Lawrence and Bennett Convicted of drink driving

alexxxxx
Message added by Day

May I remind members of the forum terms of use and prohibited content - Personal insults/profanity towards other members, players, staff, media or anyone connected to Derby County Football Club.

Also please do not use this forum to create or further spread unverified rumours from social media on the incident.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
46 minutes ago, Shang said:

Mel Morris not live on radio:

• Mel has a back problem at the moment and is currently confined to bed.
  • Mel says drinking and driving is rife through the football world, whole sport of football must learn from this.
  • Needs to act as a deterrent for other footballers who do the same thing.

If it’s rife throughout the football world, then why FFS did Derby allow a team building session to happen at a pub. Don’t give me this rubbish about the club laying cars on, if you know DD is a culture in football firstly don’t give them access to drink and secondly if you were, you would have ensured they got into the transport laid on.

Given several of them didn’t get into the cars, for me it highlights a drinking culture at Derby as they didn’t give a monkeys about the consequence of staying out that late.

Hopefully Derby learn from this, they need to be protecting our assets, no you can’t control them all the time, but this happened on a club bonding session, and as MM stated, is not unusual. 

6 minutes ago, Squid said:

Lack of responsiblity? the club offered them lifts home!

ALSO: The following came from the club:

We want to draw a line under this particular episode, this situation. However, it's very important that the reverberations carry on, because we want to learn, we want to improve, we want to make sure this doesn't happen again.

"As part of that, we will of course look at the way this event occurred, look at the processes that we've got installed at the club, look at where we can improve.

Because although this was ultimately an individual decision made by a small group of players, we have to look as a club to see, can we do better here, can we learn from this?'

"The main thing we want to use this as is a catalyst for getting a greater understanding of how it has affected the society around us. Getting closer to supporters, getting the players much closer to the communities through Derby County Community Trust and getting them more involved in that, as well as the 80 hours we've imposed on Lawrence and Bennett (as part of the club's internal disciplinary).

"Really we just want to build, and rebuild where required, our links with the community. Because some good has to come out of this, it really does. We have to learn from this.

"Apart from the individual learning points for the likes of Tom and Mason, and their individual responsibilities, in a wider sense we want to really make sure the club is very much at the heart of the community.

"We are very much together, one club, and we're very much taking forward a one-club approach.

There is plenty of work to do on our behalf, and we want to make sure that this really horrible incident, we can use that as a springboard to doing that."

Yeah, no responsibility Natalie, shove it

2 minutes ago, AdamRam said:

If it’s rife throughout the football world, then why FFS did Derby allow a team building session to happen at a pub. Don’t give me this rubbish about the club laying cars on, if you know DD is a culture in football firstly don’t give them access to drink and secondly if you were, you would have ensured they got into the transport laid on.

Given several of them didn’t get into the cars, for me it highlights a drinking culture at Derby as they didn’t give a monkeys about the consequence of staying out that late.

Hopefully Derby learn from this, they need to be protecting our assets, no you can’t control them all the time, but this happened on a club bonding session, and as MM stated, is not unusual. 

Maybe they've learned since then that it's rife throughout football? It's never really seemed like there has been a disproportionate amount of footballers arrested for drink driving compared to everyone else.

One thing I've been wondering, sports people who win something tend to have champagne or have drinks in the dressing room afterwards to celebrate, how much do they drink and how do they get home?

I don't know the answers, none of us do.

What is now much more important, as the past cannot be changed, is that everyone thinks about what they should have done differently and makes sure they change their actions in the future.

9 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

I used to like Talksport, but it's no more than click-bait nowadays - presenter says/tweets something stupid purely in order to generate responses. There are hardly any reasoned discussions as they just want people to rant.....

bit like here? ??

i was listening to it and one caller compared it to being a racist and should be sacked in the same way. Clinton Morris put him a straight on that 

24 minutes ago, AdamRam said:

Firstly, the squad went bowling, secondly, I don't know if you've been to the Joiners but it's very much a restaurant first and a pub second. Where do you want them to eat then, McDonalds?

30 minutes ago, AdamRam said:

It was originally a golfing day but the weather was too bad i understand. 

8 minutes ago, Srg said:

Firstly, the squad went bowling, secondly, I don't know if you've been to the Joiners but it's very much a restaurant first and a pub second. Where do you want them to eat then, McDonalds?

Yes I have been to the joiners, know someone who works there, also noting the big red banner at the top of the page I will not say to much on this other than this has become a regular jaunt for people as it’s such a nice place, known for its cocktails, gin and range of beers. I often go, have a nice meal and then a few drinks to follow it up with, then a taxi home.

Given the club were laying cars on, then don’t you think they were encouraging them to drink ?

10 minutes ago, Curtains said:

It was originally a golfing day but the weather was too bad i understand. 

Football golf I believe, you are correct. So instead we will put them in an environment where they can get pissed, 3/4 days before a match day...genius idea.

Yes I have been to the joiners, know someone who works there, also noting the big red banner at the top of the page I will not say to much on this other than this has become a regular jaunt for people as it’s such a nice place, known for its cocktails, gin and range of beers. I often go, have a nice meal and then a few drinks to follow it up with, then a taxi home.

Given the club were laying cars on, then don’t you think they were encouraging them to drink ?

reads like you are trying to have a dig at the club.  The joiners was not part of the event it was non club related.  They put cars on just ion case somebody had more than a pint or 2 sherries; something responsible employers do.  Not sure why you would say that an employer that does this is encouraging excessive drinking.  All of the above has been mentioned repeatedly bu many posters. 

Please stop bashing the club

I'd probably phrase it more along the lines that the club was encouraging them to unwind responsibly. Hence the cars being laid on for 8pm. The fact that grown men chose to take it beyond that responsible boundary, it's a bit unfair to lay any blame at the clubs door imho.

1 minute ago, Spanish said:

reads like you are trying to have a dig at the club.  The joiners was not part of the event it was non club related.  They put cars on just ion case somebody had more than a pint or 2 sherries; something responsible employers do.  Not sure why you would say that an employer that does this is encouraging excessive drinking.  All of the above has been mentioned repeatedly bu many posters. 

Please stop bashing the club

I voice my opinion on the club as I feel, but thanks for the advice ?

And just for clarity, are you saying if the dinner was part of the team building day I would have a point ?

27 minutes ago, Squid said:

The main thing we want to use this as is a catalyst for getting a greater understanding of how it has affected the society around us. Getting closer to supporters, getting the players much closer to the communities through Derby County Community Trust and getting them more involved in that

I think it's a really good point to draw a line and look for the positives now.

If nothing else, this has been a very public lesson to young Derby fans that drink-driving has very real consequences.

I think it’s very hard to learn a real lesson about drink-driving until it affects you closely. The enormity of the risks involved are difficult to grasp, and people are inclined to think they can get away with it

To have a very public incident like this that affects a whole city will ultimately be far more effective in bring the message home than any well-meaning national campaign, TV adverts or whatever

3 minutes ago, Steve How Hard? said:

I'd probably phrase it more along the lines that the club was encouraging them to unwind responsibly. Hence the cars being laid on for 8pm. The fact that grown men chose to take it beyond that responsible boundary, it's a bit unfair to lay any blame at the clubs door imho.

Of course, but then to say DD is a culture amongst football players, is it a bit naive to expect them to do this ? 

Archived