Lawrence and Bennett Convicted of drink driving

alexxxxx
Message added by Day

May I remind members of the forum terms of use and prohibited content - Personal insults/profanity towards other members, players, staff, media or anyone connected to Derby County Football Club.

Also please do not use this forum to create or further spread unverified rumours from social media on the incident.

58 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

I am sure that if this had been Tom and Mason the factory workers from chadd that they too would have received a 85 pound fine, a slap on the wrist and told not to do It again... 

pathetic...but did anyone really expect anything else..? 

I think if you were compelled to give up 180 hours of your life doing community service you might find it a bit less "pathetic".

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, OohMartWright said:

I think if you were compelled to give up 180 hours of your life doing community service you might find it a bit less "pathetic".

I really hope both of them use the time to reflect and to realise how their lives might have panned out. 

We all make mistakes in life. It's what you learn from them which is important. 

They have been very very stupid, irresponsible and reckless. They have been punished according to law and again by the club

they entered a guilty plea.

for me it’s end of story .. I might have felt differently if a bystander had been hurt or killed (but then the punishments would have been rightfully different )

why allow rehabilitation under someone else’s auspices? Assuming they are contrite it has to be right they as “our”players “we” give them the chance to validate their contrition and do penance ( crikey that sounds a bit churchy - but there’s solid logic in it) 

A repeat offence would change my mind, but as of where we are now then as far as I am concerned it’s “right lads, get your heads down, graft, do your penance, learn, give back and come back a better person and player. 

28 minutes ago, OohMartWright said:

Do you actually mean that.!!??? 

180 hours of my life would only take me a 6 months or so to get through....180 hours for someone who works less than 10 hours a week...duck me they can get It all done in less than a month....and they won’t be doing anything that remotely looks like hard work, they will be going to schools and talking to kids  etc.

so yes, I do think It is pathetic. 

They left 2 people in a major car crash without knowing how injured they were....leaving them for dead.

4 minutes ago, oldtimeram said:

Who was the second person in the car by the way??

Yeh, it was @Van Cone De Head - Pretty sure he mentioned it earlier - Although not sure why he was out with the players...

(I had to dig through a LOT of posts to find out who'd made the comment earlier so I really hope this post is amusing...)

10 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Yeh, it was @Van Cone De Head - Pretty sure he mentioned it earlier - Although not sure why he was out with the players...

(I had to dig through a LOT of posts to find out who'd made the comment earlier so I really hope this post is amusing...)

I can believe you went through the rigmarole of finding the information and then didn't quote it.

As far as I'm concerned that's it.. Case closed. 

They have been punished by the club they have been punished by the courts. I am sure the club will be keeping a close eye on them and I am also certain the club would have made it clear there will be no second chances if they reoffend. 

As far as I am concerned they are Derby County players and will get my full support as soon as they step out on the pitch. 

Interesting comments by Tom on his increasing  dependance on alcohol. Wonder if the club knew and, if so, was he getting support? 

1 hour ago, cheron85 said:

Appreciate where you're coming from but I still think it's a double standard - Your equivalent is like saying all criminals should be shipped off to the colonies - You're happy for criminals to rehabilitate, just not in your country thanks

I'd argue the best place to rehabilitate yourself is your current job - You're suggesting they should be cut loose so not only do they have to deal with the punishment layed out by law and other issues they might have (ie, Lawrence's drinking) you also want them to deal with unemployment (for a time) and upheaval in their personal and professional lives as well

I get that you don't like these players and you don't want them at the club and you feel offended by what they did - But there are plenty more examples of owners, players and staff over the years at Derby who have done much more malicious things - You might think our reputation is some glowing beacon of footballing purity but it isn't

None of us are going to get what we want our personal punishment for them to be - So we have to assume that the courts and the club will do the right thing and move on

I've seen far lesser punishments handed down for being a lot more drunk in charge of a car for regular folks - If that's what you're talking about

Not really an equivalent, this is paid employment we’re talking about that these players don’t deserve here anymore (imo), it’s not just that they’re “representing” something- they’re being paid for it, and I don’t think they deserve such a position given what they’ve done while holding it.

In terms of your second paragraph, I think if you lose your job you’re far more likely to take what’s happened more seriously. Granted, they’ve got a noticeable punishment, but a year down the line they may well have forgetter about it. It’s a far lesser threat to have in your mind than your job security. It would certainly be tougher on them, but they deserve it for the serious offence they’ve committed imo- though obviously no matter what happens Lawrence does need some help, but feel that issue should be kept separate despite the obvious link.

