Lawrence and Bennett Convicted of drink driving

alexxxxx
Message added by Day

May I remind members of the forum terms of use and prohibited content - Personal insults/profanity towards other members, players, staff, media or anyone connected to Derby County Football Club.

Also please do not use this forum to create or further spread unverified rumours from social media on the incident.

In an attempt to see a positive.

have we had a drinking culture, is this the reason for certain lack lustre performances ? Maybe this event will curtail it and the younger players breaking in to the first team will understand the fallout and not get sucked in to it as their career progresses and the more mature ones will see where it can lead.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, Owd miner said:

They made a conscious  decision to drive after haing  a drink... that is different to be involved in a road traffic accident ...fir the club ta talk about rehabilitating back into the team is sickening ... I'm sorry no one can defend em .

I personally think that the club working in this way is a good thing. With everything aimed towards mental health surely the way they are going about things is the proper way. It’s up to the individual wether they respond to this in the correct manner and we as individuals who support the tea: respond in the correct manner when or if they put on a Derby County shirt again

A quick list of footballers charged with drink driving

Wayne Rooney, Hugo Lloris, Danny Drinkwater, Roberto Firmino, Dean Saunders, Arturo Vidal, Yaya Toure, Nicolas Bendtner, Paul Gascoigne, Saido Berahino, Darron Gibson, Tony Adams,

Frank Lampard was charged with speeding at 90mph in a 50mph zone.

I'm absolutely not condoning whats happened just stating that some other players still have careers despite drink driving and, obviously, some don't. I guess it depends on the individual involved and how they react. It's possible to get past this IF they are contrite and regret it and seek to restore their reputations in the right way.

The worst thing is Keogh's injury. The club may see this as a misdemeanour too far as it will seriously impact on the season. With a potential 3 first team players missing for the next few games (Keogh out all season), Mel is not going to be a happy man. I hope he acts appropriately (whatever that is).

My fear is that this season, with its poor start could fall apart - we have now lost 4 players from last season (potentially 5/6) and are struggling with form. We have lost the captain on the field. I can see only difficult times ahead both on and off the field. Sorry to be so negative.                                                                                                                                                                                                          

2 minutes ago, bimmerman said:

I'm gonna throw it out there

But any legacy/redemption Keogh may have found/left here for me has gone up in smoke for being involved in the stupidity of this

The club captain

Absolute muppet

The first time ive agreed with a post of yours.

I have considered keogh to be on his way to being a club legend. Not anymore

Im so angry.

I still wonder with all the sensible people on here then who are all these knobbers on the road that drive dangerously while sober

Are they AI vehicles or something. 

I don't have sympathy for them. But I've made some big mistakes and matured from them 

A very good friend of mine has made the biggest 'mistake' you can make and has become one of the nicest people you could meet.

I'm not sticking up for them and whatever happens to them is their own fault. But I'm in a glass house with a hand full of stones here and I find it hard to believe I'm on my own

37 minutes ago, Owd miner said:

fir the club ta talk about rehabilitating back into the team is sickening

It's not like back in your day @Owd miner. Footballers are what they are these days. It's the money innit? If we're vetting playing staff for moral fibre then we'll struggle to get a matchday squad together! We can forget about Rooney for a start.

There just aren't many whiter than white Gary Linekers around anymore.

Watched Cocu's press conference and Gibbo interview.

As always, he's calm, measured, considered and dignified.

The players have really let him down.

They've let the supporters down, especially the youngsters who would look up to them as role models.

They've let their team mates down and put a cloud over the season.

They've let themselves down.

But this talk of sacking is too much. Sure some form of discipline, community work sounds ideal.

However, they do need help and support. Lawrence has recently lost a parent. 

I hope that with time people don't soften their stance towards them.

Not only have they broken the law, put lives in danger, showed disrespect to the manager and ended a players season, they've stuck two fingers up at the fans who pay ducking good money to support them. Now whatever the consequences are, we just have to suck it up and deal with it while they sit at home on absurd pay for being absolute muppets.

Bamfords.

4 minutes ago, AdamRam said:

He started to support the red dogs ??

You can't use red dogs fan and nicest person together though,  must be something else.

Team building is important, and many of us need to let off steam sometimes - although I'm not sure athletes should do it with alcohol.

I think the older players should have taken more responsibility than the younger ones - such as calling taxis, or calling and end to it. (Or using the cars laid on by the club.)

5 minutes ago, Pastinaak said:

It's not like back in your day @Owd miner. Footballers are what they are these days. It's the money innit? If we're vetting playing staff for moral fibre then we'll struggle to get a matchday squad together! We can forget about Rooney for a start.

Again, it’s nothing to do with modern footballers or even footballers. 

A football squad will be a snapshot of the 18-35 male demographic in this country. 

As it would have been, ten, twenty, thirty, forty years ago. 

13 minutes ago, RandomAccessMemory said:

Was it a built up residential area? I thought it happened at the A6 junction with Burley Lane? If so aren't the nearest houses are something like 100 metres away?

then apologies for my misunderstanding.  the remainder of my point still stands.  

14 minutes ago, Pastinaak said:

I know what tha sez but just ger on Derby website check out what checks you have to go through just ta be a steward... if ya farted wrong ya wunt gerra a look in but drink drive and play fer first team ya ok . Its hypocritical ... double standards mi owd 

12 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

The first time ive agreed with a post of yours.

I have considered keogh to be on his way to being a club legend. Not anymore

Im so angry.

Most of what I say is tongue in cheek,especially the Paterson stuff

(Internet wind up and all that?

But legitimatly wouldn't be upset if all 3 got released and the club went down but with some integrity left

Have seen the result of people close to me dieing in road traffic accidents not involving the stupidity of alcohol and the mess it leaves, what these guys have done is just unforgivable, it's just lucky that nobody else was innocently involved. I'm utterly disgusted by this

Archived