, for that reason I'd stick with Huddlestone. Paterson looks great in that number 10 role. Marriott for the final 25 to run them ragged. 

Alternatively, I'd be happy with Bogle as a right winger and stick with the same back line as Saturday. 

Tough calls to make, after Saturday.

Bogle in? Or retain faith in Lowe and Malone? If he's ready, I'd be tempted to put him in, though not sure who I'd drop.

Bielik is better as a DM and made a couple of mistakes at CB on Saturday, so do we drop him for Clarke, or drop Hudds for Clarke and push Bielik up?

I don't see an argument for putting in Marriott, oddly, after the attacking performance on Saturday, but I remain highly unconvinced by Jozefzoon. Not sure who to put in though... Sibley? Knight? Dowell (thinking he might do better with Holmes alongside?)

56 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

I would want to see Sibley given an opportunity. Derbydazz22 said we need someone who is both mobile and can put some bite into the midfield, and he fits that bill perfectly.

In the longer term, I agree, but he's away with the Under 18s in Minsk this week. 

Archived