Don’t doubt for a second that other players have done similar and not got sacked, I just don’t agree with it. Particulary when they ran away from the scene, that would’ve been the final nail in the coffin of their employment so to speak for me. Appreciate others may hold different views, that’s what the forum is for- but that’s my opinion on what the club should’ve done, simple as. Can’t really argue with the court punishment as that’s the law, fairly imo, but the club can take a more subjective view.

36 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Not really an equivalent, this is paid employment we’re talking about that these players don’t deserve here anymore (imo), it’s not just that they’re “representing” something- they’re being paid for it, and I don’t think they deserve such a position given what they’ve done while holding it.

In terms of your second paragraph, I think if you lose your job you’re far more likely to take what’s happened more seriously. Granted, they’ve got a noticeable punishment, but a year down the line they may well have forgetter about it. It’s a far lesser threat to have in your mind than your job security. It would certainly be tougher on them, but they deserve it for the serious offence they’ve committed imo- though obviously no matter what happens Lawrence does need some help, but feel that issue should be kept separate despite the obvious link.

Don’t doubt for a second that other players have done similar and not got sacked, I just don’t agree with it. Particulary when they ran away from the scene, that would’ve been the final nail in the coffin of their employment so to speak for me. Appreciate others may hold different views, that’s what the forum is for- but that’s my opinion on what the club should’ve done, simple as. Can’t really argue with the court punishment as that’s the law, fairly imo, but the club can take a more subjective view.

Why are they representing DCFC in their own spare time?

When you go out for a drink are you representing your workplace?

Certainly hope I'm not when I go out on the lash!

41 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

They will take it very seriously.

They will have suffered already and will still be suffering for their actions. 

They should do all they can to redeem themselves but the club has behaved correctly IMO 

27 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Because they’re employees of Derby- you’re always in some way linked to who you’re working for in any action you take because they’ve chosen to employ you. If I decide to go out tonight and beat the poo out of some poor pensioner (I’m not going to, I’m not a psycho!) then I’d expect it won’t look good on who I’m working for to have someone like that employed- regardless of whether it’s anything to do with them or not.

Obviously, when you’re the average joe like most of us lot, then no one would make the association because we’re not in the public eye. But with footballers, they very much are, and anything they do is linked straight away to the club by the media- as we’ve seen in this whole saga.

25 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

I think that's in quite a few employment contracts.

If I were to bring disrepute upon my employer ... even in my own time ... it is a disciplinary offence ... including when on the lash!

I just did a Google search on it, and the following article from some solicitors came up - specifically about sportsmen that bring their club into disrepute:

https://www.mincoffs.co.uk/latest/bringing-an-employer-into-disrepute/

I think that it says that the club might have a code of conduct, which may give guidance about the club's view. 

They have been punished by the court and by the club. Because they were over the limit, they will also have lost the amount they paid for their cars. I know I did stuff at their age that I wouldn't dream of doing now and we can only hope that they will have learned a valuable lesson and won't be so stupid again. 

13 minutes ago, Ken Tram said:

I think that's in quite a few employment contracts.

If I were to bring disrepute upon my employer ... even in my own time ... it is a disciplinary offence ... including when on the lash!

I just did a Google search on it, and the following article from some solicitors came up - specifically about sportsmen that bring their club into disrepute:

https://www.mincoffs.co.uk/latest/bringing-an-employer-into-disrepute/

I think that it says that the club might have a code of conduct, which may give guidance about the club's view. 

It depends on context a lot I think, but in these modern times I'm pretty sure most employers would have *some* expectation that their staff won't bring shame on them even outside the workplace.

We’ve known about Lawrence losing his mum since May. I have to question the alcohol dependency. 

Why haven’t the club offered more support? Are they doing more? I really think they should be though as it’s probably impacting him an awful lot. He definitely needs help. 

3 minutes ago, ThePrisoner said:

We’ve known about Lawrence losing his mum since May. I have to question the alcohol dependency. 

Why haven’t the club offered more support? Are they doing more? I really think they should be though as it’s probably impacting him an awful lot. He definitely needs help. 

We know now that he needs help, what we don't know is how good he was at hiding his problems before this.

Archived