Huddlestone Captain

Rambalin

15 hours ago, Alpha said:

A lot of perfect people on the internet today. 

This attitude is alarming. Some actions are too serious to shrug off and say nobody's perfect. This is one of them. 

Would you be saying "nobody's perfect" if he'd killed someone? Because he got lucky. On another day he kills someone. Maybe a bystander. Maybe a passenger.

Gross stupidity cannot be forgiven as a simple mistake. I doubt many people reading this will admit to doing the same thing. It's not a mistake like speeding, which could have similar results. It's so reprehensible an action that pretty much the whole of society will denounce it. 

Unforgivable. 

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What were Huddlestone's motives in putting this on social media. He must have been aware of the consequence s of his actions and the negative reaction it would receive. I think it was an ill judged thing to do and not good for team bonding at all.  If he was concerned by Bennett's behaviour he could have just stated he was being an idiot, tried to stop him and if unable to do that go home. It makes me question his suitability as a leader  

I wouldnt mind seeing Waghorn as captain. Always gives 100%. Appears to be a nice bloke and family man, seems to be sensible, took balls to do the depression article the other month. Likeable guy, seems professional, will play most games and set a good example 

I think that there is a massive problem with Huddlestone being the captain. 

I don't mean the video - I'd love to say that I haven't taken the wotsit out of friends/colleagues who have done stupid things whilst under the influence. Unfortunately, I'm not Mary Poppins so I might just have done. I've also had the same done to me by those same friends and colleagues when I've over indulged. Due to my age, most of my more technicolour evenings were before everyone carried a high quality video camera with them 24/7. Yet if mobiles were around 30 years older I can guarantee that I'd have taken and starred in some very interesting films. It's different if Huddlestone got into one of the cars, but with the facts as they are currently known, he's done nothing wrong.

No, I think that the problem is that being given the armband indicates that Cuco sees Huddlestone as a regular starter. To me, that looks like our manager still does not understand the pace or physicality of the division. If we're going to move clear of the relegation battle we can't play a defensive midfielder who can't run, tackle or head the ball. My prediction is that Cocu will be gone soon.

My other issue with this, is that a quick scan down the first team squad reveals no other obvious candidate. Ideally for captain we want a fist team fixture with some natural authority and a bit of experience. There's actually no one who fits the bill. The closest are probably Waghorn and Bielik. Given another couple of weeks, Chris Martin could also be a decent contender. The thinness of squad worries me.

Clearly this decision was made before the video footage appeared in the media. But in light of the new evidence, they should reverse the decision.

Like @Chester40 said, it’s a PR own goal.

Huddlestone is 32 and has been a professional footballer for 16 years, so it’s not as if he’s a fresh faced youngster who is oblivious to the consequences of his actions. The weight of responsibility a footballer carries will not be lost on him.

Yes, it’s not a crime to film a drunken friend, family member or teammate. But surely for a player in his position, he should have different instincts.

I am only three years older than my brother, but if we are out drinking together, we instinctively look out for each other.

If my brother was throwing up in the bathroom of a pub or in any situation where you feel it could escalate, I’d be thinking ‘How soon can I get him in a taxi so he can go home?’

It’s not Tom’s responsibility and Mason is a fully grown adult who is accountable for his own actions.

But when you care about someone, you take charge of such a situation to ensure it doesn’t escalate.

Should do the captaincy on a game-by-game basis for the time being until, hopefully, a settled team and obvious candidate emerges. My take is that Huddlestone posting the video on social media precludes him from the captaincy.

That there are no obvious candidates is worrying in terms of the quality of the squad.

23 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Should do the captaincy on a game-by-game basis for the time being until, hopefully, a settled team and obvious candidate emerges. My take is that Huddlestone posting the video on social media precludes him from the captaincy.

That there are no obvious candidates is worrying in terms of the quality of the squad.

Davies?

34 minutes ago, Dimmu said:

Davies?

If he's selected ahead of or alongside Clarke, Bielik, Evans, Wisdom, Buchanan, Hunt, Huddlestone in central defence. Does Cocu think he's a better option than six of those? I've not yet seen evidence of that, but maybe we will. That's why I said game by game.

