A media storm is brewing

Jonesy90

Derby haven't been scared to sail close to the media storm under Mel Morris' guidance, the last 2 years in fact, the club has shown professionalism and dignity dealing with Frank Lampard, Gary Rowett, Spygate, two play-off defeats and a story regarding the former CEO.

My fear is that Derby's addiction for coverage will soon come back to bite them. Confrontations with the EFL over media payments, FFP, inquiry into selling Pride Park Stadium, 'unique' shirt sponsorship deal, Wayne Rooney... push Derby further towards an open door of doom. A door which leads to a fine, negative publicity and a disillusionment among fans.

All this, undermining and overshadowing the main part of the club which is the football - a club that have appointed a quiet, thoughtful, long-term appointment and coach in Phillip Cocu. Someone who coaches, who's approach needs time, and someone who prefers the light shone elsewhere.

I'm sure the intentions of the Exec team are well versed and commercially savvy, but coaxing media relations, whether self inflicted or not, will be of detriment and act as a juxtaposition to this footballing project under Cocu. Time to step out of the limelight, just for a short while?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
58 minutes ago, Jonesy90 said:

Derby haven't been scared to sail close to the media storm under Mel Morris' guidance, the last 2 years in fact, the club has shown professionalism and dignity dealing with Frank Lampard, Gary Rowett, Spygate, two play-off defeats and a story regarding the former CEO.

My fear is that Derby's addiction for coverage will soon come back to bite them. Confrontations with the EFL over media payments, FFP, inquiry into selling Pride Park Stadium, 'unique' shirt sponsorship deal, Wayne Rooney... push Derby further towards an open door of doom. A door which leads to a fine, negative publicity and a disillusionment among fans.

All this, undermining and overshadowing the main part of the club which is the football - a club that have appointed a quiet, thoughtful, long-term appointment and coach in Phillip Cocu. Someone who coaches, who's approach needs time, and someone who prefers the light shone elsewhere.

I'm sure the intentions of the Exec team are well versed and commercially savvy, but coaxing media relations, whether self inflicted or not, will be of detriment and act as a juxtaposition to this footballing project under Cocu. Time to step out of the limelight, just for a short while?

I think you worry too much. 

1 hour ago, Jonesy90 said:

I think it’s the beast from the east at least that’s what they say in the paper 

I think this is yet another unnecessary gloomy topic to add to the general grumbling that this forum is rife with currently

Cheer up mate! It'll all be okay and until then have a nice cuppa and a biscuit (I just did) and it'll make the world seem that must better

Get a dog

2 hours ago, Jonesy90 said:

I think totally the opposite. 

It's not Derby that are driving coverage of the ground sale or anything to do with FFP, its the moaning of other clubs and the media's need to fill 24 hours of coverage online/broadcast. If you look, Derby have not actually been commenting on any of the last week's stuff or the Daily Mail's anti-Rooney agenda, which is the right tack to take. So you can hardly say they are addicted to coverage. Quite the opposite. They are keeping their head down.

Rooney in my opinion is a brilliant piece of business for the club, both commercially and on the playing side. Don't tell me he isn't better than anyone we have in midfield, or that he won't get bums on seats. 

It's only because there's an international break so there's not much to talk about, added to the fact its been a slow start. 

Cheer up!

2 hours ago, cheron85 said:

I think this is yet another unnecessary gloomy topic to add to the general grumbling that this forum is rife with currently

Cheer up mate! It'll all be okay and until then have a nice cuppa and a biscuit (I just did) and it'll make the world seem that must better

What brand of tea and what type of biscuit? 

This topic will live or die on the facts. 

5 hours ago, Jonesy90 said:

I consider football to be a sport - I am an old fuddy duddy and Corinthian , so my view is wrong ! Footy it is now 100% part of entertainment industry and has to engage with that in order to compete in financial terms and be able to field a competitive sporting team.

everything we see re Rooney, Lampard, FFP is just part of that ride. I have to live with it, just as I have to live with divers and cheats. Don’t really like it but its part of your “package” You have to include it in order to get the sport section .. meh so what, I hope our creatives are as bright as theirs. End of story 

Archived