2 hours ago, G-Ram said:

I wouldnt mind seeing Waghorn as captain. Always gives 100%. Appears to be a nice bloke and family man, seems to be sensible, took balls to do the depression article the other month. Likeable guy, seems professional, will play most games and set a good example 

Obvious choice is Davies as he’s as good a leader as you’ll find at this level, and seems a good all round bloke too. But the question is will he play? If not, waghorns deffo the best candidate for me

7 hours ago, Jourdan said:

Clearly this decision was made before the video footage appeared in the media. But in light of the new evidence, they should reverse the decision.

Like @Chester40 said, it’s a PR own goal.

Huddlestone is 32 and has been a professional footballer for 16 years, so it’s not as if he’s a fresh faced youngster who is oblivious to the consequences of his actions. The weight of responsibility a footballer carries will not be lost on him.

Yes, it’s not a crime to film a drunken friend, family member or teammate. But surely for a player in his position, he should have different instincts.

I am only three years older than my brother, but if we are out drinking together, we instinctively look out for each other.

If my brother was throwing up in the bathroom of a pub or in any situation where you feel it could escalate, I’d be thinking ‘How soon can I get him in a taxi so he can go home?’

It’s not Tom’s responsibility and Mason is a fully grown adult who is accountable for his own actions.

But when you care about someone, you take charge of such a situation to ensure it doesn’t escalate.

It is very irresponsible of Huddlestone to post the vids as an elder of the squad but he didn’t know at the time of posting what was going to unfold. Plus doesn’t snapchat message / posts get deleted after a very short space of time? So the red tops have gone searching around, delving for this footage. 

26 minutes ago, Remy the hare said:

It is very irresponsible of Huddlestone to post the vids as an elder of the squad but he didn’t know at the time of posting what was going to unfold. Plus doesn’t snapchat message / posts get deleted after a very short space of time? So the red tops have gone searching around, delving for this footage. 

Of course, he didn’t know what was going to happen. I get that.

I am not saying that Huddlestone is somehow responsible for what Mason did later in the night. He is not.

But I am saying that he didn’t cover himself in glory in that moment and show the qualities you would associate with a captain, a leader and an experienced professional in that situation.

If I saw someone in a state and that person was a friend, a colleague or a family member, my first instinct wouldn’t be to document it or publicly shame them. 

My instinct would be to protect them and I would feel I had a duty of care to take them out of that situation, so they are not vulnerable and ultimately so the situation doesn’t escalate in any number of ways.

There is video footage of Malone looking as if he is passed out and Bennett vomiting into a urinal and the surrounding players are all brushing it off and not taking it seriously.

Surely instead these should have been massive red flags and an indication things were getting out of hand and both players should have been sent home.

But the way it looks, there is an alarming lack of concern.

1 hour ago, Remy the hare said:

Of course a Snapchat message doesn't get deleted. Ever. Yes it can appear that way if you don't understand technology and the modern world, but that should make you unsuited to being captain. Maybe one of his "friends" sold it to the papers. Or maybe the papers aren't quite so daft so went and found the footage which is out there forever.

On 27/09/2019 at 05:40, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

How many times does it have to be bloody said? Film all you want, but

DO NOT PUT IT ON SOCIAL DUCKING MEDIA!

This^^^^^

These guys will under go training and take part in workshops on this problems of drink, drugs, gambling AND social media!

Clubs are getting very wise to these problems and are trying to educate players. I know for a fact that the academy lads at many clubs now have a number of workshops with outside bodies. They cover social media in their sessions. A lot of work is being put in to try and educate players.

Id be amazed if it wasn’t mentioned in their contract also. It’s unprofessional to be posting things that portray the club in a bad light even if it’s just the lads out drinking. As you say, film it if you want and have a laugh about it with the lads, but keep it tightly under wraps!

20 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

Obvious choice is Davies as he’s as good a leader as you’ll find at this level, and seems a good all round bloke too. But the question is will he play? If not, waghorns deffo the best candidate for me

Was absolutely unreal in the Rowett season as well. The fact that we've been terrible at defending set pieces and crosses into the box before and after that season says it all.

Then again, we have no idea whether he's capable of playing to that standard after his injury.

1 minute ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Was absolutely unreal in the Rowett season as well. The fact that we've been terrible at defending set pieces and crosses into the box before and after that season says it all.

Then again, we have no idea whether he's capable of playing to that standard after his injury.

Always said he’s the best out and out defender to play for us in my time watching. Let’s hope he’s still got something in the tank 

Archived